1/1000 USS Defiant

Have gotten back into sci fi for a 'quick' build, I pulled out the Defiant model from PL.

KIpKE4d.jpg

I started with the clear parts, backing them with silver and then spraying Tamiya clear red and blue, then masked them. There is a mask set available, but being the same price as the kit I decided not to buy them.

mBCbt0s.jpg

8Ao7AZP.jpg

The eight clear parts on the spine were also done and then covered with masking fluid.

hMLkSum.jpg

6orsmGP.jpg

Then onto the nose and the neck attachment. The way the kit is made, the gap between the head and the main body was a little too wide, so I grounded out the locating point so that it would seat a little tighter.

4tPJymf.jpg

UevQak3.jpg

8VbRavB.jpg

Before...

otPXnju.jpg

After...

6LSb1mj.jpg

Then onto closing the hull up and cleaning up the edges and adding the nacelles.

u2KCF8N.jpg

Gk4o4gC.jpg

IyCfnEH.jpg

12PZoHU.jpg

After that it was onto paint. I used Model Master Light Gray for the base color, over a panel shading of Tamiya Nato Black.

vHhm5lc.jpg

eMorz0q.jpg

I've decided to forgo most of the paneling decals. I'll be using just the registry, pennants and windows only and sticking to paints for the rest. So, out came the Tamiya tape...

o4LywD5.jpg

tTMqiMG.jpg

As in the pic above, I used the white Tamiya tape for curves to help with some of the curves. But one side lifted shortly after being applied and was replaced with regular Tam tape. The other side stuck - until the next day when it too slipped, but I was into painting before I realized it. A couple of paint and mask sessions followed...

CWsdzGq.jpg

37cGLT3.jpg

G7MWtEz.jpg

...until I am finally to here...

L5LA58X.jpg

cjga8zv.jpg

xvCuFlW.jpg

I'm not done yet by any means as there are two other colors to lay down, and some clean up to be done here and there, but so far I am glad I decided not to use the decals.

Will update shortly. Model on!

Edited by Thom216
  • Like 11

• 2 months later...

Thanks a whole lot! Sorry I forgot to keep the updates coming. She's all done now, except for some snafu moments, such as with the masking fluid over the eight blue circles on the back. In most, the fluid was stuck like glue so that part didn't turn out to great. Next time, I'll detail those first, paint the area around them and then mask it before moving onto the hull work.

As to her size, I keep thinking she should be smaller. Sit her next to a 1/1000 Reliant or Enterprise and, in TMP measurements, she's a beast!

As stated, I only used the pennant decals and the windows, and started applying those over a generous gloss coat.

spacer.png

I decided to use the tan decals for the panels, and wished I had gone with paint after seeing the two middle ones don't fit exactly. Next time...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I finally got the bussards done. It took a few tries, at first trying with masks that never worked right. Ended up backing with silver, over spraying with clear red and then hand painting the grays. The two lines going across them were done with a copper marker pen.

spacer.png

spacer.png

But, you'll notice on the starboard bussard, another self-made snafu. I decided to use some glue on snap-on parts that don't need glue, which then reacted with the silver on the back and left a dark swath through the red...

Moving on though, to the stern and the impulse engines glued into their holes.

spacer.png

And doing a close fly-by!

spacer.png

Will point out that the red stripe under the nose was too long. After it was on I had to cut the excess off with a hobby knife.

After that it was onto finishing. I hadn't intended to do too much, but with the mess up with the bussard and some paint peal, I decided to go with a battle damaged bird. I used artists chalks applied with q-tips and some paint for impact points.

spacer.png

Grime helped to mask the damaged paint in the bussard.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

After a matte coat, she's off to the RFI!!

Edited by Thom216
  • Like 4