Auster Antarctic

JOHN ELLIS

Great photos Magpie, thank you for sharing🙂

The last one is especially interesting: both ailerons are down. In Auster's case it means that for a reason or another the control cables have been disconnected. I could imagine that in the Antarctic regions winds can be so strong that control cables strech and they have to be replaced with new ones.

Cheers,

Antti

27 minutes ago, Antti_K said:

Great photos Magpie, thank you for sharing🙂

The last one is especially interesting: both ailerons are down. In Auster's case it means that for a reason or another the control cables have been disconnected. I could imagine that in the Antarctic regions winds can be so strong that control cables strech and they have to be replaced with new ones.

Cheers,

Antti

Where they shipped with the wings removed? Might have been photographed as a WIP not an RFI.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, David Womby said:

I don't have a drawing but there's a pretty clear photo of it on the web of an RNZAF one that flipped.   It's on this page: https://www.airfix.com/us-en/forum/airfix-172-auster-7-antarctic-01023/?p=1/

David

Thats an interesting photo. You can still see the RAF serial under the wing WE563. IT also happens to be the one on display at RNZAF Museum at Wigram, Christchurch, NZ.

1 hour ago, John_W said:

Where they shipped with the wings removed? Might have been photographed as a WIP not an RFI.

Yes, they were shipped with wings removed. IThe bloke at the wingtip is signalling to the bloke connecting the cables where they enter the cabin area.

This particular aircraft was a combination of the two airframes, A11-1 and A11-2 after both had suffered damage. Hence, merely the stores number 'A11' without the individual aircraft number.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, JOHN ELLIS said:

Thanks guys. Some interesting photos there. Seems like no drawings around. 

Hi John

There are a (mostly)complete set of drawings available.  The RNZAF Museum has them.  I had them all copied as I was thinking of converting my Auster T.7 WE552 to a C.4 Antarctic and purchased all the drawings.  Then realized the work and extra money/certification  involved and so am going with a stock military T.7 in her original guise....which I should do anyway because of her history in the RAF/RHKAAF.

Email the RNZAF Museum, they will be able to help as I gave all my drawings away to a chap in Australia in the end.

HTH, cheers Anthony

• Like 2