Caesar Miniatures 1/72 Mid-East Militia Figures Set 101

Uncle Dick

Noticed Hannants and other UK retailers have pulled this new release off their shelves - presume sent back to manufacturer after the Daily Mail article

For a review of the set see the following link http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=2647

The offensive figures being on 3rd row of link (execution scene man kneeling & executioner with knife)  

I think this may be the first set of plastic model figures ever pulled from sale?

As much as I can understand the feelings of the family that started the outcry, it would be a very bad sign if retailers had pulled this set from sale. There have been figure sets depicting persons dying in a variety of ways over the years, yet none of these was ever pulled off the market. If this set is pulled from sale, then what next ? As modellers we almost always have to deal with subjects that have caused sorrow, should a similar trend take off we may see many more limitations to what can and can not be sold

My personal take on this is like this -

By nature , our hobby involves controversial subjects . We often depict machines belonging to regimes and battalions that participated in war crimes - heck , virtually every machine we build is a machine that was used to kill someone . 

So are we to say there is not limit our boundary for expressing ourselves ?

I would say there is - we have seen countless diorama involving King tigers with SS markings  ; but no one in their right mind will build one depicting a Tiger surrounded by burnt village huts or bodies . Similarly , I think there exists enough leeway to depict Taliban or ISIS in dio settings , but no one would appreciate it if it involved an executioner standing over a victim . That is a disgusting sight , irrespective of the culpability of the victim or the supposed righteousness of the executioner ( I mean , surely none of found those leaked images from Iraqi prison run by the USA tolerable either). 

Lest we forget , we also have teenagers involved in this hobby and they can do without being exposed to that . 

• Like 2