new Gotha G1 from wingnuts

europapete

I just found out about these this morning and am waiting on more information from Wingnut Wings with regards to UK RRP etc. so once I have the go ahead from them I will be opening up for pre-orders on these.  (I will be ordering directly from Wingnut Wings as I now have a direct Trade account so there won't be any long delays in future.)

Duncan B

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Duncan B said:

I just found out about these this morning and am waiting on more information from Wingnut Wings with regards to UK RRP etc. so once I have the go ahead from them I will be opening up for pre-orders on these.  (I will be ordering directly from Wingnut Wings as I now have a direct Trade account so there won't be any long delays in future.)

Duncan B

Probably be interested in one of these please Duncan.. but which one.....?

• Haha 1

Wingnutwings are great models, amazing instruction manuals, however I'm still making my first Wingnutwings BF2 and this has to be the hardest model to make.  The tolerances are nil.  Dont have paint on the parts that fit together.  The RFC rigging is flat wire which RB productions provide but again a real challenge in fitting!  Just wanted to get this off my chest.

7 hours ago, Admiral Puff said:

Oh dear ...

Gotha G1: http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/product?productid=3198

Gotha UWD: http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/product?productid=3199

2019 is getting more and more expensive!

Sorry to be pedantic but your link takes you to the same one... (The G1) At least it does for me...

I think the absence of the usual multiple replies on this thread which normally accompanies any new WNW release possibly gives some indication to the somewhat underwhelming subjects chosen. Yes I know 'you can't please all the people all the time ...blah blah" and I'm sure they will be fine models but they are hardly subjects 95% of modellers would be interested in or have featured in 'wants' polls.

Say what you like about WNW but they do what they want to produce rather than be driven by commercial considerations to the exclusion of all others. Personally, I would have loved an Avro 504 or a Sopwith 1 1/2 strutter or (I have all but given up on hope on these two ) a Dr1 or SPAD XIII.

Gary

• Like 5

Ok there is no point in stating  the obvious but here goes - I didn’t see that one coming.  

I am not sure I will be rushing out to buy this one but I have said  that before as well.  

I have to agree with @redcap The Gotha  G.1 and the UWD seem a bit of an odd choice given their service history. There was only ever one example of the UWD and it was used very little before it was written off although it did take part in a bombing raid on the UK which was so successful that no-one even seems to know when exactly it happened so it didn't make much of an impact. The G.1 didn't do much either, produced in very limited numbers and of little importance in service.  Apart from their unusual looks there is little else to commend them as 'worthy' subjects in comparison to all those very important and much more attractive looking aircraft that have yet to be kitted. Given the shortness of my funds these days, I have to be more selective and I have to say that, when I received the email from Wingnuts I straight away knew I wouldn't be putting my money down on these and I haven't changed in that view yet.

• Like 2

That UWD is a thing of rare beauty. I may be forced to buy one, size and lack of service history regardless.

While I do understand the feeling, I must quietly and respectfully disagree with the 'bah humbug' sentiment evident in this thread. Mr J can (and does!) do as he pleases with his little manufactory, and in doing so he's introducing the modelling community to types that most of us have never heard of, in a quality kit at a price that isn't insane. That can't be bad, surely? IMO the lesser types should be just as celebrated as the heroes are and Pete (we're mates, he insists that I call him that*) is doing them proud. Personally, I find these odd types fascinating and I'm glad that someone's doing them!

* Yes, of course I'm joking. I call him Sir Peter, just like everyone else does.¶

¶ Really? You actually believe that I know a bloke who owns a model company? I have a bridge that you might like to buy...

• Like 3

11 hours ago, keithjs said:

Sorry to be pedantic but your link takes you to the same one... (The G1) At least it does for me...

Dunno what went wrong there - I copied from the WNW site!

And Rob, you can't sell it - IT'S MINE!

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, keithjs said:

Probably be interested in one of these please Duncan.. but which one.....?

Keith,

you never, NEVER ask Duncan the :pirate: (it's a Pirate! Shhh...) @Duncan B questions like that, he'll have you selling the wife and children,

he's a dealer you know.....

• Haha 3

When you're wealthy and own a model company, you can produce whatever you want! Mr. Jackson must really love the G.1; I do too, so I will probably pick one up. He's definitely pouring resources into larger aircraft, so maybe we will eventually see a Kangaroo, Vimy, Friedrichshafen, Staaken, Letord, Caudron R, and an Ilya Muromets! However, I do agree that there are many more common types that need to be done. I have to admit that I was completely shocked when I saw this. The only other kit of a G.1 - that I know of - was made by Choroszy Modelbud in 1/72. I sincerely hope that someone will produce a 1/32 and 1/48 Breguet 14 and Breguet 19 soon. There are so many beautiful schemes for these aircraft. A Lohner flying boat would be nice too.

The Choroszy kit is very nice:

https://www.super-hobby.com/zdjecia/0/1/4/19086_3-c15b.jpg

https://www.super-hobby.com/products/Gotha-G-I.html

Edited by Hobo
  • Like 2

Well, I think it is fantastic news. 😁😁 Going to sell some of my single-seaters now as I can't see them being built any time soon.

Edited by GrahamB
  • Like 1

Excellent news.

Always good to hear as the quality of the entire package is commendable.

By the way p/e flat rigging is a waste of time. It wont work on the fine quality WNW kits , they are to close to the winged lawn furniture they resemble.

IMG-4529.jpg

• Like 1

A Kangaroo would be the mouse's twousers! I'm at a loss to understand why we haven't seen an Avro 504 yet - it's so well known, and would surely be hugely popular - but I suppose it's Sir Peter's moolah, so he spends it how he sees fit ...

10 hours ago, Rob G said:

That UWD is a thing of rare beauty. I may be forced to buy one, size and lack of service history regardless.

While I do understand the feeling, I must quietly and respectfully disagree with the 'bah humbug' sentiment evident in this thread. Mr J can (and does!) do as he pleases with his little manufactory, and in doing so he's introducing the modelling community to types that most of us have never heard of, in a quality kit at a price that isn't insane. That can't be bad, surely? IMO the lesser types should be just as celebrated as the heroes are and Pete (we're mates, he insists that I call him that*) is doing them proud. Personally, I find these odd types fascinating and I'm glad that someone's doing them!

* Yes, of course I'm joking. I call him Sir Peter, just like everyone else does.¶

¶ Really? You actually believe that I know a bloke who owns a model company? I have a bridge that you might like to buy...

Couldn't have said it better myself. Go to the top of the Class :)

9 hours ago, PhoenixII said:

Keith,

you never, NEVER ask Duncan the :pirate: (it's a Pirate! Shhh...) @Duncan B questions like that, he'll have you selling the wife and children,

he's a dealer you know.....

Aha me hearties, I already have 2 of each on order special for Keiff. He be jiggered by the main brace if he reneges and a Corsair's curse awaits him in Davy Jones's locker if he tries to run (and yes that does say "£1000" on me website but it's a placeholder until I's get the exchange rate for Spanish doubloons sorted. Until then have this black spot free of charge 🌑)!

Duncan B(lackbeard)

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Duncan B said:

Couldn't have said it better myself. Go to the top of the Class :)

Aha me hearties, I already have 2 of each on order special for Keiff. He be jiggered by the main brace if he reneges and a Corsair's curse awaits him in Davy Jones's locker if he tries to run (and yes that does say "£1000" on me website but it's a placeholder until I's get the exchange rate for Spanish doubloons sorted. Until then have this black spot free of charge 🌑)!

Duncan B(lackbeard)

No..No...! You can't make me buy one I'm telling you I won't......! OK, go on then just the G1....👍

• Haha 2

WnW never cease to amaze! I'm sure we'll get an Avro 504, Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter (please, please!  😍) etc in good time. For now I just love these more unusual subjects, that G1 looks likes it has been built upside down, and I actually find the UWD good looking in a quirky sort of way.

My only problem with them is where am I going to put them....

• Like 1

Of course it's Sir Peter's ball game and no-one disputes his right to do as he wishes it's just a bit odd that he wants these kits before he wants the real famous or spectacular aircraft. Give me a Zeppelin Staaken over the G.1 any day. If it's about challenge and oddity then where on earth are the Farmans, Spad S.A-2 and the Voisin III?

As we all have limited life spans that are ticking down all the time then, for me, the 'Odds and Ends' should be after all the good stuff has already been amassed. 

• Like 2