Building IranAir A300-605R

Hi,

This has been an ongoing project since January 2015. When I first started this kit, there were no suitable decals available for it, so I just started building and waited for decals to get made. Eventually in 2016 F-DCAL came out with a few A300-600 sheets, one being IranAir, which I opted for. I wanted to build a specific aircraft I have flown on, either Kuwait Airways or IranAir. I settled with IranAir. I flew on EP-IBB in December 2014 from Tehran to London Heathrow and modeled this kit after that bird. 

The A300 is my all time favorite aircraft. I don't build in 1/144 but made an exception for the superb Authentic Airliners's 1/144 resin kits. This kit was a dream to assemble and all the parts fit exceptionally well. The final stage of assembly necessary is the gear. 

IranAir decals are from F-DCAL and wing/detail decals are a mix of Liveries Unlimited and Revell Beluga kit sheets with Authentic Airliners windows. Paint is decanted Tamiya Gloss White & Insignia White and Alclad metal paints. I hope to have this finished by the end of 2019.

Kit: Authenic Airliners 1/144 A300-600 resin kit

The kit comes with both GE and PW4000 engines:

40479486133_7b87cafd0a_b.jpg

46722245994_f0295ceb19_b.jpg

46722246164_979967b2ff_b.jpg

At this point, I was planning on adapting a Kuwait Airways A340 sheet to fit this kit, but scrapped that idea:

40479486273_af3be0fb87_b.jpg

First coat of airbrushed decanted Tamiya Gloss white was spotchy and required 2-3 more coats to fully cover:

40479486253_03e84f9fbb_b.jpg

DACO aluminum leading edge decals were used:
40479486223_29209a0fbd_b.jpg

EP-IBB, delivered new to IranAir in 1994 as one of two A300's IranAir were allowed buy to replace the A300 shot down by the US Navy in 1988:
46722246094_a89ab5ceda_b.jpg

Before anybody comments, yes, these are the correct wing pattern corroguard. 

40479486283_a623afa31f_o.jpg

46722246174_e00844cba7_b.jpg

I was able to finally complete the painting on the engines 2 weeks ago before I had to leave home for 4 months for work. They will be detailed with decals prior to attaching to wings.

40479486193_70643df9c5_b.jpg

46722246054_a807c3f3e5_c.jpg

40479486183_ea73aa9c2b_z.jpg

Edited by Hasegawa Geek
  • Like 13

That is just magnificent.

I'm totally with Jeff - please contact the moderators and get the thread moved to Work in Progress so that everybody can see it, not just the airliner regulars.

Dave G

• Like 1

Thank you gentleman. And oops, I posted this in the wrong section initially. I blame 5 days of sleep deprivation...being an Army Officer will do that to you!

Jure, great pic of BB. The all white livery is very elegant and makes the A300 look like any other modern airline. When I was on the London - Tehran leg, I flew on -IBD and we stopped in Budapest for fuel. 

wow, awesome! what a nice build, and best choice for liverie and kit!!! will this bird geht a dirty washing? i think every iran air plane can have a bit of wahsing on it 🙂

• Like 1

That looks superb HG. 

Pity the Kuwait scheme was abandoned as it was one of the nicest liveries around until they changed it a couple of years ago.

Looking forward to seeing it finished too.

Chris.

• Like 1

Hello

I believe on this occasion BB flew to Paris or perhaps to Frankfurt but the reason for landing in Ljubljana was probably the same - topping fuel tanks due to sanctions in country of her original destination. Nevertheless I considered myself quite lucky as it was the first time I saw Iranian airliner on Brnik (LJLJ). Nice kit (those resin wings look remarkably wrap-free) and its build is progressing very well, Hasegawa Geek. Cheers

Jure

• Like 1

Hi Keith

Wow - looks great and good luck with your assembly. My all spying little eye spotted a set of 1/200 747 GE's in the background on your table - I'd be just as keen to see that 1/200 build too.....

While I was hanging around at LHR last Thursday waiting for the new BA Negus Livery 747 to drop in, I saw an Iran Air A3XX on the tarmac over at T2 from a distance. I don't know if it was the same reg that you flew into LHR on or not but at least I have now recently seen one of Iran's up close.

A Big question for you. I have just had my 1/144 AA 747 delivered, what glue did you use to attach the wings. I was thinking about drilling out a female hole and using a brass rod male type pin to secure the angle of attachment and give the assembly a more rigid fixing - I am aware that if the ends of the 747's wings get accidently knocked, they act as a massive lever and the fuselage / wing root joint effectively become the hinge point where the stress will probably leave the joint area being bent, broken, snapped, cracked.

Regards - John

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gimme Shelter said:

Hi Keith

Wow - looks great and good luck with your assembly. My all spying little eye spotted a set of 1/200 747 GE's in the background on your table - I'd be just as keen to see that 1/200 build too.....

While I was hanging around at LHR last Thursday waiting for the new BA Negus Livery 747 to drop in, I saw an Iran Air A3XX on the tarmac over at T2 from a distance. I don't know if it was the same reg that you flew into LHR on or not but at least I have now recently seen one of Iran's up close.

A Big question for you. I have just had my 1/144 AA 747 delivered, what glue did you use to attach the wings. I was thinking about drilling out a female hole and using a brass rod male type pin to secure the angle of attachment and give the assembly a more rigid fixing - I am aware that if the ends of the 747's wings get accidently knocked, they act as a massive lever and the fuselage / wing root joint effectively become the hinge point where the stress will probably leave the joint area being bent, broken, snapped, cracked.

Regards - John

John,

Those GE's are the ones that ended up on the Gabon ;) Old pic. There is a Hasegawa 747-100 Air France kit that is in the process of being sanded down and repaired (fuselage was cracked in few places). The guy I bought it from tried to build it in 1989 (it has the receipt of sale still!) and gave up and its quite a mess. I will probably just put a basic livery on it and save the BA Landor for a fresh kit. 

As for the wings on this kit. I am 95% sure I used 5 minute epoxy years ago when I started it. The wings themselves are not very heavy even with engines attached so I did not warrant the need for reinforcing with metal. On the 747, I would probably do so. The landing gear on this kit is the biggest issue I am finding since they are not metal and need to hold up a very heavy weight of the fuselage. AA offered metal A300/A310 gear about a year ago and I foolishly did not jump on them when available. 

On 3/23/2019 at 7:16 PM, RCI said:

wow, awesome! what a nice build, and best choice for liverie and kit!!! will this bird geht a dirty washing? i think every iran air plane can have a bit of wahsing on it 🙂

I will give it a little weathering, but nothing crazy ;)

On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 7:51 PM, Hasegawa Geek said:

John,

Those GE's are the ones that ended up on the Gabon ;) Old pic. There is a Hasegawa 747-100 Air France kit that is in the process of being sanded down and repaired (fuselage was cracked in few places). The guy I bought it from tried to build it in 1989 (it has the receipt of sale still!) and gave up and its quite a mess. I will probably just put a basic livery on it and save the BA Landor for a fresh kit. 

As for the wings on this kit. I am 95% sure I used 5 minute epoxy years ago when I started it. The wings themselves are not very heavy even with engines attached so I did not warrant the need for reinforcing with metal. On the 747, I would probably do so. The landing gear on this kit is the biggest issue I am finding since they are not metal and need to hold up a very heavy weight of the fuselage. AA offered metal A300/A310 gear about a year ago and I foolishly did not jump on them when available. 

I will give it a little weathering, but nothing crazy ;)

Hi Keith

Cheers - I remember the lovely Gabon build. My AA 747 did come with both resin and white metal landing gear but I am thinking of building her as a cruiser wearing the new Negus Livery now. Thanks for the tip on the 5 minute epoxy too. Hope those Landor decals have made it to you

John

On 3/28/2019 at 1:02 PM, Gimme Shelter said:

Hi Keith

Cheers - I remember the lovely Gabon build. My AA 747 did come with both resin and white metal landing gear but I am thinking of building her as a cruiser wearing the new Negus Livery now. Thanks for the tip on the 5 minute epoxy too. Hope those Landor decals have made it to you

John

Hi John,

I will check with my mail getter about the decals. I have not been home for a few weeks but I am sure they have arrived safely. Sometimes it takes months(!) for parcels to arrive from the UK to me for some reason. Hopefully this isn't the case! Thank you again.

Bill