Rebuilding corrugated surfaces, my way

Orso

I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this but I thought that I should share my way of handling conversion of corrugated surfaces.

Swedish Ju52's had the wing engines mounted parallel to the fuselage instead of pointing outward so to build one I had to alter the wings. This method I will use on the single engine Ju52 to.

wing01.JPG
First I removed the fairings on the wings.

wing02.JPG
Plastic card replaced the fairings and the corrugated pattern were removed around this.

wing03.JPG
0,4 mm plastic rods from Plaststruct was used to rebuild the missing corrugation.

wing04.JPG
The same was done on the underside of the wings.

As there isn't any true airliner Ju52 kits I have to convert the civilian kits. The Italeri kit has cargo doors with windows but they can't be used for a prewar airliner.
As it is a hatch the windows will be placed lower than the rest in the line and the corrugation has a finer pitch than the one on the fuselage.

right01.JPG
To fix this I removed the corrugated pattern on the hatch and cut off a piece of the top of the hatch to get the windows lined up to the rest. This mean that a piece of plastic needed to be add at the bottom.
Part of the corrugation was removed on the fuselage around the hatch. I made it a bit random so if I don't manage to blend the new parts in perfectly it would not be a straight line visible. I imagine that it would be easier to hide the  seam this way.

right02.JPG
With the new piece in place it was time for filler. I use the standard Tamiya putty as I need something that the glue will stick to/dissolve. I am using Ethyl Acetate when building but any glue that melt plastic would work.

right03.JPG
The missing corrugation was then rebuilt using 0,4 mm plastic rods from Plastruct. This is another model than the previous picture. It is a very early Ju52 with a wider and lower door at the rear so this is why it look different. The corrugation also runs lower on the fuselage. A door needed to be added behind the cockpit.

right04.JPG
Back to the first kit. The corrugation on the doors have a finer pitch. For this I used 0,3 mm plastic rod.
A file was used to form the new parts to blend in with the old corrugation. I dilute putty so it can be brushed on to smooth everything out.

right05.JPG
The result. It's not 100% perfect but one needs to look close to find the joints though? The same method was used for the missing pattern under the fuselage.

right06.JPG
The new door. Here we are back to the early Ju52. It had more corrugation on the nose.

ford1m_01.JPG
But sometimes one can get lucky. On my Ford Trimotor conversion I found plastic card with a matching pattern. I don't have the package left but I think it was V-Groove Siding #4030 from Evergreen.

• Like 20