A Pair of Jump Jets: Harrier GR.3 and F-35B

On ‎8‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 1:28 AM, Andwil said:

Wow, I’m amazed by the size difference, it almost looks like the F-35 is 1/48 alongside the Harrier.  Hang seen both types “in the flesh” albeit not side by side, I wouldn’t have thought that the 35 was that much bigger!

AW

I agree, I wonder if there might be something funny going on - the difference in size of the pilots (on the first page) makes it look like Airfix's 1/72 might not be quite the same as hasegawas… I'll hunt down a ruler and do some length and wingspan measurements and see what I come up with. 

Sunday evening update: The harrier is getting closer to the finish line as I have been gradually adding decals over the last few evenings. I'm still getting some silvering in places and I think I have to be even more careful getting the gloss coat down really smooth - always more to work on! Having said that repeated application of microsol helps and overall I'm pretty happy with how she's looking. Next is another coat of gloss to seal everything in, a bit of weathering and finally get the fuel tanks and sidewinders finished and on. Ta for looking! 

48566611146_74e43df627_z.jpg

48566758422_5cfa7340f6_z.jpg

• Like 9

I always loved the classic British grey and green aircraft camo, particularly on the Harrier.  That's just the look I think of when I think of the Harrier.  Your model is really shaping up nicely and looks to be a really winner!  

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from a lovely week of holiday in Cornwall so not too much progress but managed to get the upper sides of the Harrier weathered this morning. I've used artists oils for this as they are really forgiving, you can pretty much just wipe off and start again when you stuff up. I've post-shaded with black around the panel edges to provide contrast and then added streaks and some highlights with brown and white oils. I think this method has worked well with the marbled pre-shade and I've decided to stop now before I overdo it. The underside needs the same treatment though I'll let myself go a bit more for the exhaust stains. Anyway, nearly there, should be in an RFI soon.

48658178532_91881d091d_z.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I'm calling these two done!

48727169352_8def5da468_z.jpg 

RFI is here for the Harrier:

and here for the F35:

Thanks to everyone who has commented along the way and to those who have dropped in to see how things are going. It's taken around 6 months to get these two done and Dizzy (see pg2) is a small dog rather than a puppy now!48727007786_9982b089ba_z.jpg

Next project is a 1980 Airfix Lancaster, I'm looking forward to doing a model with propellers again!

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

Playing around with a new toy here - my recently purchased photobox really improves the background and lighting so even with my phone camera I was able to get some much better snaps:

48869597921_f8b4443aec_c.jpg 

48869796817_b82c62f0d0_c.jpg

url%5D 

48869597961_cff5684646_c.jpg

• Like 9

On 10/11/2019 at 2:05 PM, Courageous said:

Details please, maybe a pic?

Stuart

Hi Stuart,  it's a 24x24x24" photo booth off Amazon, not cheap but looked better quality than the small ones and wanted to at least be able to fit the 1/72 lanc I'm building atm. 

It folds up flat for easy storage: 

spacer.png

And can be assembled in about 5 mins, the edges hold together with Velcro.

spacer.png

It comes with black, grey, blue and white backdrops and a filter to cover the led lights. These are mounted on two strips and there is a dimmer switch to control the brightness.

spacer.png

It's pretty good tbh, only minor problem I've had is keeping the back ground in place up the back wall but will fix this with a bit of Velcro. I need to work out what the best background is for the right situation and how bright to light things but hopefully snaps I took above show that it works!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1