Eduard Bf 109F-4 1/48 - A build of many firsts!

After recently returning to the hobby after a very long break I jumped straight in feet first with an aircraft I never managed to make during my childhood, a Messerschmitt Bf 109. This has turned out as a build of many firsts for me, mainly:

• First model but for 33 years.
  • First time building anything from the German Luftwaffe.
  • First time using acrylic paints.
  • First time airbrushing.
  • First time using PE.
  • First time I have applied weathering.
  • Probably the first time I have publicly shown anything I have built.

The aircraft was flown by Oblt. Frank Liesendahl 0f 10.(Jabo) Staffel/JG 2. I chose this as it had a mottled camo scheme that would not be too difficult to replicate for my first attempt. As far as the kit was concerned, it went together really well, very impressed with the detailing of the Eduard kits and a big improvement over the kits I used to make.

My greatest achievement while building this, is that I never managed to break the pitot off once (although I did manage to break the antennae mount from the tail). The oil cooler flaps didn't seem to want to sit right and the canopy seems a little narrow but it will do for me as a first attempt.

I used Vallejo Air acrylics, Flory washes and AK pigments. The weathering is perhaps a little heavy, however considering the amount of action it saw I am quite happy with it.

I have learnt a great deal from this forum and hope I can one day contribute as much as others to its pages, maybe even a WIP next?

bf109-9.jpg

bf109-1.jpg

bf109-2.jpg

bf109-4.jpg

bf109-5.jpg

bf109-6.jpg

bf109-7.jpg

bf109-8.jpg

bf109-9.jpg

• Like 33

Not a bad effort for a lot of firsts! A pretty decent attempt at mottling which catches a lot of people out. Keep up the good work!

Cheers

Malcolm

• Like 1

That's a great build. Liesendahl was credited with changing the previously reluctant attitude of Jagdwaffe fighter pilots towards the idea that their nimble a/c could be effectively used in surprise pinpoint Jabo strikes against predominantly coastal targets in Britain from 1941 onwards. The British defense structure was ill-equipped to deal with these relatively small attacks which had an altogether disproportionate effect in relation to the losses that the Jagdwaffe suffered. Liesendahl developed his own particular approach to dropping bombs accurately and lost his life during onne of these attacks in the Portland area, a victim of the eventual well-rehearsed AA defences that were developed to counter partially the effectiveness of these surprise attacks undertaken by JG 2 in the western Channel and JG 26 in the Dover Straits. 

A great re-entry to the modelling fraternity. I suspect you're potentaially infected by the modelling bug again, Well done. Paul

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For your first model since coming back, that's very impressive - Talk about diving in at the deep end - an eduard kit (not the easiest place to start:) Plus airbrushing - quite amazing really - you seem to have nailed the mottling effect - something that I really struggle with. You'll just get better and better from here out. 

• Like 1

Thanks for all your kind words and support, much appreciated.

10 hours ago, Pauls9cb said:

That's a great build. Liesendahl was credited with changing the previously reluctant attitude of Jagdwaffe fighter pilots towards the idea that their nimble a/c could be effectively used in surprise pinpoint Jabo strikes against predominantly coastal targets in Britain from 1941 onwards. The British defense structure was ill-equipped to deal with these relatively small attacks which had an altogether disproportionate effect in relation to the losses that the Jagdwaffe suffered. Liesendahl developed his own particular approach to dropping bombs accurately and lost his life during onne of these attacks in the Portland area, a victim of the eventual well-rehearsed AA defences that were developed to counter partially the effectiveness of these surprise attacks undertaken by JG 2 in the western Channel and JG 26 in the Dover Straits. 

A great re-entry to the modelling fraternity. I suspect you're potentaially infected by the modelling bug again, Well done. Paul

Thank you for the additional background on this Paul, I have a few books on the Jagdwaffe but not the one covering 1941-1942.

There's a great book on German fighter-bomber operations during WW2 by Chris Goss - Luftwaffe Fighter-Bombers over Britain (ISBN 0-947554-97-1), in which Frank Liesendahl figures quite prominently. It's well researched and very readable for anyone interested in the subject, particularly the so-call Tip and Run campaign during 1942/43. Well worth a look. Paul

• Like 1

I restarted over 10y ago and if I built that now I’d be feeling very happy! Superb standard, your weathering is spot on. Looking forward to your next builds

• Like 1