A Pair of Jump Jets: Harrier GR.3 and F-35B

Evening all, got the light grey on this afternoon while listening to the cricket. It's a combination of Tamiya acrylics, well thinned, not sure the exact mix but xf20 was the starting point which I gradually darkened with rubber black and xf83 until it looked about right. This sprayed on with no dramas and I then laid down a coat of flat varnish while the mask was still in place. So, the moment of truth - all the masking work was undone in no time and the result... …well I'm happy with it - in the most part the zig zags are crisp and I think the greys tones are about right. You also get a nice effect in different lights where the light grey becomes much less "contrasty" or the darker grey suddenly catches the light and looks shiny. There are a few bits and pieces to patch up and then I think I'll have to respray the white wheel bays, fan housing, etc. I've also opted to use some of the decals for the really fiddly bits and where there is writing included - I'm hoping that a small amount of a third grey tone will look good. Thanks for the all the encouragement along the way, more soon, Sam 

48031374782_02ac938e43_z.jpg

48031270821_89462624b2_z.jpg

48031373607_254cbdc6c5_z.jpg

48031309518_f8b59a1e90_z.jpg

and one in a slightly different light where the contrast changes:

48031271126_bf105d54eb_z.jpg

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Hi all, the touch ups on the F-35 went off without hitch and I sorted out a few bits probably only I would ever spot but feel better about it anyway. You can see in the photos below the nice effect where the matt panel tape appears to be either darker or lighter than the main haveglass coat depending on the light and reflections. You’ll also see that I’ve added a few of the decals for particularly fiddly panel lines around the back of the fuselage and on the tail fins. The contrast is pretty stark and I’m glad I didn’t use them all over in the end. I think these ones look ok though I might go back and calm them down with a thin haveglass coat over the top. While I was getting a few decals down I decided to start on the Harrier as well. These seem pretty thick and several coats of microsol later (there's some drying in the photo) I still haven’t got the roundels to settle in the panel lines…

That’s it from me for a couple of weeks, I’m in the states for a conference this week and then holidaying the week after but glad I’ve got to this stage with the two builds before downing tools. When I get back there will be more decaling to do and then I need to sort out the wheel bays and undercarriage on both models. Thanks for looking and happy modelling! Sam

48064958492_714eb98863_z.jpg

48064854581_dd06dd2b7a_z.jpg

48064854291_bb2b2303bb_z.jpg

48065409241_04ecd12b05_z.jpg

• Like 12

• 3 weeks later...

Well I'm back from a successful couple of weeks travelling; Phoenix was great,  scorching hot but a fun place to attend a conference once I was finished presenting papers. Then had a holiday with the better half near Perugia (also scorchio) which involved plenty of relaxation and tasty wine and food. 

Since being back I've finished final touch ups on the f35, you'll see I couldn't live with the decal contrast at the back and have painted over them,  masked and sprayed the contrast grey instead. Lift fan has been added and painted and the white on top resprayed so it looks nice and crisp.  I've also fitted the undercarriage and next I've got to mask and spray white - hopefully get the wheels on this and the harrier (which is about the same condition) this week. Really pleased with how this is turning out and feel like the end is almost in sight!

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by SaminCam
Typo
  • Like 10

I just ran across your build thread and I'm really enjoying it.  I mainly started reading due to the Harrier, but I admit the work you are doing on the F-35 is simply amazing!  I can't wait to see both finished.  

• Thanks 1

Thanks gents,  not much progress here,  just managed to get some paint on the various wheel bay and lift fan doors. White on the insides and touching up wheel bays next... 

Polished Al undercoat:

spacer.png

Haveglass finish (grey mix described above with alclad aquagloss varnish)

spacer.png

Thanks for looking!

Edited by SaminCam
  • Like 3

Evening all! Still working on the F35 and neglecting the harrier,  will get back to it eventually,  promise! Indeed the F35 is getting there, all the doors are painted and glued on and the undercarriage legs have had a light wash (which I'm sort of happy with) and are fixed in place. The model engineering is great for all of this with nice solid mounting points for all the various bits and pieces. To finish her off there's more decals to go on (I've decided to do one of the US versions on the ootb sheet), wheels, cockpit and canopy and finally the turned down nozzle at the back, which I'm planning on adding a bit of extra detail to.  At my current rate of progress this will take a few more weeks... Thanks for dropping by. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by SaminCam
  • Like 10

Wheels on and coming into land:

spacer.png

I've not got any of the magic "klear" as i read somewhere the formula changed so is it ok to dip the canopy in alclad aqua gloss (then decant the gloss back into the bottle)? I'm going to tint it as well but thought it should be dipped first...? Thanks!

• Like 4

Looking good. Good luck with the puppy, my ladies one is just a year old, chews everything in site!!!

Pics of my F-35, when I fathom my new photo host. Photobucket doesn'y like me anymore!!!

Colin

• Like 1

Evening all, got a fair bit of work done on the F35b today while listening to England getting thumped by the Aussies in the cricket. Most of the effort went into the exhaust nozzle - it's rotated down so there's quite a lot of detail on show:

48455345856_6f84c91909_n.jpg

I added the little bobbles on the middle section of the nozzle with slices of stretched sprue, the pipes and cables are carefully bent thin gauge wire and I then added some little bits and pieces of plasticard to "busy" it up. It's not super accurate but looks better than the offering out of the box and I'm pretty happy with the result:

48455500662_1c935d7746_n.jpg

It was given another black undercoat to pull everything together and then painted with alclad magnesium and a mix of the magnesium and Tamiya bronze for the variable area nozzle:

48455505227_0b7898d12f_n.jpg

48455500907_14b48a8f7e_n.jpg

Happy with that, looks pretty good on the aircraft:

48455346406_b4577decef_z.jpg

She's nearly there now, just a few last decals to go on and the canopy to get right (things didn't go well with my first attempt at tinting but it's cleaned off and ready to try again - I'll explain what happened in another post...). Finally, my wonderful father picked this up for me at a car boot / antiques fair. The instructions say "Airfix 1979" and inside the decals are a bit yellowed but other than that it is as a good as "new"(!), the plastic parts were still in a sealed bag and everything looks really crisp. I've been wanting to build a Lancaster for ages so this will be the next WIP.

48455345006_6590bb7a54_z.jpg

Thanks for looking! Sam 

• Like 7

Evening all, the F35 is pretty much done,  well, the cockpit canopy isn't glued yet and I'm going to do a little bit of weathering with oils but going to put it to one side until the harrier has caught up. 

This evening I got the gr3 undercarriage painted and glued on and next up are fiddly bits and pieces like the bay doors and air brake. Its interesting seeing them side by side,  the harrier is such a compact aircraft in comparison to the f35.

spacer.png

• Like 5

And as for the canopy on the F35 I gave up in the end on the tint - after two attempts I wasn't happy with the colour I was achieving (I tried tamiya clear yellow on its own and then mixed with various dashes of clear red or metallics) and even after redipping it was too cloudy for my liking, so cleaned off, re-re-dipped and went for a clear finish in the end. 

• Like 1

Wow, I’m amazed by the size difference, it almost looks like the F-35 is 1/48 alongside the Harrier.  Hang seen both types “in the flesh” albeit not side by side, I wouldn’t have thought that the 35 was that much bigger!

AW

• Like 1