A-4N Skyhawk target tug - finished

zebra

My second build in this GB will be a Skyhawk. What's a Skyhawk doing in the trainers group build I hear you ask? Well it qualifies if it's a target tug! This will be an ex-Israeli A-4N now operated by BAE Systems Flight Systems at Wittmund on a target towing contract for the Luftwaffe.

I bought a Two Bobs sheet for these Skyhawks in 1/48 ages ago and have been looking out for a suitable kit ever since. The 1/48 Hasegawa A-4N popped up online from time to time but always at silly prices. Then last week I found the Brazilian A-4KU boxing - which contains identical plastic, except it doesn't have the extended tailpipe of the A-4N - at a reasonable price and snapped it up. Itching to build it, I looked at my modelling plans which this year are based on the group build schedule. The only one it might have fit in was the year I was born - there was a chance these airframes were built in 1973 - but no luck, I'm a year out! Then it dawned on me - they're target tugs, so they fit the trainers GB!

I've ordered some Eduard PE for the interior and to dress up the ejection seat, and a Quickboost tailpipe to convert it to the A-4N, so this is just a placeholder for now. But once all that stuff turns up I'll get cracking.

Edited by zebra
finished
  • Like 4

Certainly a complicated way to decide what to build but it's always good to see you in a Group build. 

Next year we will have the "Year my sister was born " Group build to cover off these issues. 

Colin 

🙂

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Eduard and Quickboost bits haven't turned up yet, but the Spitfires are done and I've started painting the Hunter so time to make a start on this. 

First up, the box shot:

A-4N WIP

Since I'm waiting for the interior PE, I'll just do a few sub-assemblies for now, but first: What use is a target tug without target towing equipment? 

In this case, the target towing equipment is a thing called an RM-30, carried on the centre line pylon. Of course there isn't one available in 1/48 - it's going to have to be scratch built. But it's largely cylindrical so it shouldn't be too hard. Here's a photo (from the QinetiQ website):

rm30a1.jpg

A bit of googling turned up the manufacturer's data sheet, which includes a couple of drawings and information on the dimensions. So I just needed to source some parts.

There's a turbine in the intake and whilst I didn't have one that looks exactly right, I figured a compressor from a 1/144 airliner might do the trick. I have a Minicraft DC-8 in the stash which includes the JT-3D engines, which I won't use on the DC-8 and which are fairly cylindrical in shape, so I measured these up - the diameter turned out to be close to the diameter of the RM-30 in 1/48, so I made the front end of the RM-30 by cutting the JT-3D nacelle off the pylon, and reshaping it a little with a sanding stick to get the curvature of the intake to look closer to the photo.

The rest of the body of the RM-30 is a slightly smaller diameter and tapers at the rear. A spare fuel tank from the Eduard 1/48 MiG-21 turned out to be about the right size, so I chopped one of those up and reshaped the back end a bit with a sanding stick.

So here's how it looks so far, alongside the drawing from the Meggitt data sheet:

RM-30A WIP

Whilst some filler was drying on this, I got on with a couple of subassemblies from the Hasegawa kit. Nothing worth showing photos of yet, but one massive gripe: The kit was described as complete on evilbay, but a previous owner has clearly taken the A-4N avionics hump off the sprues! The kit includes the A-4F hump, and I can't tell the difference, so I'm going to use that. But one part that's common to both is missing - it's not a major part, and looks easy enough to scratch build, but I shouldn't have to! Grrrrr...

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

The aftermarket bits turned up this week so I've made a start. Here's the cockpit with most of the Eduard pre-painted PE, and the Quickboost ejection seat (which I forgot I'd ordered!). Looks like I need to stick the back end of one of the side panels down again!

A-4N WIP

• Like 7

Airframe nearly complete. I really like this kit - there are a few minor fit issues but it goes together nicely and I've always loved the look of the Skyhawk. Will be painting soon, and I'd better get back to the RM-30 as I'll be wanting to attach it before I know it.

A-4N WIP

• Like 4

Nearly ready for paint. A couple of last minor mods needed first - the aerials added to the fin from plastic card, and I've removed the fins from the tanks. The RM-30 is progressing - I'm pretty happy with the shape now, and have scribed a few panel lines on it, and I'll give it a coat of primer to check over before I get on with the pylon and target.

A-4N WIP

thanks for looking

Z

• Like 5

Big step forward on the RM-30 - pylon attached. Much easier than I thought this would be - I built this simple jig from lego and held it in place with blu-tak, then cutting the styrene strips and gluing them was pretty straightforward. Now I need to make the bits that hold the target in place and then the RM-30 is pretty much ready to paint.

I've also made the target - this started out as a missile from the same Eduard MiG-21 kit that donated the fuel tank for the body of the RM-30.

cheers

Julian

1/48 RM-30 WIP

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Col. said:

Tidy work and inventive scratch-building :speak_cool:

Thanks Col. Quite enjoyed the scratch-building - easier than I thought it was going to be. Won't be the last time!

Finished the scratch-building and got some white paint on the Skyhawk today. Might get some decals on before the end of the weekend.

A-4N WIP

• Like 4

2 hours ago, stevej60 said:

look forward to seeing the scheme

Here you go then!

A-4N WIP

A-4N WIP

A-4N WIP

Nearly there. Today I've given it a little weathering - just a grey wash, these Skyhawks seem to be a little dirty but not filthy - added decals and assembled undercarriage doors, stores etc. Just need to give it a satin coat and add a few final small parts then it's done.

thanks for looking

Z

• Like 4

Finished. Really enjoyed this one. Haven't built a Hasegawa kit in years, I have a few in the stash, going to have to dig them out. And might need to get hold of a few more Skyhawks.

Better get back to the Hunter!

More photos in the gallery.

thanks for looking

Julian

1/48 A-4N Skyhawk

• Like 6

Lovely job :speak_cool:

You've captured a slightly dirty worn white look perfectly in my opinion. Impressive stuff.