Fairey Albacore, 1/48. 'Carry On Flying ....'

On 3/25/2019 at 9:17 PM, Navy Bird said:

How was it doing all the rigging? That always keeps me away from biplanes.

Bill

Rigging was a little fidly, but not as bad as I thought it was going to be. I used fine Nylon fishing line, located in pre-drilled holes I made in the relevant locating points, with a 0.3mm drill bit in a pin vice, the holes being drilled before any parts were assembled. The fishing line is held in place with superglue.

Once again thanks for the comments, I am genuinely pleased how it turned out. :)

Also adding to the list of famous or well know people who were aircrew (as some of you have mentioned above), a friend of mine, 'Mike H', has reminded me of the fact that the Welsh actor Talfryn Thomas (who played 'Mr Cheeseman' in Dad's Army) was the rear gunner on Lancasters during WWII, flying on several missions, and did in fact survive a crash in a Lancaster on one occasion when all other members of the crew were killed apparently.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A superb build of an often overlooked and somewhat maligned type which fulfilled some important roles for the fleet. I wish there was a decent 1/72 version readily available. 

I never knew about Butterworth's wartime career. That golden generation were very modest about their achievements.  Butterworth played some of my favourite characters in the Carry On series which,  in my view,  are as important to British culture as shakespeare.  It seems ironic that many of his roles were of a somewhat cowardly nature.

Edited by Meatbox8
Finger trouble

I love any and all 'man behind the machine' stories...but as a life-long fan of the 'Carry On' films, this one is extra-special. And the build, of course, is every bit as special!

An excellent result and an excellent tribute to all those hearty souls who manned such machines!

On 3/24/2019 at 4:27 PM, 85sqn said:

Absolutely superb! I have Trumpeters offering on the go at the moment and there's quite abit to correct. Might have been better just to start with the SH kit!

I have not had a close look at the Trumpeter kit, so cannot offer a direct first-hand comparison unfortunately, although I was a little disappointed that no ordnance whatsoever is included in the Special Hobby kit. From what I can gather, the final mission flown by Peter Butterworth in this 'plane was essentially a bombing mission, so a loadout of 6 x 250 lb bombs seemed quite logical, there are numerous pics of Albacores with a typical bomb load such as this. So, that is the bomb load I decided upon!  (Rightly or wrongly .... :) ).  I scratch-built 1 x 250 lb bomb, made a mould from it, and then cast 6 x 250 lb bombs, in resin, to hang beneath the wings.  (The sway-braces for bombs are included in the Special Hobby kit, however, unfortunately half of those were missing from my kit, so I had to mould those in resin too!  No rest for the wicked .... :D ).

The 6 x 250 lb bombs and sway-braces, cast in resin.

46577562785_63982f0259_o.jpg

B)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello Neil,

Thanks for sharing this very remarkable AC with us.

You did a marvelous job on this little gem. What a superb finish.

Just recently finished the article referring to this type of aircraft during the war in Malta.

Together with the Swordfish they were the first line of defense and strike capability from the RN.

With the numerous defense cuts (in Europe) the ones on static display could be called on again.

There is almost no hardware left over.

Regards, Orion / The Netherlands

On 3/24/2019 at 3:15 PM, general melchett said:

Great job, really looks the part and interesting back story regarding Peter Butterworth.

Add to that Roald Dahl, (pilot, Gladiators and Hurricanes), Michael Rennie (fighter pilot/instructor), Patrick Moore, (navigator, Wellingtons) and Denholm Elliot, (radio operator/gunner on Halifaxes).

And a little farther back, Mervyn Johns (R.E.8's)  Bob Cratchett was Biggles:

• Like 2

Thanks once more for the comments, and it sounds as if some of you are as surprised as I was when I found out about Peter Butterworths military history. :D

I didn't really take enough pics to do a full 'In Progress' build as such, but here are a few I did take.

The kit interior, many resin and photo-etched parts are included inside the Special Hobby kit. After rubbing down that odd shaped 'thingy' on the left hand side (could be a fuel tank, maybe??) the raised ribs or straps around it were partially removed so I replaced them with strips of tape.

47453478742_41942ec4bc_o.jpg

Interior painted up, added some plastic rod to the engine to simulate exhaust headers.

47506261661_a171b92d25_o.jpg

I cut the canopy into three, so that the pilots section could be placed open. The side panes on the Albacore hinged down, and the top section slid back over the upper wing.

47453478632_8b075b1996_o.jpg

The upper surface of the lower wing, and the underside of the upper wing were painted before assembly, would of been awkward to get to once assembled with all the struts and rigging in the way.

33629544898_de6ba56047_o.jpg

I used Montex masks on the large canopy surface, would of been a nightmare to mask up before painting otherwise!  Sprayed it Interior Green before the camo colours were applied so that the Interior Green would be visible on the inner face of the framing.

33629544978_be41b77f92_o.jpg

47453478542_7384c15d3b_o.jpg

A couple of views of the gloss camo colours applied, decals on and partially assembled before weathering. Used Xtracolour enamels for the camo, thinned with Cellulose Thinners for spraying purposes.

47453478462_d31ec79374_o.jpg

47453478402_6ebaa288f6_o.jpg

B)

• Like 4

• 1 year later...

Slight case of thread resurrection (2 years after the original post!).  On the previous page I provided a link to an article detailing what happened to Peter Butterworth after this aircraft crashed, in that link is a picture of his crashed 'plane. Managed to find another pic of his crash aircraft, burnt out, on the beach. Pic below.

Now, to coin a phrase, 'Carry On' ...... 👍

51050149562_054e829223_c.jpg

😎

Can't add much more than what's been said, but again, great story and superb modelling!

The odd shaped thing is indeed the fuel tank.

I have 1/72 kits of this aircraft to tackle, SH and Pegasus. 

Inspiring indeed!

Davey.

Not quite sure how I missed this excellent thread from 2019!  I knew Butterworth had a wartime career and ended up in Stalag Luft III but never realised he was in an Applecore! 

He still makes me laugh in Up the Khyber which is probably the best of the series.

Superb model Neil, my attempt at this has been on the shelf of doom for some time but I feel inspired to dig it out. Thanks for the link too, very informative 👍

Mike

Edited by mick b

2 hours ago, mick b said:

He still makes me laugh in Up the Khyber which is probably the best of the series.

Mike

Ah, the Dinner Party scene from that one, with Peter Butterworth as Brother Belcher, definitely one of the best!  ...... 👍 😀

😎