US Interior Green

Evil_Toast_RSA

Building a A-7 Corsair II at the minute, and hit a razor blade in the candy floss of life.

The avionics bays are noted to be Interior Green (Gunze 58/27). I bought some Vallejo Zinc Chromate Green (71 094) but looking at it, it's too bright and green, I think. Any tips on mixing up a batch (using yellow I'm guessing) or if Tamiya XF-4 would be a good match? 

Thanks! 

I think Tamiya XF-4 is too green, myself. Just add some black to yellow a bit at a time until you get the shade you want. Interior Green is nominally FS 34151, but can vary widely.

To quote one anonymous author on another forum: "The interior skin and structural parts of all aircraft, from T-6 trainers of WW II, to B-2 bombers today and every aircraft in between, is coated with stuff to prevent corrosion. For most of the last 60 years, that has been a coating that is tinted with green pigment. There are almost as many shades of that green, ranging from a mostly yellow color, to bright green, to dark green, to clear greenish-blue, which is the modern coating, as their are types of airplane. Take your pick. But the unfailing bottom line answer to this question is, find photos of your subject, check the color of the interior coating, and mix your paint, or if you're lucky, buy the right color off the shelf."

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Space Ranger said:

For most of the last 60 years, that has been a coating that is tinted with green pigment.

I'd say black, not green. The base primer is/was zinc chromate which is yellow, adding black gives a green colour, the shade being dependant on the quantity of pigment added.

5 hours ago, Dave Swindell said:

I'd say black, not green. The base primer is/was zinc chromate which is yellow, adding black gives a green colour, the shade being dependant on the quantity of pigment added.

Yes, you are correct. The person I quoted was not correct in that regard. That's why I suggested adding black to yellow.

• Like 1