Italeri and Revell 1/48 Tornado tail heights

WV908

Hi all, 

I’ve tried to find the answer to this myself with no luck, as I can only find reference to how the Italeri tail is wrong at the front and the Revell tail is wrong in top down profile, so... 

Having multiples of each kit on the bench, I’d like to know which kit has the correct tail height - the Italeri tail is significantly taller than the Revell tail and i’d like to know if I need to make one taller or the other shorter. It’s way too much of a difference to leave it. 

Cheers,

WV908 

5 hours ago, WV908 said:

@exdraken I don’t understand what’s confusing about my question. The Italeri 1/48 Tornado tail fin is taller than that on the Revell 1/48 kit. I’d like to know which one is correct.

Cheers,

WV908

Oh sorry,

Nothing confusing about your question!

Just confusing that the fins are significantly different at all!

Both companys should have access to the real thing after all!

Will change my response accordingly if that is confusing....

Cheers, Werner

• Thanks 1

I physically overlayed the Airfix, Revell and Italeri fins just now. The fin size itself on all 3 is more or less the same imo. Airfix witz a bit more cord (1-2 mm max) The design of the joint to the fuselage is different though.

Can you put up a photo of where the Revell fin is wrong in shape?

Edited by exdraken
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, exdraken said:

Oh sorry,

Nothing confusing about your question!

Just confusing that the fins are significantly different at all!

Both companys should have access to the real thing after all!

Will change my response accordingly if that is confusing....

Cheers, Werner

Ah no worries then :) It is indeed odd. I’d expect there to be a slight difference in profile, but it’s a huge difference. I’m not having much luck trying to scale from photos unfortunately 

Cheers,

WV908

Looks like the rudder is situated higher up on the Revell one....and probably shorter as well.... hmm!

Airfix and Revell are the same....

Is that already a hint?

2vs1.....

Do we need a fin correction set for the Revell kit which is the newest if the lot?

I am interested now!

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 1

Hi again, 

I’ve done a photo comparison of the two,

using the base of the fin and the top of the intake as my reference points, throwing up this. I’ve also included a third photo to show the incorrect ‘ellipse’ profile of the Revell fin cap - both manufactures have it wrong as it should be somewhere between the two;

32509251307_597ff341cb_b.jpg

32509251297_f3408b06bf_b.jpg

46535817655_fbce2b2c59_b.jpg

Regardless of the issues, I hated building the Revell tail - short shot on the intake and the top fairings, well....

Cheers,

WV908

31 minutes ago, WV908 said:

Hi again, 

I’ve done a photo comparison of the two,

using the base of the fin and the top of the intake as my reference points, throwing up this. I’ve also included a third photo to show the incorrect ‘ellipse’ profile of the Revell fin cap - both manufactures have it wrong as it should be somewhere between the two;

Regardless of the issues, I hated building the Revell tail - short shot on the intake and the top fairings, well....

Cheers,

WV908

Thanks!

I aligned mine on the leading edge...that helps tremendously! Not for the shape and location of the intake though.... and the rudder location is different then.

What I noted is the slightly different shape of the rear upper fuselage. The Revell one is nearly a plane at the rear end of the airbrakes. Italeri and Airfix already converge towards the nozzles there.

Maybe overall fintip height is the same ehen built?

Have 2 F3s built up, Italeri any Airfix respectively. They differ a LOT in the front.... radar size is totally off.... :(

Why can't they do their work right?

Edited by exdraken
  • Thanks 1

Hopefully this may help a bit;

47451252771_0d1293766a_b.jpg

A bit bittersweet using my last photo of an operational Tornado, but it’s the best side-on-ish reference I have.

Cheers,

WV908

Edit: I know i’ll have to alter details on one of the tails, but I may wait until I have them mounted to the fuselages until I actually alter them. There’s no point changing the height if they end up being ‘off’ when built up.

Edited by WV908
More words
  • Like 1

I don’t know which one is right or wrong... The main issue I see is when dealing with decals for schemes covering the whole tail.

However with regards to the overly thick top of the Revell fin, my prefered method is to sand the left and right top mating surface before glueing both halves. With no force applied, you are initially left with a gap on the very top of the tail. But that gap is easily closed with a clamp once the rest of the tail has set. That way the detail is preserved on the outer surface!

G

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, very random! The Mrs had a few choice words lol when that came home! But as a modelling guide it might just be useful to someone. I was thinking about doing a GR4 so I’m interested to see which one is the best starting point. If I could work out how to put pics on here from my iPad I could post one of it.

The Revell 1/144 Tornado has the same problem, so I think they measured wrong and it's affected their whole line. I inserted a block of plastic below the sensors and sanded the top front corner of the tail to make the tail match some high quality drawings I had.

This picture compares an unmodified tail and one I changed.

PxRBWS4.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've built several 1/32 Revell Tornados and that particular kit (which is probably the basis for the smaller scales) has an oversized fin - the chord is narrower at the bottom (due to a foreshortening of the rear fuselage). This means the sweepback angle is sharper than the real thing. I think this makes the upper angles of the fin cap and curve wrong as well.

I'm assuming the Italeri has it closer by looking at your side-by-side comparison above.

Spejic's fix above does address this to some extent!

Alan

Edited by Alan P
  • Thanks 1

There are a lot of drawings around for the Tornado that I have somewhere or other, off the top of my hat:

- Frank Mason in his relatively early Ian Allan book 

- A.H. Haley, printed in SMI ca. 1983

- both Aeroguides, but they are possibly „based“ on someone else’s 

- Mike Keep in some Ian Allan softback

- author not in my recollection, published in the AirDoc/Fox2 booklet. Their blurb claims they measured a real one and found out the length quoted in all official documents is incorrect. It’s the most recent one and ***may*** be the most reliable.

I could have a look and measure some dimensions.

From the pics it looks the Revell has less distance between rudder top and RWR, and possibly a slightly lower spine, though the latter impression may be caused by the different shape below the intercooler intake area.

• Thanks 1