H&S vs Iwata vs ?

Chris Jephcott

Hello everybody, 

Having been a user of H&S and a 2in1 infinity for nearly 10 years now, I’ve decided it’s time to replace my set up a bit - my compressor has been on the blink for ages and it seems right now to consider my options for an airbrush moving forwards. 

I suspect that this will be a divisive post but what I’m really after is a bit of advice. 

What I’m looking for is a detail airbrush - I tend to only use 0.2mm needle for both fine detail work and area work (I know I might be silly for this but... it seems to work for me!). However, that’s not to preclude using a 0.3 and a 0.2 needle too. 

Iwata always get a good write up from their fans. Reliable and hard working, but with very expensive spares. I think you can get a 0.2 nozzle cap and nozzle which sit on the 0.3 needle? This would tick my boxes 

H&S though - I’ve been using for years and years. The spares are decently priced - and it’s simple to use/clean. A decent amount of me says to stick with what I know and upgrade? Which is also a very valid option... 

With this in mind, my budget is around £400 all in (compressor, set up and airbrush!) - so please, I would appreciate any input on this. I would love to make a decision ASAP as I can’t progress on my Felixstowe until I know what I’m going to do!!! 

Thank you you very much everybody!!! 

Chris 

As I understand it, the size of the needle is more to do with what kind of paint you're going to be using than the fineness of line or detail of the finish you can achieve. I've got an Iwata Eclipse (my first airbrush, ten years old and still going strong after one new nozzle) and an H&S Evolution Al Plus. The H&S tends to stay plugged into the air hose most of the time, though I prefer the Eclipse for laying down 2K clear on car bodies. Any particular reason why you want to change from the H&S? If it works for you, then I'd stick with the brand you know. As for a compressor, I have a Simair TC200:

http://www.ziggyart.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=345

Which has been plugging away very happily on my workbench for over a decade with zero maintenance except to clear the incoming air filter occasionally. It's pretty quiet (makes less noise than my spray booth extractor...), and despite having no tank provides completely smooth airflow in enough volume to drive any of my brushes...

best,

M.

Your opening a can of worms here,your going to get Iwata fans saying their brilliant and H&S doing the same.

Unless you feel like a change I'd stick to what your used too, you've already got the H&S mastered so won't have to learn a new airbrush if you know what I mean

I appreciate the thoughts so far! 

It’s a bit of a can of worms... and there is a huge argument that says to stick with what I know. But also, I wouldn’t say I’ve mastered it - more just learn to cope with it! 😂 One of my continual sources of frustration with my current set up is that I find the fine line control really variable - the paint can be thinned exactly the same proportion and pressure the same, but sometimes it does a perfect thin line. Sometimes it just splats out something that vaguely resembles a line! 

Joking aside, it is a fair point - although if I were to continue using H&S, I would look to go down the line of the Infinity Plus CR as opposed to the present Evolution. 

However, when it comes to such decisions, I do always like to have a look around and see what other options are available. 

I had a trial with an Iwata CR plus and was very impressed by the balance and feel though. And that’s what is just in the back of my mind... whether it would be worth moving down this line! Especially if it is going to give me 10-15 years of excellent service! 

Thanks again guys I just would love to hear the pluses and negatives from everybody who has experienced them! 

Chris

Chris I'd be inclined to get another  infinity CR+ 0.2 and the little tank compressor.

Gives you a reliable air source, an airbrush that doesn't need to be learned and your old brush as backup and possibly spares. 

You'll get the new style needle and a reliable air source. 

https://www.modellingtools.co.uk/little-tank-compressor-3442-p.asp

Paul

The fanbois will indeed rave about their brands.

My one suggestion would be a larger nozzle for primer, base, Alclad, and clear coats--I find a 0.5mm nozzle best for those. I use a 0.3mm nozzle for detail work.

Thanks for your response Paul, that’s exactly what I am looking at. It should be an upgrade on what I have now in terms of my set up and the package looks brilliant... I would just need to add a crown cap and it would be a familiar set up. 

That said, I’ve got a friend whose going to lend me an Iwata just for a feel and play about with! 

Chris

18 hours ago, Chris Jephcott said:

Thanks for your response Paul, that’s exactly what I am looking at. It should be an upgrade on what I have now in terms of my set up and the package looks brilliant... I would just need to add a crown cap and it would be a familiar set up. 

That said, I’ve got a friend whose going to lend me an Iwata just for a feel and play about with! 

Chris

Hi Chris,  Infinity comes with the pincer cap.  And should be at the Hinckley show in May.   On Iwata, one thing to bear in mind, is that the mid range HP  brushes with a 0.2mm nozzle come with a small 1.8ml paint cup and the 0,3mm ones come with the larger 9ml.  So if you find the 0.3mm nozzle is the one you need you need to take into account that the 9ml cup could get in the way when you are painting very fine details.

Paul

My thoughts.

I have Iwata brushes but I don't have any brand loyalty.

I came very close to buying the H&S Infinity 2in1, so close I almost pushed the buy button.  But at the time I was just about to visit the US on a business trip and the exchange rate was good.

Iwata stuff is a LOT cheaper in the US and I found I was able to buy an Eclipse and a 0.2mm HP-Plus for the same price as the H&S Infinity 2:1.  It was simply that I liked the idea of two brushes rather than messing around changing needles and heads.

But had I not had that US option I would have bought the H&S Infinity CR 2in1, no question.

Am I happy with my Iwatas - yes I think they are good, though not that keen on how the Eclipse sits in my hand.

But are they better than the H&S Infinity CR - I don't think so, certainly not at my skill level.  There will be aspects that I prefer about the Iwata and aspects that I prefer about the H&S but all in all much the same overall.

The one thing you can't argue with though - the price if Iwatas spares is eye-watering so treat your Iwatas with absolute care.

Being a risk-averse person, I'd say if you are happy with H&S then stick with it.

Cheers,

Nigel

Edited by nheather
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello.

I own several airbrushes, Iwata, H&S, Badger, etc. I may be of some use. :)

For this topic 3 of mine are relevant. Iwata Custom Micron, Iwata HP-C Plus. H&S Infinity CR Plus 2 in 1 V2.0.

I find these all to be wonderful. For finer work, I like using the Custom Micron. Mainly because I love the feel of the Iwata in my hand. The Infinity is easily capable of just as finer work. HP-C Plus is my favorite for everyday work. Again because I like the comfort that comes from the shape of my hand working within the design. Not due to any mechanics or results.

Infinity is also very comfortable and is wonderful to use. The Infinity is far easier to clean. In fact, it is far superior and the parts are less delicate. The nozzle in both Iawata brushes is very small and easily damaged.

My advice would be to stay with H&S if you are happy. The quality existing between these is on par. 

I cannot comment on a compressor due to we living in different places. I will say this. I own 3. I have my H&S set up on one and one of my Iwata's hooked to the other, and the last as back up.

The 4th airbrush I turn to when I want a change being a Badger Sotar 20/20. I have 3 Chinese made Iwata copies I use for large work on diorama canvases.

IHTH.