Fairey Albacore, 1/48. 'Carry On Flying ....'

Well I'd never have had picked him as a WWII pilot.....I'm still learnning, obviously. Thanks for the background story.

Lovely build, just enough weathering and chipping to look good. I'm no expert on Albacores, but it looks real good to me. 

Cheers :thumbsup:

Gaz

• Like 1

Absolutely superb! I have Trumpeters offering on the go at the moment and there's quite abit to correct. Might have been better just to start with the SH kit!

Thanks for the comments, much appreciated.  I have been watching the 'Carry On' series of films all my life, since I was a young lad (like alot of us here ....!!) and that kind of humour was very much a 'staple-diet' type of comedy in my formative years, and even now too, to be honest. I always liked Peter's style of performance and delivery, very much one of my favourite characters actually, although obviously people such as Sid James, Barbara Windsor, Kenneth Williams etc tended to receive more of the limelight. I have lost count of the number of times I have seen all those films, and all the years I have watched them, I never, NEVER knew that Peter was a pilot in the FAA during WWII, let alone being shot down and taken prisoner for almost the entire War. Only found this out relatively recently, and the fact that he was based out of RAF Bircham Newton (in my neck of the woods) obviously swayed me towards building a model of his aircraft.

His wartime captivity is interesting in itself. For example, while in Stalag Luft III, he was actually one of the prisoners vaulting, covering for those who were escaping during the incident in the book/film 'The Wooden Horse', although ironically, he auditioned for a part in that film in 1949 but didn't get it because the film makers didn't think he looked convincing enough ......!!.   :wall:

Here's a link to a brief history of how Peter and his crew were shot down, and his capture (escape!!), capture again, and imprisonment during WWII. Scroll down to part titled:       * The Second Albacore L7089 4-R and how S/Lt.Peter Butterworth was caught by the Germans*

http://www.626-squadron.co.uk/willem25.htm

He was a top bloke indeed! 

B)

• Like 1

Great looking Albacore & a fascinating back story.

The service careers of actors like Peter Butterworth would make a fascinating book. Jimmy Edwards awarded a DFC at Arnhem, Bob Todd - air gunner, Patrick Macnee - MTB navigator to name but three.

Pete

• Like 2

Very nice job on the aircraft and great research for the specific plane and the background you have provided.  I really appreciate the history aspect of this hobby, it makes such a difference to put a human face with the events.  Thanks for posting.

Great job, really looks the part and interesting back story regarding Peter Butterworth.

The service careers of actors like Peter Butterworth would make a fascinating book. Jimmy Edwards awarded a DFC at Arnhem, Bob Todd - air gunner, Patrick Macnee - MTB navigator to name but three.

Add to that Roald Dahl, (pilot, Gladiators and Hurricanes), Michael Rennie (fighter pilot/instructor), Patrick Moore, (navigator, Wellingtons) and Denholm Elliot, (radio operator/gunner on Halifaxes).

• Like 5

The super build and the great backstory together make this one of the threads of the year so far in my book.  I love the story that he didn't get a role in 'The Wooden Horse' despite being one of the actual vaulters!

11 hours ago, kiwitrogg said:

Well I'd never have had picked him as a WWII pilot.....I'm still learnning, obviously. Thanks for the background story.

Lovely build, just enough weathering and chipping to look good. I'm no expert on Albacores, but it looks real good to me. 

Cheers :thumbsup:

Gaz

Bob Todd, who was one of the sidekicks in the Benny Hill Show, was a Lancaster navigator during WII

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Graeme said:

Bob Todd, who was one of the sidekicks in the Benny Hill Show, was a Lancaster navigator during WII

I stand corrected, that's what happens when I rely on my memory!

Pete

What a stunning Albacore,.......amazing job and thanks for telling us about Peter Butterworth too,.....I didn`t know that about him,..... respect. 

Cheers

Tony

Add Laurence Olivier & Ralph Richardson to the list - both Fleet Air Arm pilots, and both (according to their own accounts) known for regular crashes!

Beautiful ‘applecore’.   Lovely job.

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU