Varnish question

hammett98

Hi all,

Quick question - I have a canopy from a sci-fi kit that needed some quite complex masking. I've done it and painted it but should I apply a matt coat over the top before removing the masks or do you guys typically varnish the clear section of canopy also? I intend to apply a gloss coat on the kit before applying the washes and then finish it all with a matt coat.

Many Thanks,

Simon

Interesting one this: I avoid matt or gloss varnish anywhere near the canopy after colour. The more layers, the more chance of stuff coming up when you peel the mask. The masks stay on til the decalling/varnishing/ weathering is done otherwise you will have a lovely frosted canopy. re the difference in sheen, look at real canopies, they get washed and polished even on filthy craft, well ya gotta see outta da window huh? So naturally the canopy frames tend  to look newer than the rest of whatever it is.

This of course doesn't apply to Luke's X wing as he can use the Farce to see out of a completely space pigeon poo covered canopy so never bothers having it cleaned.

A new thing to prevent paint lift from the frames is to hit the unpainted canopy with matt clear for keying, then interior colour then exterior, works surprisingly well in preventing paint lift, if a little counter intuitive...

• Like 1