Simian Stuff Angel Interceptor build

Following on from My Quick in the box review:-

I've decided to start the build blog on My Angel Interceptor.

As mentioned in My Fireball XL5 build, I'm going to be away from the bench for a while due to going in hospital for some surgery, but while I'm waiting to go in I thought I would do what I can on this.

A general dry-fit to see where We're going (12" Rule for scale):-

DSCF1002

DSCF1003

DSCF1004

Gap at wing centre joint and slight hollow will be easily sorted out with P38 (Bondo) filler, I was expecting a few areas that will require trimming and blending in due to the large castings having different shrinkage rates, as stated in the instructions:-

Wing fences are not provided in the kit, so I cut slots into wing with the bandsaw to fit styrene sheet ones, I will probably widen the slots with a couple of hacksaw blades taped together to fit thicker sheet, they appear to be thicker on all the reference that I have got:-

Wings bonded together with two-part epoxy whilst weighted down with  a small weight!!:-

When dry, fit to rear fuselage section was checked, adjusted and bonded together (no clothes pegs were harmed during this procedure!):-

Nose section parts required similar adjustment before bonding together:-

Another Dry-fit and trimmed canopy (good fit and good clarity) checked:-

Joint between fin body and seperate intake section (to allow for painting and mesh fitting) will need a styrene sheet insert, sections line up better with this and tailplane looks OK:-

That's where I'm upto at the moment, nothing really hard to sort out for a limited run kit, will post again next weekend.

Thanks for looking in and......

Keep Sticking!                       Cheers,  Pete

• Like 10

Looking forward to seeing more of this build. An IPMS club colleague of mine picked up something looking rather like this from Telford a few years back which I have been hoping to see him build, so your WIP is of immediate interest.

Is the pilot visually female?

Hope your surgeon is as handy with his scalpel while he has you under the knife, as you have previously demonstrated that you are...…

All the best 

Hi there!

Thom and hunter rose, yes,it's an imposing model, looks big now but in white paint it will stand out even more I think!

gimme shelter, if You follow the link at the beginning of the thread, it will take You to a quick in the box review I did when I got the kit, You will see the pilot is, ahem, anatomically correct!!!! (And there's some very nice boots too.........)

Oh, My surgeon's first name is Magnum, He's gotta be good with a name like that!!!

Thanks got looking in!

keep Sticking!   Cheers,   Pete

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Everyone!

Sorry about the delay in posting,I had'nt done a lot thinking I would be soon going in for My surgery, but found out it is going to be a few months yet!! :(

So,upside is...... back to the bench!:)

Seems like We've got a race on now between Kallisti and Me, it is interesting to see the differences between the earlier release of this kit that Kallisti is building and the more recent one.

Okey doke,

The instructions would have You glueing the the intakes to  the cockpit section before fixing the whole unit to the front of the rear fuselage:-

But the alaignment of the two sections calls for a different approach:-

So I decided to fit the cockpit section first,and then adjust the fit of the intake section seperately to get the best fit:-

( This is one of the differences between the two kits, the earlier one has the intakes moulded in one piece with the cockpit)

024029b

The seperate intakes make for easier painting:-

022a

029a

029b

Nurse!! P38!!

Filler strip fitted to fin, and inside vent surfaces painted black:-

Inside edges of tail vent painted white, mesh painted Nato Black and all parts glued together:-

More Soon!

Keep Sticking!

Cheers,  Pete

• Like 8

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Everyone!

Sorry for the lack of updates, been in hospital for a week having a heart attack sorted out, bit of a nuisence!

Been told to lie low for a bit, no angle grinding!

I'll pick the build up when I feel a bit more 'Normal' (that's been a while anyway!:D)

I'll be popping in to see how everybody is getting on with Their builds!

Keep Sticking! (Ticking?)

Cheers,  Pete

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, morty_3333 said:

been in hospital for a week having a heart attack sorted out, bit of a nuisence!

I found that too. They do give you a different viewpoint on life though.

Take it easy, LISTEN to the Doctors and act accordingly and you'll be back at it very soon.

All the best

Pete

hi Pete!

Thanks for the reply, yes, I am listening to the Doc, I'm having a bit of a bumble about, but get tired very quickly,glad You got sorted after Yours.

Take care,    cheers,  Pete

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, morty_3333 said:

but get tired very quickly

I forgot about that bit. If you feel tired, take a nap, they help a lot.

Positive vibes! This is your second chance at this life business, don't waste it.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

You have my sympathies, I was shocked how long its taken after my surgery to feel anything like normal again - its been 3 weeks for me and still not feeling up to much, today in particualr for whatever reason. Follow the Doctor's orders and get well soon, want to see how your build comes out!

Its been interesting to see the difference between the two generations of build. I would have thought the breakdown of parts would have reduced the resin shrinkage problems but it doesn't seem to have done that and looks like you've got a LOT of sanding in your future! Good luck with the resin holes!