My own personal Battle of Britain

Okay, it was a brilliant bit of plastic that I managed to butcher into a semblance of an aeroplane.

Built OOB from the Airfix BoB 75th anniversary set.

The kit was great.  So I decided to try using some previously untried techniques (as I'm a stone-age modeller) such as using paint masks, etc.

The glazing masks were fiddly but effective (pity they are only single use).

The camo masks were not so effective.  I've done better with making tape and careful cutting using a scalpel.

And I had a big fight with the Xtracolour paints.  My paint of choice let me down this time.  Or I let it down.

RLM 65 came out wrong.  So a second coat from a brand new tin hid the worst.

And I use a hairy stick.  None of that fancy airbrushing for me.

The upper surface contrast I expected was just not here.  (The pictures don't help).

And yes, I mixed and stirred and mixed and stirred.

The masks left demarcation edges, and thanks to micro mesh I managed to reduce these to a minimum.

But it ended up after months of sitting idle on the workbench looking vaguely like an He 111.

Shame the set did not come with all the detailed decals.  

But hey-ho, it saved me hours of fiddling with microscopically small details.

Lessons leaned.

Paint the inside frames of the  fuselage windows (I did like the 'plug-in' style)  before putting them in place.  As a result I have a lovely grey plastic surround to them where an RLM 02 surround would have been acceptable.  And I was reluctant to lever the carefully inserted and masked plastic out to recover the error!

You will have guessed by now that I'm not a rivet counter.

Leave the masks on the glazing until AFTER I have used the matting finish.

Do not slavishly follow the Airfix instructions on assembly of the undercarriage. 

That was a struggle, or I just got it wrong.  Probably the latter.

Other wise it was great and I sadly made a mess of what Airfix supplied.  Sorry guys.  Maybe I'll do better next time.

I must remember that this is a pastime I am supposed to enjoy.

resized_17695110-c1ff-4b3c-bdda-e8f14e4bresized_dcb9be67-d8a1-497a-9dca-256b3a20

• Like 35

Looks rather good to me.

I like how you've posed the hatch in the front glazing in the open position.

The upper colours look pretty right (to my eye) as well.

I think your perseverance paid off and I hope you are still able to call it all "fun", which is what it should be.

:goodjob:

• Thanks 1

Nothing wrong there as far as I am concerned, if you messed it up then you did a great recovery job 👍 I'm loving everything WW2 German atm.

I don't bother counting rivets either, I leave it to the competition modellers. keep on enjoying your hobby and your 100% there.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, CedB said:

… and me. Nice one.

It'll go well with your Spitfire and Me109. Have you fixed the Hurricane, or is that 'now lost in action'?

What's next? :) 

Hello CedB,

Thanks.  Yes, the Hurricane got fixed.  I must post pictures.

Next aeroplane is a bit away from the BoB.  An Fw 190A-5.  1/72 by Eduard.

I've kept reading about their stuff so thought I'd see if I could get the wings to stay on one.

But it looks so fiddly with all that ultra small and fine plastic to remove from the sprue.

I'm sort of dreading it.  In a fun way.

• Like 1