Humbrol Clear

Smithy

I picked up some of this (the stuff in the 125ml bottle) from the shop more from curiosity than anything else (I'm an old fan of Klear and have been using Pledge lately), and gave it a whirl on an old canopy today and have to say I'm mighty impressed. I've read how some have experienced problems with using this as a gloss coat due to fogging and frosting so I'm a bit wary of using it in this fashion but as a canopy dip I'm very chuffed with the result from my little experiment - the canopy really looks utterly stunning.

Just wondering whether any other members are using this and what their experiences are.

Tim

On 3/25/2019 at 11:16 PM, Steve Noble said:

If it's the one I'm thinking of it yellows a bit over time unless they've changed the formula..

I was intrigued to hear that Steve and did some poking around on the internet. I couldn't find anyone complaining of Clear yellowing but then it's only been around for 5 or 6 years so it's a relatively new product. Perhaps you're mistaking it for one of their other clear varnishes such as gloss cote where I did find the odd concern over yellowing?

37 minutes ago, Smithy said:

I was intrigued to hear that Steve and did some poking around on the internet. I couldn't find anyone complaining of Clear yellowing but then it's only been around for 5 or 6 years so it's a relatively new product. Perhaps you're mistaking it for one of their other clear varnishes such as gloss cote where I did find the odd concern over yellowing?

The stuff I'm thinking about is probably from the mid nineties..