Trumpeter 1:48 Scale RA-5C Vigilante

Vigilante is certainly very interesting bird that doesn't get too much attention. Hoping to get the 1/72 kit at some point.

Seems that you are going thru what I did with Trumpeter Su-15 Flagon. A LOT of panel lines & rivets to be rescribed after the sanding. It really took some time & effort and nearly stalled the whole build. But it was worth it in the end!

Will be following this thread with interest :)

• Thanks 1

On 17/10/2019 at 14:28, reini said:

Vigilante is certainly very interesting bird that doesn't get too much attention.

That’s right, @reini! The modellers building the same few kits over the last three or four decades.

Seems that you are going thru what I did with Trumpeter Su-15 Flagon. A LOT of panel lines & rivets to be rescribed after the sanding. It really took some time & effort and nearly stalled the whole build.

Not so many parts left in the box! I feel like after the sanding, rescribing and riveting the real fun starts... 😋

But it was worth it in the end!

I hope so! 😉

Will be following this thread with interest :)

Thank you! 🤝

• 3 weeks later...

Well , I  just caught up with your thread .

I hope your mojo will come back , 'cause this bird is fantastic , and your job on it is top notch !

As a sporadic updater myself , I'll stay tuned forever ! :bye:

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, basket said:

I hope your mojo will come back , 'cause this bird is fantastic , and your job on it is top notch !

Thank you for this kind of words, @basket🤝 I stuck with sanding and rescribing and I haven’t had any fun with it - looks like I’m lacking some skills to do it, or just haven’t enough motivation... 🤔

11 hours ago, basket said:

As a sporadic updater myself , I'll stay tuned forever ! :bye:

Thank you, I hope you’ll see something new here someday! 😉

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/12/2019 at 00:39, Booty003 said:

Hopefully this will be a touch of inspiration, the 1/72 version.

Looks magnificent! 😎

On 11/12/2019 at 00:39, Booty003 said:

Keep going bud, will be stunning when completed:

It’s absolutely brilliant, thank you for sharing your Vigilante here! 👏

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I attempted to build that kit and it beat me. Needless to say, I'm very impressed with the progress being made on this model. Keep up the great work.  By the way, the look on the cat's face seemed to say, "You actually gonna build this thing?"  😄

• Haha 1

On 11/03/2020 at 02:09, Alan P said:

Any updates with this, Nikolay? :rolleyes:

Thank you for interest, Alan! 🙂 Nope, there’s no progress on the Vigilante (as with the other kits, too), because I decided to record an album and take a small break from modelling. Also I’m not having fun with this kit anymore - some time ago I attempted to rescribe some panel lines and had unsatisfying results... The good news is that I have some mojo to writing the music again, but the bad news is that it’s having the same scenario as a builds. OK, instead of a scriber I bought the Tamiya’s Fine Craft Saws - hope it helps (ah, I’m not tested it yet!).

On 11/03/2020 at 05:21, SAT69 said:

I attempted to build that kit and it beat me.

After your words I need another attempt to win the game!

Needless to say, I'm very impressed with the progress being made on this model. Keep up the great work.

Thank you, I hope I’ll return to this kit one day... 😬

By the way, the look on the cat's face seemed to say, "You actually gonna build this thing?"  😄

Looks like he was right. 😹 But I need to build it and gave the box to my Little Black Friend!

Thank you, guys! 🤝

• Like 5

• 4 months later...

So,

the Rivet Maker did its job and the largest Rivet Space D was absolutely suitable for it:

50169468266_d7195f3ac7_k.jpg

On 29/07/2020 at 10:04, Serkan Sen said:

I had bought this tool several years ago but haven't tried yet.

There’s a few simple steps: select a suitable Rivet Space, take an alignment guide (I did it with a thin metal ruler, but the plastic self-adhesive tape will be much better) and run! The only problem is a pressure that needed to achieve a great results, so now the Vigilante’s spine has a small crackle... 😼 Maybe it’s all about the plastic.

Anyway, the rivets looks rounded and uniform - that’s what it supposed to be.

Thanks for looking! 🙃

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Very nice result for the first time Nikolay. It is hard to identify which one you did with riveting tool. Did you make any practice on plastic sheet or spare parts or directly go with the Vigilante?

Serkan

Edited by Serkan Sen
  • Thanks 1

Took another look at this work in progress. The cockpit is lovely. The split at the top of the fuselage between the cockpits was what did me in on my build and you've overcome that very well. You've made great progress so please stay on it. 

• Thanks 1

On 01/08/2020 at 01:18, Serkan Sen said:

Very nice result for the first time Nikolay.

Thank you Serkan! 🙂

It is hard to identify which one you did with riveting tool.

Actually, it was a very subtle restoration job - not the one with the full re-riveting.

Did you make any practice on plastic sheet or spare parts or directly go with the Vigilante?

No Serkan, I rarely do any trials just because I called all my builds «tests»... 😜 I just go directly.

On 01/08/2020 at 04:08, SAT69 said:

The cockpit is lovely.

Thank you! 🤝

The split at the top of the fuselage between the cockpits was what did me in on my build and you've overcome that very well.

It was just OK before the end of the last week, when I have some paint left in the airbrush (I was painting the cockpits for another builds) - I sprayed a top fuselage centreline to see how the rivets look and find that my Vigi has some troubles with a spine: it’s something like the big sink mark between the cockpit and the fuselage aft... :facepalm: It would be nice if the Trumpeter staff made a fuselage of top and bottom halves instead of left and right!

You've made great progress so please stay on it.

Thank for this kind of words, I’ll finish this build someday.

On 02/08/2020 at 18:45, amos brierley said:

Hello Nikolai, I’ve just found this thread, though not for looking.

Hello Amos! I’m glad that you’re taking a look. 🙂 It’s for a big bird lovers.

On 02/08/2020 at 18:45, amos brierley said:

I’m hoping you’ll keep going with this build.

Sure thing, but now I have something to do with a putty and the slow progress will slow down more.

Thank you, friends! 👍

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Hello, Britmodellers! 👋

As I mentioned before, I sprayed some paint on top of the Vigilante to check the surface quality after riveting :

50647361728_c051aa2b37_k.jpg

The different viewing angles reveal some problems along the fuselage centreline:

50648108066_c2a210076d_k.jpg

Ah, what’s wrong with this kit?! 😾

Well, I will apply some putty and repeat the scribing and riveting processes. Thanks for looking! 😉

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Spookytooth said:

That is some fine rivetting there Nikolay, and I can see the problem.

Thank you Simon, I was hoping that I haven’t any troubles with the surface...

9 minutes ago, Spookytooth said:

I am sure that you will be able to sort it out sir.

I think so! 🙂

• Like 1

Great to see you back working with this! Shame about the sinking in the middle, the 1/48 is even worse, which is why Nautilus made the wooden brace frame for the interior 😬

Keep with it, think of the end result!

Alan

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Alan P said:

Great to see you back working with this!

Just checked the box with a kit today and finding that all went not so bad.

40 minutes ago, Alan P said:

Shame about the sinking in the middle, the 1/48 is even worse, which is why Nautilus made the wooden brace frame for the interior 😬

Yes! I placed some scratch-builded brackets inside and it helped a bit. 😉

• Like 1