This started with a 1/72 Corvette lifeboat and progressed from there . . . I did post the work on the lifeboat/punt but it seems to have disappeared.

The punt

P1090300 (Copy)

Layout

P1090393 (Copy)

Fisherman's store

Created with plastic card, tile grout and a needle in a pinvise used to carve the stone

P1090396 (Copy)

P1090395 (Copy)

P1090402 (Copy)

Though it may not show there are 7 prime colours used and another 5 wash/ pin/ etc. Cement yellowish as they probably would have used beach sand.

P1090403 (Copy)

The main characters

P1090406 (Copy)

P1090407 (Copy)

P1090408 (Copy)

P1090409 (Copy)

Thanks for stopping by on the next journey  ...........

Kev

Edit Thanks to @JohnWS He remembered where I built the lifeboat which became the punt. 

Edited by longshanks
  • Like 16

Gidday Kev, I like the derelict building with it's beach sand cement but I REALLY like the punt in the sorry state that it is. The worn blue paint in particular I think looks very authentic. And another plus, you've chosen common items in the photos for size comparison, which is a good idea I think. Matchsticks or rulers are good also. But I have seen coins used for this reason. I mean no criticism here but if a viewer is not familiar with that particular coin the size comparison is meaning less. To me, anyway. I think this is well done. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Excellent work: I admire your artist's eye as much as your execution.  The only reservation I have is that I'm not sure how many winter gales that sweet crazy paving would withstand.   From memory the boulders making up the working area down at Penberth and other similar places are considerably more massive.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for all the positive feedback 

6 hours ago, Dads203 said:

love the paint chipping in the hull of the boat

So you should you taught me 😉

3 hours ago, Seahawk said:

The only reservation I have is that I'm not sure how many winter gales that sweet crazy paving would withstand.  

I appreciate the feedback. I must admit it's an area I agonized over and I'm not convinced I've got it right.

As for crazy paving think iceberg! Only 10% is on show.

I tried to imagine the work involved in a small village community. No mechanical lifting gear/transport. The largest stone is 360 x 500mm.

Checking pics of Penberth some are bigger, some smaller.

Looking at it with the Crabber for scale I reckon I should have gone a tad bigger. Anyone else got any thoughts?

Kev

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, longshanks said:

Can I ask the moderators to remove the above pic or at least replace it with Demelza !

Quite right: this is a family show!  Actually I think you are modelling the hut where either one of the Carne brothers or their love interest is supposed to be living in the show.

Thanks for being receptive to my niggles.

Took a trip to Penberth Cove, thank you @Seahawk. Granite is totally different from the North Coast, shades of pink. More like the Channel Is. or North Coast of Brittany 

P1090935 (Copy)

and even a

P1090930 (Copy)

So carved out new flagstones

P1090412 (Copy)

Difficult not to go to deep so when I'd coloured the stones, I mixed some grey with the polfilla and grouted the stones just like you would with tiles

P1090415 (Copy)

P1090416 (Copy)

P1090419 (Copy)

P1090420 (Copy)

Colours a little light perhaps but I'd rather have that than to in your face.

Thanks for stopping by

Kev

• Like 14

Hey Kev did you really take your BOB the builder digger to get the correct type of stones for this build. 👷🏻‍♂️

Cracking job and not just on the crazy pavement. :whistle:

beefy 

• Haha 3

Great paved stones and wall.  I like both variations.  Though I just checked to make sure I WAS in the maritime section;)

On 3/25/2019 at 6:39 PM, beefy66 said:

Hey Kev did you really take your BOB the builder digger to get the correct type of stones for this build. 👷🏻‍♂️

Cracking job and not just on the crazy pavement. :whistle:

beefy 

Sounds like Beefy's come back refreshed :nodding:

Rob

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, robgizlu said:

Though I just checked to make sure I WAS in the maritime section

As if I'd venture anywhere else . . . . not allowed 😞

1 hour ago, robgizlu said:

Sounds like Beefy's come back refreshed

Still fun of mischief, he was supping the wrong ale.

Good to see you back, hope nothing broken 😉

Kev

• Thanks 1

This looks like it will be a charming little diorama. I shall lend this thread my customary support! Following!

Martian 👽

• Like 1

Now that's a great improvement.  Like the ever so faint pinkish colour to the granite: it's convincing to me and, in the unlikely event of anyone querying it, just say it's the light at that time of day.  Did you notice that at Penberth even the grouting has fist-sized pebbles in it?

1 hour ago, Martian Hale said:

I shall lend this thread my customary support!

My life is now complete 😉

Hope you enjoyed your break and your good lady is feeling better 🙂

A small catch up, Jethro the builder as been back and fitted a a window with one pane broken and a  ratty door 

P1090422 (Copy)

P1090424 (Copy)

and just to reassure @robgizlu that maritime stuff is still being done. I've started adding ribs to the Crabber

P1090427 (Copy)

17 minutes ago, Seahawk said:

Did you notice that at Penberth even the grouting has fist-sized pebbles in it?

I did, I must admit I was surprised as to how uneven the slipway was.

19 minutes ago, Seahawk said:

in the unlikely event of anyone querying it, just say it's the light at that time of day.

or I could just poke them in the eye . . .

Thanks for stopping by

Kev

• Like 10

1 hour ago, longshanks said:

My life is now complete 😉

Hope you enjoyed your break and your good lady is feeling better 🙂

Thanks Kev, I thought it would be.

We started out break yesterday and are now comfortably ensconced in our usual cottage on the Isle of Lismore. Mrs Martian is doing well but I wish she would do as she is told and stop rushing around all over the place. Are all Earth women like this or did I just pick the exception to the rule?

Martian 👽

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, robgizlu said:

Sounds like Beefy's come back refreshed :nodding:

Rob

Refreshed NO got back OK and now have cold   :cold:

21 hours ago, longshanks said:

Still fun of mischief, he was supping the wrong ale.

If it is Black with a Cream Head it is not the wrong Ale just had to much  :doh:

Anyway back to your building that top lintl looks a bit light weight are you sure Jethro has calculated the roof weight correctly  :hmmm:

3 hours ago, longshanks said:

or I could just poke them in the eye . . .

And that would be a sight for sore eyes ok the Leprechaun is now going to hibernate for a while with a hot water bottle  🤧

beefy

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, beefy66 said:

Anyway back to your building that top lintl looks a bit light weight are you sure Jethro has calculated the roof weight correctly  :hmmm:

Oh Dear! Now you've gone and upset Jethro :fight:

He's on his 'R'CB heading up the motorway to pay you a visit. 

It might take a while as He's never left the County before and Mrs Jethro tells me he doesn't have a passport

Worst of all he's left Denzil in charge . . . . . :hypnotised:

Kev

• Haha 4