F-4J(UK) Phantom

This has been a long term project inspired by a photo I’d seen nearly 30 years ago! 

Below is a link to my WIP on this project-

Background story

The Tamiya F-4J provided the basis for this project. Some aftermarket items were used, including GT intakes, Jet pipes, Aires seats, Eduard external PE sets and Flightpath for the AIM-9 acquisition round. Decals were from various sources. The squadron nose marking and crew names were custom made. Safety and rescue markings were created using homemade stencils (Silouhette Portrait Cutter). 

Paints came from MRP.

regards

Andrew

Mrf1n4F.jpg

LeFlkao.jpg

acs9RHP.jpg

D2O0FXR.jpg

4GMwl96.jpg

Edited by TEZ
  • Like 47

very nice model!

The fuselage looks a bit green and shiny in those photos, do you have some more in different lightning, would be great!

I do like the dark blue Sparrow weight dummy! Why only one?

Cheers!

Edited by exdraken

2 minutes ago, exdraken said:

very nice model!

The fuselage looks a bit green and shiny in those photos, do you have some more in different lightning, would be great!

O like the dark blue Spartow weight dummy! Why only one?

Cheers!

Thank you, the F-4J(UK) were noted for having a green hue, and varied in tone depending on the light conditions. They seemed to only carry one ballast round. 

• Like 1

Hello Andrew,

beautiful work! Very nice details in the cockpit and on nose landing gear. To my eye the painting looks great. I like it a lot! The kit is somewhat a "beast" to build but you've done an excellent job🙂

I started mine a couple of years ago but quickly changed to an US example due to lack of decals. By that time I had already made "a million or so" small reinforcement plates all over the aircraft... I had to remove them all.

Kind Regards,

Antti

I have some slides of a Tigers' F-4J(UK) from the RAF Alconbury Air Day in 1986 that shows the plane in an odd greenish cast. Reports at the time said this was due to the primer used by the Americans.

Thanks Antti, this project has been in my head for so long it’s a relief to have finally completed it. You’re right, it is quite an undertaking but once I’d got to the detailing stage I really started to enjoy it. Good luck with your build.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TEZ said:

Thank you, the F-4J(UK) were noted for having a green hue, and varied in tone depending on the light conditions. They seemed to only carry one ballast round. 

Agreed, the greenish hue was down to the undercoat used, and as you say, only one ballast round was carried, it was the Spey engined Phantom's that required two.  Impressive model and the painting is spot on, even down to the black heel marks of the ground crews shoes as they slid from the top of intake onto the wing. :worthy:

Bob

3 minutes ago, triumphfan said:

Lovely model Andrew, gorgeous details and painting.

I recall reading somewhere that this finish was how the F-4J's came over to the UK. Later they were painted in Barley Grey, etc.

Atb, Steve.

Thank you, yes, some were more green than others. As the jets went through for deep overhaul they were sprayed in the correct grays (Off the top of my head only four were sprayed in the ‘right’ colours). 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

Agreed, the greenish hue was down to the undercoat used, and as you say, only one ballast round was carried, it was the Spey engined Phantom's that required two.  Impressive model and the painting is spot on, even down to the black heel marks of the ground crews shoes as they slid from the top of intake onto the wing. :worthy:

Bob

Thank you, I’m intending on adding some ground crew in the near future. 

• Thanks 1

Well.....I have to say you have nailed the colour scheme, which did have that greenish tinge to it in the early days, as others have explained. I fully understand your reasoning with regard to the radome....some of them did have a tendency to 'brown' over time although I am not sure it was to the extent you have portrayed.

Nevertheless this is a very fine reproduction of this classic jet and I feel sure that 'Nouj' would be mightily impressed with the finished article after all the work you have put into it. I had the pleasure to fly with him a couple times when we were both stationed at RAF Valley in the mid 1990s. 

Well Done, Sir ! 

30 minutes ago, Tiger331 said:

Well.....I have to say you have nailed the colour scheme, which did have that greenish tinge to it in the early days, as others have explained. I fully understand your reasoning with regard to the radome....some of them did have a tendency to 'brown' over time although I am not sure it was to the extent you have portrayed.

Nevertheless this is a very fine reproduction of this classic jet and I feel sure that 'Nouj' would be mightily impressed with the finished article after all the work you have put into it. I had the pleasure to fly with him a couple times when we were both stationed at RAF Valley in the mid 1990s. 

Well Done, Sir ! 

Thank you for your comments, particularly so that you have a link to the pilot. If you click on the link ‘background’ you will see just how brown the radome was. 

Regards

Andrew