Best 1/72 AC-47

Plumbum

Which 1/72 kit is the most accurate for modelling an AC-47 Spooky gunship, Monogram,

Airfix or Italeri. I did the Monogram kit as a kid in the 60s.---John

I think the small scale Monogram was 1/90th and IIRC a revamp of their original 1955 DC-3 kit.  When it came back as the AC-47 there were two versions, one pre-painted in SEA camouflage,

Airfix had a poor (though good for the time) C-47 / DC-3 in 1/72 from 1960, later with the guns for an AC-47.  Their new Dakota is far better but I don't know about a gunship version.  Even if the new Airfix kit is just a straight C-47 it won't take much to fit the cannon.

Kevin,

Yes, Italeri did an AC-47 in 1/72 scale- I have one, but I'm not sure about a Testors boxing; quite possible. (Check Scalemates?)

Doom3R- I would opt for the Esci AC-47, if you can find one at a reasonable price, as it is better than  the Italeri kit- the nose contours of the Itaeri kit are a little wonky compared to the Esci kit, and I think the engine cowlings on the Esci kit are more accurate. I have the Esci kits in both the Eastern Airlines boxing and the USN's famous ski-equipped "Que Sera, Sera" boxing, but neglected to get their AC-47!

Mike

17 hours ago, Johnv said:

Is the ESCI C-47 basically the same as their AC-47 but minus the mini guns

and decals?---John

It is the same kit minus the guns , i think it is the best spooky around...

If you can buy that one or scource the guns somewhere from Italeri and put those in....

cheers, Jan

The Esci kit provides the podded style of minigun but if you are looking for the uncased variety of the gun they are provided in the Airfix kit (along with a couple of standing crewmen) , always possible that someone might have them going spare.

Johnv,

Quickboost made resin minigun barrels for the Esci/Italeri AC-47 kits- see the link to a product review below. IIRC the Esci kit is also better than the Italeri one, as the engine cowlings are one piece and the Italeri cowlings are in halves, which gives you a seam to try to fill. Hope you can find an Esci kit. If you can only get the civil version, you can just drill openings for the gun barrels, but the one in the opening created by the removal of the entry door is going to be an issue, as you will have to scratchbuild the pod, mount, and ammo feed and collection bin! If you can't locate an AC-47 kit, I have two Italeri AC-47 kits, and one has donated its cowlings, engines, and props for a conversion project, and I would be willing to gvbe you the AC-47 parts you need to convert a DC-3/C-47A kit, so drop me a pm in that eventuality. Quickboost also made resin R-1830's for the Italeri kit, as theirs are pretty generic- the Esci kit engines are much better, as I recall. Good luck!

https://web.ipmsusa3.org/content/ac-47-minigun-gun-barrels-0

https://charliecompany.org/2018/05/12/spooky/