1/72 Canadian CH-113A Rescue / Sauvetage FINISHED!!

spruecutter

On 1 May 2019 at 4:27 PM, modelling minion said:

Not too far up the list Richard, I'm a bit busy at the minute on other Tornado shaped things!

At my build rate, there no danger of me starting the Bf-110 before you  finish your Tornado!

• Haha 1

Well, thank goodness for a Bank Holiday weekend! The perfect opportunity to do a bit more on my build - in between the usual household stuff including work in the garden and a 4 hour stint at the allotment. I haven't been to our plot since October so it was definitely looking a bit rough around the edges...

Anyway, Saturday saw me do the masking and put on a coat of primer.

47739348362_c64e8046b5_k.jpgIMG_3902 by Richard Coombe, on Flickr

Today, Monday, I was able to spray the yellow. I did like the way Mr Color sprayed - and it dried nice and fast.

47739350942_fe34eb0d32_k.jpgIMG_3904 by Richard Coombe, on Flickr

The one thing that made me go Grrr (or words to that effect) was the re-appearance of the underside seam. It seemed perfect under the primer but it was unmistakeable once the Gloss yellow had been applied. Very annoying!! Not sure if it's the solvent - I have had that happen before when using Alclad. 

47739353902_21bcfc4acf_k.jpgIMG_3905 by Richard Coombe, on Flickr

Anyway, back out with the sanding stick and it's now smooth to the finger. I will give it another coat of yellow tomorrow. It's also an opportunity to build up the colour so that it's even all over. 

46875208535_e47b6358aa_k.jpgIMG_3906 by Richard Coombe, on Flickr

I also found some time over the weekend to work on the base. As it's a Canadian machine, I thought it would be good to have it standing on the ground with a light dusting of snow. Easier to do than a waterscape - there are some amazing pictures in Googleland of Labradors landing in the water when undertaking SAR missions. 

40825318003_30cd7e09b5_k.jpgIMG_3903 by Richard Coombe, on Flickr

Cheers

Richard

• Like 4

Very nice, and very bright, work Richard.

I know what you mean about that bottom seam, it really can be a pain but it looks like you've got it sorted.

I like the idea of the snowy landscape, at this rate we could have an entire club display on snow. Now there's an idea!

• Like 1

On 5/15/2019 at 9:13 PM, wimbledon99 said:

Nice job with the yellow. Not the easiest colour to apply but looks like you've aced it!!

You are right there, WImbledon99, about applying yellow. It has all the covering power of a naughty negligée and is as unforgiving as silver! Even after doing a further coat, a hint of a seam was still there, almost as a shadow. In the end I resorted to Micromesh which seemed to help. At some point with a model I think "Good enough is good enough" and it's on the underside anyway...

47883674131_8c0d3c7051_k.jpgIMG_3907 by Richard Coombe, on Flickr

• Like 3

Anyway, with the frustration of the underside seam out the way, I cracked on with the red and the black. I was taking no chances with overspray!

46967592305_c2f959bf6f_k.jpgIMG_3911 by Richard Coombe, on Flickr

Not looking too bad - thankfully no seepage of paint under the masking tape.

46967597485_7a6bff5f95_k.jpgIMG_3912 by Richard Coombe, on Flickr

I then realised I had masked off the black area incorrectly. I misinterpreted the drawing on the decal sheet - I should have checked my photos on the laptop, Or gone to Specsavers??!!

Nonetheless, a mistake that was easily corrected.

47094339334_450f3627f0_k.jpgIMG_3913 by Richard Coombe, on Flickr

This allowed me to crack on with the decals. The long stripe was a pain to apply, not helped by the fragility of the decals. 

47883694101_ec3d9f8e61_k.jpgIMG_3914 by Richard Coombe, on Flickr

My goal this weekend was to get the decals on. It's looking very bright and shiny at the moment so next job is a panel wash and a coat of matt/satin varnish to tone it down,

Cheers

Richard

• Like 6

On 5/20/2019 at 2:42 PM, CliffB said:

This is looking very sharp Richard and you've done a great job keeping those stripes straight over the 'lumps' :thumbsup2:

I was a bit worried, Cliff, about how to get the stripes to flow over the bumps. In the end I decided to cut the decal up to the bump and allow it to dry. I then laid a small piece of the striping over the bump and did my best to blend the small piece back in with the main piece. It's not 100% perfect if you look really close up but good enough at normal viewing distance. I think it would be nigh on impossible to do it in one straight run. 

• Like 3

On 5/22/2019 at 8:30 PM, modelling minion said:

I think it looks very good Richard and your idea has worked well.

Any chance she will drop in to the club meeting on Friday?

Fingers crossed! Doing the finishing touches now - trying to get the angle right on the "Madonna conical bra" bit is proving a tad frustrating!! 😬. I will white glue them and see what you think.

• Like 2

Well, I finally got to the end point. Here are a few pics of the finishing stages and the final reveal.

Having done the shiny yellow, the next step was to do a Flory Wash - Dark Dirt is my favourite. I really like this product as it has no impact on a gloss surface. You just need to slap it on. Looking a bit rough here...

47928567026_94c487d9c1_k.jpgIMG_3915 by Richard Coombe, on Flickr

After letting it dry, a quick wipe down with a moist piece of kitchen towel and some cotton buds makes it look a lot more presentable. I then toned down the shine with a light spray of Alclad Semi-Matt Varnish. The gloss finish would look great on a 1/32nd model but would be too much for 1/72nd IMO. The photos I found in GoogleLand also showed a variety of Labrador finishes - from gloss to matt.

47928583001_54849da41d_k.jpgIMG_3916[1] by Richard Coombe, on Flickr

Next stage was all the fiddly bits: removing the masking, tidying up the canopy frames, fitting the undercarriage, installing Madonna's conical bra, adding the blades. It's always surprising how long the last little bits take. Anyway, I got it done - literally an hour before our Friday model club meeting (IPMS Mercia). Here she is:

47928577702_5cbb3c49ac_k.jpgIMG_3918 by Richard Coombe, on Flickr

As it was a nice day today, I took the opportunity to take a few photos in natural light:

47928588903_d9f969604e_k.jpgIMG_3924 by Richard Coombe, on Flickr

47928593058_0bb01d1cd8_k.jpgIMG_3926 by Richard Coombe, on Flickr

47928607021_aa710dfb47_k.jpgIMG_3923 by Richard Coombe, on Flickr

47928614423_8db5301b31_k.jpgIMG_3922 by Richard Coombe, on Flickr

Cheers

Richard

• Like 5

• spruecutter changed the title to 1/72 Canadian CH-113A Rescue / Sauvetage FINISHED!!

Very well done Richard she looks excellent.

Nice to be able to take pics in daylight, it makes a difference and shows off the colours nicely.

The wash worked very well and I think you're right about the finish as gloss would not have looked right.

Well done mate, and your first GB too! Feel free to sign up for more :) .

And don't forget to put some pics in the gallery!

Edited by modelling minion
  • Like 1

That is an extremely fine looking model. All Canadian's would be proud of that and as my grandad was born in Winnipeg, Manitoba I count myself in that number. 

• Like 2