Spitfire MK Vb F/Sgt. K. Basset, RAAF 1941 (Tamiya 1941)

The motivation to built this model came from an informal Group Build organised in my modelling club SAPMA. The idea was to build a Spitfire used by an Aussie during WWII.

I've choose to build a plane flown by Flight Sargent Kenneth "Kenny" Dudley Basset when he was attached to RAAF 452 Squadron based at Redhill, England, October 1941.

452_Squadron_RAAF_Badge.jpg ken+basset.jpg

Kenneth was born on the 16th of July 1916 in Roma, Queensland. In September 1940, he joined the RAAF and commenced training as a pilot at Narrandra, NSW. In 1941, he left for further training in Ottawa, Canada, and was then posted to England in the same year.

After Kenny arrived in England, he was posted to Heston, South London, and joined a Spitfire Squadron. He then had an immediate posting to RAAF 452 Squadron. Tours of duty consisted of sweeps over France and convoy patrols over the English Channel. 452 Squadron was then posted to the Isle of Man and there, Kenny trained other pilots.

The following edited report is of typical day for Kenny:

P/O Lamerton took off with Sgt Bassett (Kenny) for a defensive patrol at 25,000 feet over Mull of Galloway. While climbing and when at 20,000 feet they saw a Ju88 about 5,000 ft above and the E/A (Enemy Aircraft) was flying on a South Easterly course towards the coast. They manoeuvred to get into the sun. P/O Lamberton’s attack was from astern and above. He gave a long burst of 3-4 seconds and silenced the top rear gunner using cannon at a range of 300 yards. However P/O Lamerton’s aircraft was hit by return fire and flames and smoke from the exhaust and cowling soon appeared. He could see ahead and called up saying that he was baling out, which he did from an altitude of 12,000 feet. He was picked up six hours later. Meanwhile Sgt Basset continued to attack the Ju88, but was unable to close to a short range, and was recalled to base after he expended all his ammo, landing at 07:55. He claimed a damaged aircraft shared with P/O Lamerton. It was the last claim of the Squadron while stationed in England. P/O Lamerton was from South Australia and had joined the Squadron three months before from OTU. He was later killed with the Squadron.

Kenny eventually returned to Australia to the defend Darwin in the very dangerous skies over Australia and the Pacific against a determined and resourceful enemy.

Kenny married Eddie in 1942, and was posted to Tasmania mostly training pilots for the remainder of the war. He was discharged from the Air Force in 1945, and after War’s end, he returned to Roma with his family. In 1963 the family moved to Brisbane finally settling St Lucia, where he lived for the rest of his life. He passed away on the 31st May 2006. (Text above extracted from the Spitfire Association website: https://spitfireassociation.com.au/bassett-kenneth-kenny/ )

spitfire+mk+vb+AD537+UD-R.jpg

Here is Sgt Basset by his Spitfire (AD537 UD-R) in Redhill, October 1941 (image from Australian War Museum archives)

I used the excellent kit from Tamiya to model his MK-Vb. Despite it being an exceptional kit I still did some improvements to the kit as follow:

Cut the canopy to display it open;

Open the cockpit access door on the fuselage port side;

Added Eduard Photo-Etched pre-painted seat belts;

Open the exhaust ends; and

Added the IFF wire antennas to the sides using MIG aerial line super fine (0.01mm).

Painting guide:

I used basically Tamiya and Gunze acrylics overall on the kit as follow:

Supermarine Interior Green: mix of Tamiya XF5:1 + XF21:3 + XF65:1;

Seat: XF9 for the seat and XF1 for the leather back rest;

Instruments panel: Supermarine Interior Green for the lower half and XF1 for the instruments board. I did use the kit decals for the gauges;

Exhaust: XF52;

Spinner and fuselage band SKY: Gunze H74

Propeller blades: XF1 and XF3 for the blade tips;

Underside surfaces and undercarriage: XF83;

Tyres: XF85;

Upper surfaces camouflage OCEAN GREY: XF82;

Upper surfaces camouflage DARK GREEN: XF81;

Wings yellow band: XF3;

Clear coat before applying decals: X22;

Clear Flat final coat: XF86.

Decals:

I've used DK decals #72037 No.452 (RAAF) Sqn. and I was really impressed by the quality and easy to use. I would recommend it without hesitation.

The finished photos:

AD537+UD-R_001cover.jpg

Here are the finished model. It was a pleasure to build this kit and finish it in an Aussie markings.

AD537+UD-R_001.jpg

AD537+UD-R_002.jpg

AD537+UD-R_003.jpg

AD537+UD-R_004.jpg

AD537+UD-R_005.jpg

AD537+UD-R_006.jpg

AD537+UD-R_005.jpgAD537+UD-R_004.jpgAD537+UD-R_003.jpgAD537+UD-R_002.jpgAD537+UD-R_001.jpg

AD537+UD-R_006.jpg

AD537+UD-R_007.jpg

AD537+UD-R_009.jpg

AD537+UD-R_010.jpg

AD537+UD-R_011.jpg

Cheers!

Edited by ArmouredSprue
Deleted duplicate photos
  • Like 38

Beautifully finished spitfire, with very interesting background story.

Weathering is very well executed regarding the scale, everything is in balance. Like ti!

Best regards, Djordje

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Steve27752 said:

Very, very nice.......Just two small things if I may? The crowbar should not be red and You have the Squadron crest with the post WW11 Queens Crown. It should be the Kings Crown.

Thanks mate.

I didn't know there was this difference on the squadron crest.

Also. Thanks for letting me know about the crowbar. What colour it should be painted?

Cheers

That’s a lovely build of an Aussie Spit and I had also initially thought she was the 1:48 kit. Now I’ve also used DK’s 452 Sqd sheet and do highly recommend them as well. I built both Truscott’s Mk.IIa and Thorold Smith’s Vb, however they’re not a patch on this great build. 

Cheers and very well modelled.. Dave 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ArmouredSprue said:

Thanks mate.

I didn't know there was this difference on the squadron crest.

Also. Thanks for letting me know about the crowbar. What colour it should be painted?

Cheers

I believe that during WW11 war they were either silver (steel) or Interior Green, perhaps sometimes black.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Steve27752 said:

I believe that during WW11 war they were either silver (steel) or Interior Green, perhaps sometimes black.  

Thanks! Easy to fix

• Like 1