Heller EC-121 with a lot of help from the aftermarket 1/72

This is my rendition of Heller's Lockheed EC-121/WV-2 Warning Star. Heller is not what I would consider one of the top tier model companies and there were a lot of inaccuracies. To address these I used; Fisher Models' nose and radomes, Plus Models' engine nacelles, wheel wells, tires and tail surfaces, and Caracal decals. Actually I only used the Plus Models central fin from their tail surfaces kit. Given its size and all the aftermarket total build time was 22 day or probably around 60 hours. For more details on the build see the WIP at  

With that let's see the results.

Et7kUpdh_o.jpg

eVazdxJi_o.jpg

idR5lI0V_o.jpg

E7ed33NK_o.jpg

b602ZUlN_o.jpg

VgCWESbM_o.jpg

EHT2wlZT_o.jpg

Next up is the Planet Models' XF-91 Thunderceptor

Enjoy.

• Like 46

1 minute ago, rob Lyttle said:

I'm going to have to look that up... 

It is an interesting derivation of the F-84 with reverse taper swept wings. They are thinner in chord and camber at the root then at the tip, and the wheels fold outwards into the tips

1 minute ago, Alpha Delta 210 said:

Not a model that appears that often around these parts.

There have been a few, but I haven't seen one in Navy colors, most are Air Force.

Thanks

1 hour ago, camper1 said:

Very nice rendition, saw this aircraft quite a few time at Prestwick airport when the US base was there.

Ian

KvZwdYU.jpg

This your photo? It's a real good one of the same plane. Someday I'll get to see one in person.

Like to see a picture in the sun of the model. I want to make the last millitary flight one, which I found out was a Navy bird in '82, thought it was an AF one in '78. The nose of the last one is still around.

Ohhhhhhhh yyyeeeaaahhhhh! Looks just superb! So glad you posted a WIP to follow; its been a pleasure to wake up nearly every day and search your work out. You’ve done quite well here. A model to be very proud of. Now.........

What’ll be next????

🤩

Edited by Challenger350Pilot
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Challenger350Pilot said:

So glad you posted a WIP to follow;

Thanks for encouraging me to do so

2 hours ago, Challenger350Pilot said:

What’ll be next????

Planel Models XF-91 Thunderceptor.

1 hour ago, Retired Bob said:

the worlds largest tri-moto

Tri-motor? There must be a story behind that.

Thanks

10 hours ago, hsr said:

Tri-motor? There must be a story behind that.

In one of the books of the Warning Star there is a comment from the engineers that because so many came back from patrol with an engine shut down, they were given the title of  "The world's largest tri-motor".  My connection with the Star was as a young radar operator up in the north of Scotland in the early 1970's, If the Russian's were playing silly so and so's trying to find gaps in the radar coverage between the UK, Faeroe Islands and Iceland.  A Warning Star from Keflavik, Iceland and a Shackleton AEW from Lossiemouth in Scotland would be airborne keeping their "eyes " on things.   I remember the Warning Star's used the call sign ADOLA followed by two digits.  As the wife would say "the ramblings of an old man" but that's the story.

Regards

Bob

Edited by Retired Bob
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/23/2019 at 3:05 PM, busnproplinerfan said:

Like to see a picture in the sun of the model. I

So today was sunny and in the 60's so I took some pics on the deck. I am not sure they are an improvement so I only replaced a few, but here are the rest

AkZMyqgc_o.jpg

vGWHU70q_o.jpgidR5lI0V_o.jpg

sGPGaHVM_o.jpg

b602ZUlN_o.jpg

EHT2wlZT_o.jpg

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, busnproplinerfan said:

Wonder what the white strips on the nose were for?

I don't know. They gave me 8 but only showed 6 in place.

A most impressive Warning Star,  I must bump mine up the "to make list" I think there are 4 in the stash, when it first came out I paid the equivalent of $8.00 each!  Oh happy days.

Regards

Bob

• Thanks 1