Tamiya 1/32 Mosquito & Magic Scale Modelling Lights Sound and Motor kit

Not everyone's cup of tea but I do like my toys and so when I started building this I thought I'd try livening it up when I stumbled upon the Magic Scale Modelling site, specifically this kit: https://www.magicscalemodeling.com/shop/DH-98-Mosquito-Motors-%26-Lights-set-1-32-%26-1-24-p81830358 

6 months elapsed, and I had a lot of help along the way from Richard at Magic Scale Modelling, a lot of it down to my incompetence, and along the way he sent me the prototype of the new control board with the twin sound speakers, and I'm informed this is the first build using it.  In hindsight I should have practiced this on an easier kit like the Revell one first, and realising the vandalism and fettling I needed to do on those beautiful Tamiya engines made me want to cry.  I made lots of mistakes along the way which meant that a few aspects of the kit itself haven't been fully done justice!  One key example is I ended up with the belly doors closed in order to accommodate the control board, but in retrospect doing it again I'd find room in the rear fuse... but then again it's ready for takeoff isn't it, so the doors would be closed anyway!  I'm not happy with the fir of the cowl panels and the props aren't quite true either but by and large I'm happy with it.  I've linked the videos to my Youtube page as I can't seem to share videos from Flickr.  (I know i need to tidy up those wires but I'm waiting for some extensions to hide them underneath my eventual wooden base). I hope you like it.

Q9cZ2gNGT4W5tMJ8OL5zww

BAyAqH6iQqWEq%FCzmZjlg

fullsizeoutput_50d3

Night Mossie

fullsizeoutput_509a

fullsizeoutput_50c0

fullsizeoutput_5133

fullsizeoutput_50bf

fullsizeoutput_50bb

fullsizeoutput_50c1

fullsizeoutput_50cb

fullsizeoutput_50c3

fullsizeoutput_5134

fullsizeoutput_50da

fullsizeoutput_50c5

fullsizeoutput_50d7

PX8XCaVhQZevGqtrCQdKlQ

Edited by Notty
Some night photos!
  • Like 46
  • Thanks 2

Absolutely love this!  I do the same thing, but they're easier methods.  Here are 3 of my dioramas that I motorized, lit, and provided sound effects too.  Let me know if you have any questions.

Click on below:

IMG_0184
IMG_3171
IMG_1081

Edited by CMSCHLOM
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, CMSCHLOM said:

Absolutely love this!  I do the same thing, but they're easier methods.  Here are 3 of my dioramas that I motorized, lit, and provided sound effects too.  Let me know if you have any questions.

Click on below:

Charles, that is some inspirational work there, I particularly love the Bear being intercepted, the Russian rt made my neck hairs stand on end! Love this kind of stuff

• Thanks 1

Thanks Notty, I sent you a quick note how I do this.  Super inexpensive, and a lot of fun.  On page 7 of BM you can see my CH-53D I just built, lit, motorized, with sound.  Base and control box too.  Not difficult at all.  And most importantly, looks great and is fun to do.

• Like 1

What super fun and great modelling. It reminds me of getting the old Monogram P51 “Phantom” Mustang.  How technology has moved on!

Can I point out one small error in the build. As any pilot will tell you the navigator is never seen looking at a map. Playmate of the month maybe but never anything to assist with navigation :D

loved the map myself

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, JohnT said:

What super fun and great modelling. It reminds me of getting the old Monogram P51 “Phantom” Mustang.  How technology has moved on!

Can I point out one small error in the build. As any pilot will tell you the navigator is never seen looking at a map. Playmate of the month maybe but never anything to assist with navigation :D

loved the map myself

Hate to tell you this, but the co-pilot/Nav always has his tactical or 1:200,000 sectional out.  It was considered the most unpardonable sin to be caught using any electronic navigation aids.  We had to navigate throughout central Germany using our 90 knot finger and a map!  And if you had an IP on board, he'd cover the RMI and make you use the standby compass.  Army Avation in the '80s.  The good ol' days.

Edited by CMSCHLOM
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, CMSCHLOM said:

Hate to tell you this, but the co-pilot/Nav always has his tactical or 1:200,000 sectional out.  

Well he has to keep the “driver” pointed in the right direction !  I am sure the banter between pilots and navs hides a pretty deep mutual respect in nearly all cases. 

6 minutes ago, FatFlyHalf said:

The driver and navigator are works of art in themselves.

Completely agree. Even the harness looks suitably “used operationally “

• Like 2

7 hours ago, JohnT said:

Well he has to keep the “driver” pointed in the right direction !  I am sure the banter between pilots and navs hides a pretty deep mutual respect in nearly all cases. 

Completely agree. Even the harness looks suitably “used operationally “

My favorite question to ask a new pilot who was doing the navigating, "Where are we?"  The worst kind of response............"Ummmm.........cricket...........cricket.......cricket."

• Haha 1