1/48 II Sqn Hunter FR10

RMP2

Hello!

I started this a while back, but due to various life things and a bit of frustration with the resin conversion parts it got left at a very early stage.

Current state of affairs:

46539048915_acece4c95f_b.jpg

And the original thread from last summer:

Good luck everyone!

• Like 2

as Col said....though without the whip.....he can get carried away!

Welcome along and an interesting choice as well, something a little bit different and with some resin bits as well.

Good luck with the build, hopefully you'll finally get to finish her this time, and we WILL get to see her in the gallery!!! :fight: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Oooooh look at that shiney thing over there...... ;)

Cheers, guys. I feel the pressure already!

Just finishing off the undercarriage on THAT Jaguar and then Im on with the Hunter. I promise!

• Like 1

Tis the truth. But hit a bit of an issue with a slight lack of paint for the forgotten anti-glare panel....

So, fighting with the resin bum end has begun on the Hunter!!

Its a fiddly bugger this Hunter with its funky intake parts, fitting it into the wings and getting everything lined up nicely.

Think Im going with intakes fitted to the wings, the stick the whole lot to each side and then glue the fuselage together, see how that pans out.

Progress today:

40491585273_670a3c960f_b.jpg

33581367258_0b9b252c02_b.jpg

33581366458_3c682c9d0b_b.jpg

40491584743_c6e1352f4b_b.jpg

Bit slow, as ever, but a little stuck until some paint arrives...

• Like 3

the rear end joints look nice already!

take ace and time when glueing the fuselage halves at the rear! I kin do overbent my resin parts with hot water before glueing, in order to have the ends come together relatively nice......

IP looks as is!

why aren't you using the kit's seat? It will surely fit.... :D

• Like 1

The rear end joint looks great while the two halves are separate... it is a little better than before but needs some work, a "Buccaneer" approach to gluing and some plastic strip. After that it might still bend off to starboard a tad, but careful photography should hide that issue...

Pleased with the seat detail, no comment re the kit offering. Unsure about the resin cockpit, its all a bit vague re how it fits, but I will give it a shot - it all cost too much to just ignore.

Need matt black paint!!!!

Oh and if all else fails, I might have accidentally ordered a Papparazzi Meteor. Ooops.

Edited by RMP2
  • Like 2

Good progress and those cockpit parts will look great once painted :speak_cool:

Are you planning to correct any of the kits shape issues?

7 hours ago, Col. said:

Good progress and those cockpit parts will look great once painted :speak_cool:

Are you planning to correct any of the kits shape issues?

Not sure I dare, Col given that correcting the tail end has given it an extra shape issue!

I will have a little look, but it looks like a Hunter to me, Im not too au fait with the details of these.

Edited by RMP2
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, RMP2 said:

Not sure I dare, Col given that correcting the tail end has given it an extra shape issue!

I will have a little look, but it looks like a Hunter to me, Im not too au fait with the details of these.

To me the main issue it the intake shape doesn't come to a sharp enough point when seen from the front but a set of covers is the simplest solution there ;) 

• Like 1

Ah, I remember talk of such now. It may well end up with covers anyway... partly because I like them and, well, yknow... :)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RMP2 said:

Ah, I remember talk of such now. It may well end up with covers anyway... partly because I like them and, well, yknow... :)

With a couple in the stash I'm thinking the same :D 

• Like 1

Correction of the intakes shape is a 30 second job with a knife. The challenge is to get the wings on. I  found the best strategy is to not glue the intakes to to the fuselage but leave the whole assembly loose inside the fuselage. You can then get the wings on and glue it all together when it's lined up. 

Colin 

• Like 1

Ive taken the squareness out of the intakes, not my greatest work but I reckon it needed a little rat tailed file attention. It could be worse.

Also think Ive figured out the intakes, fuselage and wing glueing sequence, but time will tell.

Little achieved overall tonight, but its still moving and that is quite a thing for me!

• Like 1

Still chugging away steadily. Got the wings on, glued bit by bit to try to get a really nice fit as they seem to go onto the fuselage really well with a bit of spreading of the wing root.

Small n minor sub assemblies done and sprayed, just flaps stuff and main gear and wells, then put it all aside to dry properly and attacked that there Jaguar for a bit and almost finished it! Which is a good thing as it spurs me on for more II Sqn stuff like this Hunter and... no, no I darent suggest fitting the Meteor into this GB too, surely not.

Edited by RMP2
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, RMP2 said:

...no, no I darent suggest fitting the Meteor into this GB too, surely not.

Well that Airfix kit does look rather nice... :whistle: 

• Like 1

Ugh. Work have decided I need to drive daarrrn saaarf tonight for a job tomorrow, then Im away again Thursday... I shouldnt have said anything, looks like a grueller of a week or two coming up. Buttocks.

• Sad 1

Still plugging away.
Had a right issue figuring out what was what and where on the seat after hitting it with gloss black due to impatience on matt black arriving, even then its hard to work stuff out till I poke it with a bit of colour... Im still new to resin seats but made a start at least.
Made a bit of a mess of the IP too but will keep playing with that.
Getting the resin cockpit in is taking a bit of trial and error, blu-tack is my friend there for positioning I reckon!
Primer and sanding has gotten the back end somewhere closer than it was before.

Hoping that after all this trial fitting it will all come together all of a sudden if work will just leave me alone for a few days. 80+ hour weeks are great for the bank but not for spare time.

All pics are still In Progress things...

32594979977_27a290fee9_b.jpg

47484733282_31cecf12c8_b.jpg

32594979447_2d0b7cbf73_b.jpg

32594979197_71b377e9cf_b.jpg

47484732252_273aeb7097_b.jpg

• Like 3

some nice work going on here!!

I do like the ejector seat.

I know the feeling with parts not showing up and having to go off-shore for a couple of weeks next week, everything for me is about to come to a grinding halt!!

• Like 1

On 4/5/2019 at 1:44 AM, trickyrich said:

some nice work going on here!!

I do like the ejector seat.

I know the feeling with parts not showing up and having to go off-shore for a couple of weeks next week, everything for me is about to come to a grinding halt!!

Cheers, Im having to resort to a magnifying glass for the seat... my eyeballs will make their mind up as to which focal length they prefer...

Offshore? What are you up to if you dont mind me asking? I work in NDT and keep swerving going feet wet.

• Like 1

I'm on  Floating Production Storage Facility moored on a gas field off the coast on NW Australia. I'm onboard for 2 week to fix issues with their fresh water maker. The company I work for builds Desal systems, normal I work in remote parts of Oz, but I'm the only one currently qualified for offshore work.

• Like 1

On 4/10/2019 at 10:36 AM, trickyrich said:

I'm on  Floating Production Storage Facility moored on a gas field off the coast on NW Australia. I'm onboard for 2 week to fix issues with their fresh water maker. The company I work for builds Desal systems, normal I work in remote parts of Oz, but I'm the only one currently qualified for offshore work.

I bumped into an old work mate the other day who was bound for some place off WA, 3 on 3 off, but was held back due to a hurricane or some nasty weather out there. Keep an eye out for a big NDT lad with the face of a 12 year old by the name of Ryan - hes a bit of fun/nutcase. ;)

No Hunter updates Im afraid, been out playing with the new car instead.

Little video here (careful, some swearing at the end...)

• Like 2

there's probably a good chance eh maybe on one of the platforms out here. All 3 of the BIG ones (I'm on one) are quite close to one another.

That does look fun! One of these days I must take mine to one of these, it's a limited edition track version of one of our (no long in production) Holden Commodores, 6.2L V8 340kw (460hp) beasty.