Payen Pa 101 racer, 1/72 scratchbuilt

Found a few more that I have forgotten to post, from long ago, when the hand was even less able than today.

(Model built in -and text from- 2007, that is 12 years ago, when I was starting to dabble on scratchs):

Retro-futurism at its best.

Credited as the first delta wing plane and the first delta canard, this extremely streamlined racing machine was created by French designer Roland Nicolas Payen. It was supposed to receive an inline engine to fit the carefully polished lines of the plane, but what it got was a radial that had to be adapted to the existing fuselage, creating a sight that we only thought could come out of a comic magazine of the era.

Before you ask, yes, it did fly. It never made it to the races or speed record flights, but for sure all involved had a lot of fun.

The first –very cautious- flight was made by Louis Massotte, chief pilot for Bleriot, on October 1934.

In April 1935 is flown by Jean Meunier. After several flights that demonstrate the critics the viability of the design, it had a bad landing and although not very badly damaged it is decided to proceed instead with other designs.

Prop and wheels came from Aeroclub.

Payen+white+002+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

Payen+white+2+001+%25281280x952%2529.jpg

Payen+white+001+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

Payen+white+2+003+%25281280x949%2529.jpg

Payen+white+2+004+%25281280x939%2529.jpg

Payen+white+2+006+%25281280x946%2529.jpg

Payen+white+2+007+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

Payen+white+2+010+%25281024x768%2529.jpg

Payen+white+2+012+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 22

A stunning little model Moa. A very interesting design - made to look a little comical with the switch to a radial engine but a great attempt at streamlining.

Cheers

Malcolm

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Baldy said:

A stunning little model Moa. A very interesting design - made to look a little comical with the switch to a radial engine but a great attempt at streamlining.

Cheers

Malcolm

Nice shape indeed.

A cottage industry French outfit, GLLOKIT, released a kit in resin in 2011. Bold choice.

I have never seen one.

Cheers

Nicely done, again. I've seen a drawing of this plane in Air International. It would look really cool with an inverted inline engine. The radial makes it look like some kind of a joke.

Cheers,

Wlad

• Thanks 1

I am not surprised that it did not make it to the races, I suspect that the pilot had his work cut out just trying to steer the thing once it had got off the ground, let alone follow a specified route! It looks as though it had the flying characteristics of a streamlined brick if the engine was turned off. Brilliant model of another unique subject.

P

• Haha 1

• 1 year later...

Hi Moa,

beside another build that deserves, as usual, the most heartfelt congrats, I want to thank you for showing one of the many brainwaves of one of my heroes!

The world was not ready for Payen... It must be hard to be a precursor.

Super well done and thanks for sharing.

JR

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, jean said:

Hi Moa,

beside another build that deserves, as usual, the most heartfelt congrats, I want to thank you for showing one of the many brainwaves of one of my heroes!

The world was not ready for Payen... It must be hard to be a precursor.

Super well done and thanks for sharing.

JR

Thanks very much, JR!

Another Payen admirer! What are the odds!

In case you haven't seen it when first posted many moons ago: (EDIT: I see now that you visited that post already at the time!)