Best P-38 in 1/72?

Andre B

45 minutes ago, Vesa Jussila said:

Sad thing was that I had this RS Models kit in a past, but box was lost in last move. I should have been more careful. And I think St. Exupery's plane in last flight was F-5B-1-LO version. For that RS Model's kit is not good starting point.

Yes, you are correct, but you could always do either his F5B or his F5A. The F5B would be the easiest conversion, using either the Hasegawa or Academy P-38J. The camera windows are all flat and the ones underneath are very easy to do, after filing a flat stepped lower panel on the underside of the nose- just fill the gunports and case ejector chutes, remove the gunsight,  and you're home free! I did an F5B a long, long time ago using the Frog kit, which was the best one available back when the earth was still cooling, and I was still building! Good luck on your project, Vesa!

Mike

1 hour ago, 72modeler said:

Tony LeVier's Lightning, perhaps?

Mike

Perhaps, I still have to match the Academy kit type to my long list of the candidates in... my folder 😄, and evaluate how far I need or want to go to adapt the kit to a specific project (hopefully nothing more than demilitarize it, if possible).

Needless to say, being the P-38 a bonga-bonga plane, I know diddle about it, so I have to do my homework, but for years I have been gathering photos of the civil post-war machines that I deemed attractive for one reason or another. There was even one that ended (never better said) up in Argentina!, LV-HIX (Ex CF-JJA).

1 hour ago, Moa said:

Perhaps, I still have to match the Academy kit type to my long list of the candidates in... my folder 😄, and evaluate how far I need or want to go to adapt the kit to a specific project (hopefully nothing more than demilitarize it, if possible).

Needless to say, being the P-38 a bonga-bonga plane, I know diddle about it, so I have to do my homework, but for years I have been gathering photos of the civil post-war machines that I deemed attractive for one reason or another. There was even one that ended (never better said) up in Argentina!, LV-HIX (Ex CF-JJA).

I'm sure you  already have these, but just in case....Tony's #3 Lightning would be an easy conversion, as you would just need to fill the gunports and case ejector slots; IIRC all of the panel lines were filled/taped over and a high gloss enamel was painted on. If you used the Hasegawa P-38J kit, your task would be even easier, as all you would have to do is sand down the raised panel lines, versus filling and sanding all of the recessed panel lines on the much more expensive Academy kit. Building and detailing the non-existent wheel bays on the Hasegawa kit would be a snap, as I've seen you do a lot harder things- plus, no potty to scratchbuild! :giggle:

Mike

http://www.airrace.com/1947 NAR .html

plus, no potty to scratchbuild! 

And now you tell me! What's the incentive, then? Besides the panel lines, did they tape their... behinds' panel line?

Shocking!

Nope, this one I haven't visited, as my usual navigation takes me to other shores. THANKS!

Tony's #3 Lightning would be an easy conversion, as you would just need to fill the gunports and case ejector slots; IIRC all of the panel lines were filled/taped over and a high gloss enamel was painted on

Thanks for this valuable tip, which saves me a lot of research and comparison. I will go Academy when I have the chance to do it, as I have the kit (had it for a long, long time, actually). Those panel lines... maybe some priming and sanding, to obscure them a bit, but I clearly see a bunch of them in the photos I have.

Cheers

1 hour ago, Moa said:

And now you tell me! What's the incentive, then? Besides the panel lines, did they tape their... behinds' panel line?

Shocking!

Nope, this one I haven't visited, as my usual navigation takes me to other shores. THANKS!

Thanks for this valuable tip, which saves me a lot of research and comparison. I will go Academy when I have the chance to do it, as I have the kit (had it for a long, long time, actually). Those panel lines... maybe some priming and sanding, to obscure them a bit, but I clearly see a bunch of them in the photos I have.

Cheers

Claudio- I think it was just Tony's P-38 that had all the panels filled; it doesn't look like any of the bare metal or even the other painted P-38's had this done- of course, LeVier's is the most colorful of the lot....decisions, decisions! Stay safe!

Mike

Claudio- I think it was just Tony's P-38 that had all the panels filled; it doesn't look like any of the bare metal or even the other painted P-38's had this done- of course, LeVier's is the most colorful of the lot....decisions, decisions! Stay safe!

Mike

Yes, I was referring to his plane.

Again, on his plane, I can clearly see well-defined panel lines.

Instead of me stepping on Mr. Copyright's toes posting stuff, do a search for his plane, look at the photos, and you will see.

On 11/15/2020 at 7:43 PM, Moa said:

Yes, I was referring to his plane.

Again, on his plane, I can clearly see well-defined panel lines.

Instead of me stepping on Mr. Copyright's toes posting stuff, do a search for his plane, look at the photos, and you will see.

Claudio- I stand corrected regarding LeVier's #3 Lightning! I found a photo of him accepting his P-38 at the Kingman, AZ surplus park- must have been a very low-time a/c, as it was as shiny as could be! I also found a description of the Draw decal sheet which has not only the markings for his Lightning, but a description of the modifications made for racing; gaps between panel lines were NOT filled, but the outer tips of the stabs and superchargers/intercoolers were removed and plated over. The decal sheet is in 1/48, but IIRC Draw do their sheets in both 1/48 and 1/72, and it appears they  have the same sheet in 1/72.  It would save you having to commission a sheet. Sorry for the misinformation, but there were too many prominent panel  lines visible in the photos after I went back and looked at them again, Ma Mea culpa, mea ultima culpa! :sorry:   (P.S. I have used their decals and they are excellent and appear to be well-researched.)

Mike

https://www.shopdrawdecal.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=48-P38-1

Edited by 72modeler
corrected spelling
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, 72modeler said:

but IIRC Draw do their sheets in both 1/48 and 1/72,

Yesterday, after you mentioned LeVier's plane, and I confirmed that I had selected it and was part of the photos in my folder, I ordered one. I am waiting confirmation as the site went into a glitch, most likely my fault.

I blame you for this upcoming build.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Moa said:

Yesterday, after you mentioned LeVier's plane, and I confirmed that I had selected it and was part of the photos in my folder, I ordered one. I am waiting confirmation as the site went into a glitch, most likely my fault.

I blame you for this upcoming build.

At least you're building! I need to get off my bum and finish  something! (Getting so much flak from my fellow modelers and partners in crime from both sides of the pond to quit playing around with discussions on BM and build something, fer cryin' out loud! I almost hate to admit this, but the last kit I was playing with was the Frog Westland Wallace PV! You have indeed been a bad influence on my modeling choices! :giggle:)

Mike

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...
56 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

Dragon.  However the kit transparent nose lacks part of aircraft transparency.

The Dragon kit is missing the windows shown by the "X" below (the lines just show  the actual window shape, as the light from the window on the other side obscures it's shape) for the decals in the kit "Bomba-Dear":

spacer.png

Also, the kit box top shows two additional windows that alternatively appeared on some other "droop snoots", but not on "Bomba-Dear".   The were even more window locations/shapes added to others  in the field.  This is one of those aircraft that you just gotta check pictures to be sure!

I have often though of casting a new clear resin nose to fix this, but then I'd have to build the nose interior through the back end of that nose, and the nose on a P-38 is not very big,  not to mention the drop-down door for the bombardier's access!

Ed

• 2 weeks later...

What about accuracy of

http://fighters.forumactif.com/t64852-revell-p-38f-f-4c-lightning  ?

According to 

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/revell-h-216-lockheed-p-38-f-f-4c-lightning--311341

is the same kit with different parts to J/M version of Revell 

To me looks far better than Airfix (have it - lot of work) - cabin, gondolas bulbous coolers(inner is the same thing with far newer kits),

but have same mistake as Airfix - main wheels covers are angled not hanged (90° angle?).

• 1 month later...

I have also pondered "which 1/72 P-38" for some time and decided to grab an Italeri (reboxed Academy) P-38J seeing how fast they disappear from the shelves. It came in yesterday together with an Eduard PE fret for the pit. It looks real nice with sharp details and finely engraved panel lines, no flash or sink marks I could see.. Nice decals too for 4 schemes ( with color profiles printed in the instructions booklet): 2 bare metal (one with invasion stripes), one olive drab over grey and one blue over black. IMHO I'd put it on par with something like Tamiya 1/72 Mossie.

• Like 1