Nimrod R1 Colours in the 1990's

Bt0409

I know that the Airfix Nimrod has been built and discussed many times in the forums but I have a question which I can't seem to find the answer on in any of them.

I'm about to start this model in the near future. As I was at Waddington in the late 90's I'm going to build it as an R1 around this period. The instructions all show that this should be painted in Humbrol 168 Hemp and 166 Light A/C Grey but if my ageing memory serves me right and from the photos I've seen this isn't right. Between the Hemp and Grey the bottom of the fusalage is a lighter shade of hemp which is unlikely to have been caused by fading in the elements. The Humbrol Hemp also seems to be a bit dark to me for the scale even though she's a big beast.

Anyone have any advice?

Brian

I think you need to move this topic to the Cold War section of Military Aircraft Modelling as this forum is for technical support of the forums themselves. I am sure if you contact the mods they will help. 

Brian the Nimrods didn’t use two shades of Hemp/Camouflage Beige.  The effect that you refer to could be down to a number of factors but the two that most readily occur to me are (I) the difference in the light reflected from the (relatively) slab-sided pannier and the more curvaceous cylindrical fuselage above it and/or (II) the aeroplane’s been “patch painted” rather than given an overall respiratory as would probably occur on major servicings and you’ve got a contrast between new and old paint.  Sadly I really can’t see the Misery of Disarmament shelling out for two shades of Hemp when the accountant-in-charge says that one will do (and just think of all that extra Maskol and tape)🤣🤣!

• Like 1

It's only two colours Hemp and Light Aircraft Gray, Hemp is a devil for fading and as others have pointed out the airframe paint work got a lot of patching up and hence the appearance of different shades, ambient lighting and shade has a big effect on how it looks too, faded Hemp has even been misidentified as Medium Sea Grey! 

John     

• Like 1

As others say that scheme was Hemp over light Aircraft Grey, the tonal effect is exaggerated on Nimrods due to the circular section of the fuselage as opposed to the flat sided pannier and its nose section contours.  As John says, Hemp was a swine for fading, some Nimrods had a very patchwork look going on!

• Like 1

Definitely hemp over light aircraft grey. By the mid to late 90’s the smaller roundels were also applied to all Nimrod’s as they were returned after major servicing, I think the serials were changed from black to white  too. If you were modelling a jet just prior to going to NMSU you could replicate a tatty and faded paint scheme but with the larger roundels - but check your references because I recall seeing two R1’s between 1992-95, one of which was Damian (XW666). 

Edited by Rickoshea52

2 hours ago, Rickoshea52 said:

one of which was Damian (XW666). 

When I was on 51 Sqn (Late 81 to mid 87), XW666 was known as "The Beast" and was painted with that name for one detachment, whilst XW664 was "Norman" and XW665 was "The Grey Lady" as she was the last in the old White/ Lt Grey scheme.

• Like 1