The Superb detailing on that crabber completes a wonderful scene.

Utterly inspired and inspiring.

And so nice to see such un-military modelling.

Take a bow that Man!!:clap2:

Rob

• Thanks 1

Gidday Kev, this is a superbly detailed little model, and I know others have said it before me but it looks like the real thing.

Please excuse my ignorance but what is the reason for the two "legs" holding the boat upright? My apologies if you have already answered this question earlier. Regards, Jeff.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for all the kind comments 🙂

@Courageous   obviously olde-worldy technical speak. Looking most excellent, you feel as though you can just climb and go for a spin

Just proves someone reads my ramblings lol. Thole pins were the precursor to the rowlock i.e. the two metal pins between which the oar was placed.

You're welcome to take her for a spin next time you're down. I'm afraid the attractive red head stays with me :whistle:

52 minutes ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Please excuse my ignorance but what is the reason for the two "legs" holding the boat upright?

The legs are due to the fact that the underside of the craft is wine glass shape. Most ports/coves and even harbours down here are tidal leaving the boats high and dry. This would leave the boats to fall over. so the legs are simply bolted to the sides. They are of course removed when sailing. 

There are/used to be exceptions to this rule. The boats built for St Ives on the North Coast had much flatter bottoms allow the craft to take to the sand at a shallow angle.

Kev

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

As always another small but perfectly formed masterpiece the details are just amazing to see when you realise the size of this little beauty  👍

PS the seagully would only make a mess of it  :whistle:

beefy

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Deeply sorry I have not returned sooner to catch up Kev - my loss entirely as you just seem to effortlessly produce each successive new element with the quiet flourish of a magician. Your eye for worn surfaces is unparalleled imho (and I don't say that to many men). :thumbsup:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here we go . . . .   the diorama is complete. Just an odd touch up and flash with matt varnish. I wont be posting in RIP for a bit as I want to make a frame/base with a perspex cover. If I manage. I'll post in RIP.

So let the pics do the talking

" Home from the War "

P1090568 (Copy)

P1090569 (Copy)

P1090570 (Copy)

P1090572 (Copy)

In the following pic you can see the chain strop fed through the forward part of the keel. This was shackled to the capstan wire visible in the foreground and used to pull the boat up the slipway. The granite is actually grooved in real life and discoloured by the keel strap and wire. To move the boat to one side a snatch block was attached to a heavy chain to divert the pull of the capstan  wire. An old chain and snatch block are in the foreground of the grass.

P1090575 (2) (Copy)

P1090578 (Copy)

P1090579 (Copy)

P1090577 (Copy)

I hope you have enjoyed the pics

Kev

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Absolutely stunning work :worthy:

This little scene has you thinking of the sea rolling in on the shore and of course the seagulls flying over head  :coolio:

beefy 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The term 'Museum Quality' is often thrown around a bit lightly. This diorama is, I feel, in a class of its own, Kev. Just remind me of the scale again? 

• Thanks 1

Truly wonderful Kev, when I saw your header for that last series of photos I got quite a lump in my throat, the poignancy of the tale implicit in your wee dio rang out strong & true. I've really enjoyed following this. Thanks.

Steve.

• Thanks 1

:blush:

Thank you all for your kind / supportive comments and likes.

8 hours ago, stevehnz said:

when I saw your header for that last series of photos I got quite a lump in my throat, the poignancy of the tale implicit in your wee dio rang out strong & true. I've really enjoyed following this.

Mission accomplished, so glad you and the others enjoyed following my slightly wonky path.

9 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

it meets with our alien approval!

I hope returning to the TID tug build will meet there approval . . . 

10 hours ago, seadog said:

Just remind me of the scale again? 

1/72 :shrug: positively huge compared with the TID @ 1/200

11 hours ago, beefy66 said:

seagulls flying over head

Pinching your pastie and sh1tting on yr head 

11 hours ago, TheBaron said:

No small vignette in the powerful sense of place it evokes

10 hours ago, Dads203 said:

A very powerful diorama

Means a lot that I've got the contents of my shrinking brain enshrined in plastic

Thanks again one and all

Kev

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Really superb work Kev. I love absolutely everything about it, especially the internals of the boat ............. oh and especially that rusted anchor chain........ oh and of course that rusty corrugated roof..........oh and those magnificent lobster pots ........... oh and the bottom of that upturned holed boat ......... oh and the returning sailor ........... oh and especially everything else!

Inspired of deepest south Dorset

Terry

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Rob.....Late to the party  :doh:

Kev - the figure raises it to another level - you are producing and defining a new genre -  visually lyrical with a Betjeman poignancy.  "Lyrical Modelling"

We really should have some Peter Grimes playing in the background (story aside :unsure:) or perhaps the Sea symphony by Vaughan Williams, to complete the sensual impact.

I can smell the Ozone - Go on .....sniff - smell that seaweed ..............

It's wonderful B) B)

(I'll go and lie down now.......)

Rob

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, robgizlu said:

Rob.....Late to the party  :doh:

Always welcome to the party Rob :beer:

Wow, I think :confused:

The only word I understood first time through was Ozone. So I googled and Jen is lying on the  floor in tears thinking about me being compared to a Poet and an Opera :rofl2:

Didn't know they did classical education in the valleys 😉 

Thanks for your kind comments :blush:

Kev off to compose another opera

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, longshanks said:

Fender Puddings

Been playing with ideas as to how to portray . . . .

This seems to work. Using Green Stuff epoxy putty I roughed out a fore and aft sausage

P1090608 (Copy)

P1090609 (Copy)

Once dry the sausages were sanded to shape. For someone used to Milliput it's strange how soft and flexible the Green Stuff is :hmmm:

When I'd got the shape sorted I wound 0.25mm thread around

P1090610 (Copy)

Et voila

P1090612 (Copy)

P1090613 (Copy)

P1090615 (Copy)

The puddings have yet to be shaped in properly and secured but good enough for government work. Need some washes/highlights and ragging but good enough for proof of concept

Thanks for looking in

Kev

Great stuff with the Green Stuff  :whistle:

But should this one not be it your TID Tug thread or have I missed something again  :hmmm:

beefy

• Like 1