1/72 Canadian CH-113A Rescue / Sauvetage FINISHED!!

spruecutter

Hi everyone

A bit late to the party, I know but I am finally getting going on with my build for this STGB.

My plan is to use the Fujimi KV-107 kit to do an early CH-113. I managed to track down a photo of a Canadian CH-113A prior to the 1981 refit i.e. before the additions of the nose-mounted radar, the 'top hat' exhausts and the Auxiliary Power Unit. The photo I found also shows the CH-113 with the large sponsons - different to the pictures in the PrintScale sheet. That simplifies the build giving me a fighting chance to finish by the deadline!

According to the PrintScale sheet, the yellow is FS 13538 Golden Yellow. I managed to get hold of a pot of Mr Color C329 which carries that FS designation. I will be interested to see how the paint sprays as it is lacquer-based.

Anyway, here's proof that have opened the box and made a start:

46704407294_4407bf3ed5_b.jpgIMG_3784 by Richard Coombe, on Flickr

All the best for now

Richard C

• Like 5

That is a most attractive scheme you have there and Mr Color are my go to paints so I don't think you should have too many problems with them, they are quite forgiving. A good coat of white primer should see you right.

• 2 weeks later...

A bit more progress this week. Sometimes I manage to squeeze in half an hour at the workbench before I go off to work. I actually find it's quite an effective way of psyching myself up for the work-day ahead.

I will post some pictures at the weekend to prove there is some movement in my rotor blades 😁

Richard

• Like 2

Well, some minor progress over the weekend - here is the all-important photo evidence. 

Interior work completed:

47609836321_2df0903d26_h.jpgFRX 049 by Richard Coombe, on Flickr

Other parts in the process of being prepped:

46694104765_b9362f0f91_h.jpgFRX 050 by Richard Coombe, on Flickr

I used a black Sharpie to do some window seals. I am thinking about spraying the yellow around the windows with paint brush handles as temporary masks, then blending it all together once the fuselage halves are joined. 

40643220113_c5edd07eb1_h.jpgFRX 051 by Richard Coombe, on Flickr

Cheers

Richard

• Like 6

On 4/15/2019 at 6:52 PM, modelling minion said:

Great to see some more progress Richard.

I think your idea about painting the window area first is a very good one and will save some tricky masking later.

The instrument panel looks particularly good, is it a mix of decal and paint?

The instruments are just the kit decals. They were a bit thick but luckily I have a bottle of Solvaset from the 1980s. This is good at pummelling any rigid decals into submission. I only bring it out when special measures are needed. I wouldn’t risk it on a modern thin decal - it would probably melt it! There again, maybe I should do an experiment with something I can afford to lose? It could give a very painted on look. I just remember that horrible experience with my desert Spitfire where, after applying some Microsol,  the decals stuck limpet-like to the surface before I could move them into place...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A bit more progress to report. I primed around the window area using pencil stubs to prevent spray into the interior. I know it's light grey inside but I wanted to protect the black window seals that I had done with a Sharpie.

47715563001_1d123a83d0_b.jpgIMG_3872 by Richard Coombe, on Flickr

On with a coat of yellow. Very impressed with the way the Mr.Color sprayed - nice smooth finish.

47715568821_49c9675291_b.jpgIMG_3873 by Richard Coombe, on Flickr

Fuselage halves joined and now checking my seam work with the dreaded Silver Paint challenge. That is the acid test...

47715573471_90bb271d93_b.jpgIMG_3875 by Richard Coombe, on Flickr

Recognition that there is a bit more sanding to do but almost there

47715574711_37111b5160_b.jpgIMG_3876 by Richard Coombe, on Flickr

I won't probably get much done tomorrow. It's Milton Keynes model show and I am setting off early. At least the roads will be nice and clear.

Cheers

Richard

• Like 4

On 4/28/2019 at 8:20 PM, modelling minion said:

Great progress on your Labrador Richard.

That yellow looks like an excellent match to the real aircraft and certainly looks like it has gone on very nicely.

It was a great day at Milton Keynes today wasn't it.

Yep, a good day was had by all and great to see your KV-107 in the flesh/plastic/paint. A very attractive addition to the IPMS Mercia table:

47736382071_433240d361_b.jpgIMG_3892 by Richard Coombe, on Flickr

You also managed to come away with some real bargains - those Helldivers were a steal!

• Like 3

Sneaky bugger! You must have taken that when I was out snagging bargains, such as those Helldivers which is the cheapest I've ever seen them for. Your BF-110 was a good price too and I'm looking forward to seeing it in it's African colour scheme, maybe we can build ours simultaneously?

• Haha 1