T26E4 Super Pershing Pilot #1 - HobbyBoss 1/35 - Finished and in the Gallery 13/05/19

PlaStix

21 hours ago, PlaStix said:

I have also done the weathering on the lower hull sides plus added the suspension arms. Hopefully you will be able to see that the arms have been fitted so the front of the tank looks to be sitting lower. It was @SleeperService who mentioned that the weight of the additional armour lowered the front:

You've absolutely nailed it Sir!

What do you do for the splattered mud on the hull sides? It looks a lot better than anything I've tried. I only steal ideas from the best :D

• Thanks 1

On 26/04/2019 at 21:07, modelling minion said:

Here we go! This is where the real magic starts to happen.

The tracks look better than anything I could do already, the Desert Yellow really works well.

I really like what you have done with the lower hull, very effective indeed.

Can't wait for the next installment!!

Hi Craig. As ever you are way too kind. Not done anything extra on the tracks yet but I have been working on the turret - fancied getting it a bit further along.

On 26/04/2019 at 21:10, wimbledon99 said:

Ditto what Craig said. It's looking fantastic already, Stix!! :thumbsup:

Thank you Nigel.

On 27/04/2019 at 07:25, Hewy said:

Simply gorgeous, love how that thinned desert yellow has turned out too

Hi Glynn and thank you. Yes I found a while ago that very thinned Desert Yellow makes a good base for further weathering on tracks.

On 27/04/2019 at 18:00, SleeperService said:

You've absolutely nailed it Sir!

What do you do for the splattered mud on the hull sides? It looks a lot better than anything I've tried. I only steal ideas from the best :D

Hi SleeperService - thank you for making me aware in the first place.

With regards the weathering effects on the lower hull sides - I first stippled on very, very thinned Humbrol Desert Yellow - making sure that lower areas are slightly more concentrated in colour coverage. I then stippled on very, very thinned Humbrol Dark Earth on lower areas of the hull, but in patches - it sort off makes these areas are still damp and the Dersert Yellow areas are the dried dirt. The textured mud is Vallejo's European thick mud - which has stuff in it that makes it look like there's some bits of vegitation in it. I applied this very sparingly with a cocktail stick - trying to work out were some will be spashed up and where some might have fallen from the moving tracks. It's a bit hit and miss but I think you need to know when to stop! It would be too easy just to plaster the stuff on!

As I mentioned above - over the weekend I decided I wanted to do some work on the turret - so most of it is assembled and I have started the weathering. The gun, front armour plate and 'ears' are not glued in place yet:

47714853321_40258281c0_h.jpg

32771446567_c9d5a42d24_h.jpg

It is quite an ugly looking thing!!

I also took a few photos with the turret in place:

47714853051_e1ea26cf33_h.jpg

32771445807_a797a1fbe2_h.jpg

32771445307_0a82a97b43_h.jpg

47714852171_10c87016b7_h.jpg

32771444297_8a775a3a3a_h.jpg

I'm probably going to work on the side stowage bins next.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

On 30/04/2019 at 16:18, Hewy said:

Lovely bit of weathering on the edges of the turret  stix, it's coming together very well

Thank you Glynn. Got some of the edges done on the side stowage boxes now.

On 30/04/2019 at 17:45, modelling minion said:

Very nice work on the turret Stix, I must agree with you that the additions to the turret for this version really do make it ugly though.

Hi Craig and thank you. With regards the ugly - when I bought this kit cheap a while back (I think I got it for £23) I had, sort of, intended to make it without some of the aditional armour - it looks so bad - but I decided, as I was building it in this GB, that it might be a bit different. It's not growing on me in terms of looks yet though!

On 30/04/2019 at 18:00, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Wow loving the mud and the turret ! Its really turning out well so far. 

Thank you very much Dennis.

On 01/05/2019 at 14:11, wimbledon99 said:

The weathering  / rusting on the turret is superb. Looks so real!!!! :clap:

Thank you Nigel - you are too kind!

As I mentioned in my last post - I have been painting and starting the weathering on the side stowage bins:

33882710978_2a869908d6_h.jpg

Next I will get these fitted and probably do some work on the additional front glacis armour. I'm hoping, with a three day weekend coming up, to get this project quite a bit further along. I'll need to start doing the decals and final weathering on the main hull.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 3

Looking great Stix - makes me want to hunt out my 1/72 one and finish it off!

All the best 

Ben

• Thanks 1

Hi Stix,

Been away for a while, so just catching up. Superb work as always. I was expecting you to be finished and making the diorama though!

Rearguards

Badder

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 03/05/2019 at 14:47, SoftScience said:

I love how you made the armored plates on the turret look like actual slabs of steel! That's amazeballs! 

Hi SoftScience. You are waaaayyy too kind but thank you. 

On 03/05/2019 at 17:01, modelling minion said:

It may not be aesthetically pleasing but the work you are doing to it certainly is.

Thank you Craig. Now it's all together - please see below - it does look a bit more 'interesting' and okay.

On 03/05/2019 at 18:26, badger said:

Looking great Stix - makes me want to hunt out my 1/72 one and finish it off!

All the best 

Ben

Thank you Ben. I'd be interested to see your 1/72 version.

On 05/05/2019 at 17:55, Badder said:

Hi Stix,

Been away for a while, so just catching up. Superb work as always. I was expecting you to be finished and making the diorama though!

Rearguards

Badder

Hi Badder. I had noticed you hadn't been about for a while. Hope everything is okay and it's great to have you back around! Yeah, I thought it might be finished a bit sooner but, because of the way I do things, it took me longer than I expected to get everything together - but I got there over the weekend.

So a busy three days on this has resulted in it being all basically together and the main weathering completed. With regards the weathering I still have some areas I want to work on. There's still a few bits of detailing to do as well - fitting an aerial, painting the rear lights and adding some oil streaks and stains, etc. but the main vehicle is now all together:

32843902757_dfcfe62267_h.jpg

46998152824_16a3723d04_h.jpg

46998152634_0b3bee5733_h.jpg

46998340584_74578045fd_h.jpg

46998340474_75345ae6ed_h.jpg

46998340364_0f02597ec8_h.jpg

46998340254_972cc8a3ee_h.jpg

I also made a start on the Tamiya figures I'm going to use and some of the tools from the old Italeri Feild Tool Shop set:

46872242975_2b4348877b_h.jpg

I have assembled them and altered one of the arms on the kneeling engineer and given them a coat of Matt Revell's Anthracite - yes the finsh is matt but it looks glossy in the photo!

I'm going to make a start on the base this week and I may try something different to my usual bases.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 9

Now that was a worthwhile weekend if you ask me!  It really is a bit of a brute isn't it?

Super weathering even at this stage, and once again I'm loving your mud-work.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Thanks 1

Awesome looking vehicle 🙂 the weathering and finish is spot on as usual. Great job, looking forward to the finished base and figures.

• Thanks 1

That really does look fantastic Stix.

You're right, the turret does look much better now that its completed and installed on the chasis.

Awesome weathering as usual.

the figures look like they will work well, mind you the standing one does remind me of the old Soviet era statues with his pose and I suppose the all over colour helps too :) .

• Thanks 1

Hello Stix... just letting everyone know we’re halfway through the allotted time for the build. Can't wait to see what you do for a base. With the tools & mechanics im guessing a motor-pool, tank lager, or a field maintenance setting ? 

Dennis

• Thanks 1

On 07/05/2019 at 17:22, Badder said:

Now that was a worthwhile weekend if you ask me!  It really is a bit of a brute isn't it?

Super weathering even at this stage, and once again I'm loving your mud-work.

Rearguards,

Badder

Hi Badder and thank you for your kind comments. Yep it was a brute!

On 07/05/2019 at 19:34, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Wow thats good looking. I never realized on this tank that the drive sprocket and forward roller are a middle height. Like they are with the later model Pattons ? 

Hi Dennis and thank you for your comments. I hadn't spotted the height of the sprocket and idler until you mentioned it.

On 07/05/2019 at 19:35, Yetifan said:

Awesome looking vehicle 🙂 the weathering and finish is spot on as usual. Great job, looking forward to the finished base and figures.

Hi Yetifan and thank you very much for your kind comments. It is all now completed so hopefully it looks okay.

On 07/05/2019 at 20:42, Hewy said:

Fast work but most impressive stix, looks to me like your nailing the new paints, love the weathering 

Hi Glynn. thank you for your kind comments and yes - I was surprised I had got it finished. I must admit I have rushed it a bit in places - wanted to make sure I could start something in the Tiger STGB next weekend!!

On 07/05/2019 at 21:55, modelling minion said:

That really does look fantastic Stix.

You're right, the turret does look much better now that its completed and installed on the chasis.

Awesome weathering as usual.

the figures look like they will work well, mind you the standing one does remind me of the old Soviet era statues with his pose and I suppose the all over colour helps too :) .

Hi Craig and thank you, as usual, for your kind comments. The turret and it's 'add-ons' still look odd but it does work better in place on the hull. And I know what you mean about the standing figure - I think it looks even more so now it's painted!

On 11/05/2019 at 00:48, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello Stix... just letting everyone know we’re halfway through the allotted time for the build. Can't wait to see what you do for a base. With the tools & mechanics im guessing a motor-pool, tank lager, or a field maintenance setting ? 

Dennis

Thank you for the update - I'm done!! Nothing quite as fancy as your ideas I'm afraid. I may add something more at some point in the future but the GB calendar is a bit busy at the moment. Thank you for suggesting this GB and for hosting so well. I will still be around to help out.

On 11/05/2019 at 00:53, wimbledon99 said:

Hi Stix,

Where did you get that 1:1 print of the kit instructions and who drove the tank for you??

Looks so real!

:rofl2: Way too kind Nigel........way too kind.......but thank you.

Well over the past weekend i decided to get a shift on with this so I can start a project in the Panzer IV Tiger STGB next weekend.

I had a lot of fun building this and a big thank you to @Corsairfoxfouruncle for his suggesting and hosting this Gb and to everyone who took the time to comment and offer suggestions in this thread.

Just one photo here:

32891917567_d6479d16ae_h.jpg

The RFI photos of the tank itself can be found here:

The Vignette photos can be found here:

and the Gallery photos can be found here:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 3

A fantastic piece of work my friend, should say a work of art.

To me the pictures that show just how good this are are the ones of the rear of the tank in the RFI and Vignette section as the weathering and dirt are just superb.

I'm already looking forward to your Tiger!!

• Like 1

That turned out really well Stix. Steve Zaloga did this in MM some years ago, only his was a conversion as the Hobbyboss kit wasn't around then, and I remember thinking at the time, that's one b****y great big gun.

John.