Ultimate Modelling Products Thinners

nheather

I have a bottle of this and their airbrush cleaner too.

But I hold my hands up at (i) being relatively inexperienced with acrylic paints and (ii) thrifty enough to be attracted by a one product does all

What do you reckon, is this good stuff, does all it claims or should I buy Vallejo thinners for my Vallejo paint.

Cheers,

Nigel

Easy test: get a shot glass, put a few drops of Vallejo in there and then add some UMP thinner. Mix thoroughly and then move the shot glass so the mix gets on the "walls" as high as possible. Look carefully to see if there's any trace of "grit" on the walls or bottom. If there's no grit and the mix looks opaque then it works just fine. If you see grit and/or separation of pigment then you need Vallejo primer.

• Thanks 1

I use it all the time (when I'm actually modeling) and measure it by eye. Get the old consistency of  semi-skimmed milk, stir it or backflush the brush to mix and off you go :) life's too short to be counting drops and such ^_^

Just don't try using it with synthetic acrylics such as the new AK Real Color, as it'll curdle.

49 minutes ago, Mike said:

I use it all the time (when I'm actually modeling) and measure it by eye. Get the old consistency of  semi-skimmed milk, stir it or backflush the brush to mix and off you go :) life's too short to be counting drops and such ^_^

Just don't try using it with synthetic acrylics such as the new AK Real Color, as it'll curdle.

What’s a synthetic acrylic - aren’t they all synthetic?

This is the sort of thing that puzzles me about the thinners. The product listing says that it works with all acrylic paint with ‘all’ in capitals and in bold.  There are no exceptions in its advert.

Yet I am aware that different acrylics use different solvents - so how canone thinner do everything.

As for vallejo, I agree, it seems to work, but I’ve seen posts saying not to use alcohol with vallejo as it makes a ‘gummy mess’.  But with Tamiya you should use alcohol.  So how do you get a thinner that does both equally well.

Cheers,

Nigel

3 hours ago, nheather said:

What’s a synthetic acrylic - aren’t they all synthetic?

I'm not sure if I'm using the wrong term there, but I believe that the new RealColors (released after Ultimate thinners BTW) should only really be used with their own thinners or cellulose thinners (Mr.Color Levelling Thinner being my favourite).  IIRC, Ultimate have created a concoction of magic fluids like Tony implies, that can get along with certain of the more finicky paints, providing you slosh it in using a little more care.  Your best bet to get chapter and verse is to visit their website and check it out.  They have text & videos, and so forth there.  If you can't find a definitive answer, just drop 'em a line, as Lee and the boys are always pleased to help :)

I have a genuine bonafide acrylic paint we've made as a test sample sat here in my house that thins using our existing naptha based Colourcoats thinner.

Why would we do that? Because the word acrylic is practically meaningless on a paint container but having it there will sell far better than the having the word enamel there. It's a buzzword. Nothing more. The potential chemistry varieties and differing behavioural properties and compatibilities within the broad church of "acrylics" is vast.

As per the above advice; if using anything other than what the manufacturer prescribes, test a small sample first. Manufacturers can't test everyone elses' accessory products, and can't endorse using them because they can't control what anyone else subsequently does to tweak third party accessory products.

• Like 2