1/48 Mars Model La-15

You're most welcome to join in with this one Ernie. Not least because I want to see how well this kit goes together as I'm tempted to get one myself ;) 

7 hours ago, Ernie said:

I would like to join in with this if I could 

Welcome to the jungle! 😁

gena_12.jpg

😁😁

B.R.

Serge

P.S.Looks like I need to update one of my topic in this GB!

🤔

Edited by Aardvark

• 2 weeks later...

I was able to make a start on this. So far I am very happy with this kit. The plastic parts are nicely done, and the extra fine, detail is made up from photo etch elements. I started with the cockpit. Almost every plastic part had photo etch added to it. In looking at photos of a surviving La-15 the cockpit seems to be quite faithful to the original.

47467146112_f937b6f576_c.jpg

The front bulkhead with etched rudder pedals.

46604388555_d3c150421a_c.jpg

The seat, which is a multi part assembly of plastic parts before etched details are added.

40553839643_7b5bed1a5d_c.jpg

32577418547_d6a6d50dc7_c.jpg

A couple photos of the cockpit with the pieces just sat into place. On to the painting now, which hopefully will bring all the pieces to life!

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Ernie said:

47467146112_f937b6f576_c.jpg

The front bulkhead with etched rudder pedals.

Balloon it's oxygen tank. I don't know how MM show coloured in 48th assembling, but in 72nd assembling this balloon grey as other interior cockpit. I think, it's wrong. Because on Soviet colour standard for oxygen was reserved blue colour, for compressed air, black.

In civilian use Blue colour for oxygen balloon was different shadow, maybe close Humbrol 47, maybe close Humbrol 89, maybe more deep blue, you may see colour oxygen balloon in wing main wheel bay MiG-21.

About survive La-15. It has many traces of repainting. Moreover, as noted by those who saw it, a new paint was simply applied over the old one.

Therefore, to determine whether the fuel tank inside main wheel bay was painted in silver or gray is not presented as possible.

B.R.

Serge

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for the info Serge, I appreciate it. There was no color callout for the ball, but I assumed it was a reservoir of some type.  The photos of the cockpit of the surviving La-15 do show that it was overpainted (poorly), the instructions indicate that the cockpit should be AMT 7. In the pictures of the wheel bay, the tank appears silver, and the paint is in better condition than the cockpit, so maybe it is original?? Hard to say?

3 hours ago, Ernie said:

assumed it was a reservoir of some type

About oxygen information from official factory technical Russian  manual on La-15.  I just have scan copy. But in  technical manual nothing about coloring La-15.🤗 Yes, in technical manual have photo cockpit interior but she's black & white. Oxygen balloon in technical manual depicted as a drawing, naturally without coloring. Therefore, only analogies.

3 hours ago, Ernie said:

instructions indicate that the cockpit should be AMT 7.

Did they really write it in the instructions for the 48th?

If I don't mistake, 

Did they really write it in the instructions for the 72th they write A-14 grey for cockpit interior.

Some researchers point out that AMT-7 could have been used as a paint interior on Soviet fighters of 2 WW, but this was not a standard.

After 2 WW use nex interiors colour:

- A-14 grey 

- A-15 green

- PF-36 grey

From the 70s years there was an interior blue-green.

As I see on b&w photo from technical manual interior colour La-15 was grey,  A-14 or PF-36 unknown. 

4 hours ago, Ernie said:

In the pictures of the wheel bay, the tank appears silver, and the paint is in better condition than the cockpit, so maybe it is original?? Hard to say?

Tank was covered with fabric, and then painted.

Whether it was painted in silver or gray is not clear.

Thus You may paint tank as in silver so in grey.

I don't know as  I will paint the tank on my La-15 in 72nd.

B.R.

Serge

• Like 2