1/72 P-51D and Spitfire IX

Graham Boak

I don't know how many of you visit 1/72 Aircraft News, but I haven't seen these mentioned anywhere else.

https://www.72news.eu/2019/03/waltersonsp-51d-mustang-spitfire-mk9.html

After a quick look , I have to say that I've seen less convincing representations.  Perhaps less so of the Spitfire, with trailing edges looking too thick and maybe wrong in shape.  Price will be interesting.

• Thanks 1

The Spitfire's tailfin and rudder look decidedly wonky - and somewhat familiar too.  My first thought was Forces of Valor but I don't think that's it now.  I'm not gone on the Mustang's prop either.

Edited by JosephLalor

That Spit is pretty bad, yes the trailing edge is far too thick but the leading edge looks too thick as well. Yes thr shape of the wing is off - just look at that wing tip, it's as bad as that strange shaped fin. Also the wing has got the leading edge fuel tank which wasn't on the Mk.IX.

Hard to tell from the pictures but there looks like a lack of dihederal on the wings.

I know this might be a cheap, quick build kit but it looks like someone saw a Spitfire once and then designed this kit from memory! I'm not sure how an aircraft that has so much info around on it you can get so wrong.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

There's also an F4U-1D Corsair, an Fw 190D-9, and a bunch of tanks in the range. On the plus side, they are cheap!

https://hlj.com/search/go?w=*&af=selectmanufacturer:waltersons

Cheap doesn't mean anything if the kit is junk - it's still a waste of money. You can get the Airfix Spitfire Mk.I for about the same price and that looks like a Spitfire.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Tbolt said:

Cheap doesn't mean anything if the kit is junk - it's still a waste of money. You can get the Airfix Spitfire Mk.I for about the same price and that looks like a Spitfire.

There are pictures of the other kits on the HLJ site and, to be fair, the Spitfire looks by far the worst in terms of accuracy. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

There are pictures of the other kits on the HLJ site and, to be fair, the Spitfire looks by far the worst in terms of accuracy. 

True the Spit does seem the worst, but the Corsair doesn't look right. But they haven't done themselves any favours how they've photographed the models - the painted models are either partly painted or with bits missing. Very strange way to promote a product.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tbolt said:

True the Spit does seem the worst, but the Corsair doesn't look right. But they haven't done themselves any favours how they've photographed the models - the painted models are either partly painted or with bit missing. Very strange way to promote a product.

This one looks better and it's only slightly more expensive. Pre-painted too, although you have to apply the decal markings!

fts60376_0.jpg

Edited by VMA131Marine
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, VMA131Marine said:

This one looks better and it's only slightly more expensive. Pre-painted too, although you have to apply the decal markings!

It maybe toy like but it does look like a Spitfire.

1 hour ago, mike romeo said:

F-toys.  That might explain it.

Explain what?  The only F-Toys kit I have is the 1/144 A-26, and it is quite lovely.  But then it was tooled by Platz, like the rest of the F-Toys 1/144 range, and so can be expected to be excellent.  Perhaps Platz also tool this F-Toys 1/72 Spitfire?  If so, it is unlikely to be poor - although Japanese companies to seem to have trouble with 1/72 Spitfires.

1 hour ago, Graham Boak said:

Explain what?  The only F-Toys kit I have is the 1/144 A-26, and it is quite lovely.  But then it was tooled by Platz, like the rest of the F-Toys 1/144 range, and so can be expected to be excellent.  Perhaps Platz also tool this F-Toys 1/72 Spitfire?  If so, it is unlikely to be poor - although Japanese companies to seem to have trouble with 1/72 Spitfires.

Explains why it looks quite good, Graham.