NASHORN 'PACHYDERM PACKS A PUNCH' PzIV STGB

NASHORN

TAMIYA 1/35th

FRIULMODEL 'WINTERKETTEN' TRACKS.

TAMIYA BRASS 88mm SHELLS FOR KING TIGER

PZ IV STGB ENTRY 'PACHYDERM PACKS A PUNCH'

The WIP *(Be warned, it's quite long!) can be found here:

This is my second attempt at a Nashorn - the first having reached a similar stage, but then deciding to fall apart whilst I was rinsing bicarb/hair lacquer 'snow' off the thing!

Whereas previously I've used chipping fluid to aid the chipping, fading and general worn appearance of the whitewash, here I've used nowt - the whitewash consisting of many, many layers of white acrylic ink which were each 'rubbed back' with a dry, damp, or sometimes wet, stiff brush.

Here, I also had a bash at AM tracks - primarily because there was the option for Winterketten - the wider tracks making the Nashorn look even more beastly than the usual narrow ones.

I was slightly apprehensive about forking out that amount of dosh for tracks that apparently drive some people insane with boredom, but once I had sussed out my methodology for joining the links, the initial slow progress was overcome and construction not only accelerated, but became very easy. In fact, I constructed the tracks whilst watching TV.

Nassy isn't finished here BTW. I refrained from adding mud and snow in  anything other than a token measure, because I plan for it to feature in a diorama, and until the mud colour and consistency is sorted for the diorama, I can't add any to Nassy. There are also a few bits of kit and stowage that I want to add, and of course, the crew figures. Whilst the crew figures were completed to some 'reasonable standard' for the gallery photos, I ended up not using those photos.

BTW, the photos were posted to the gallery with 5 mins until the deadline, and were taken under fluorescent light. Oddly, some of the camo colours haven't been picked up by the lens (the greens especially) I will take photos in daylight and post them here at a future date.

Oh, and there's errant snowflakes stuck to Nassy here and there - snowflakes that should have been brushed off after I tipped out a 'bed' for the Nassy to sit on for photographic purposes. That snow can be seen in the last group of shots with the crew in place.

4bbU1WR.jpg

Z0f3m3W.jpg

dTn0xcm.jpg

lbw9Qvm.jpg

UvJJAYh.jpg

Z9nLwqH.jpg

gNtd4sc.jpg

f5LwML1.jpg

eiCQ11n.jpg

MBGKmON.jpg

iZPS1uO.jpg

JOepLMU.jpg

avhzNBI.jpg

DBYKJNc.jpg

With snow and crew - all temporarily added for photographic purposes.

0TwyjlF.jpg

DcQu6OZ.jpg

The crew were rushed to meet the deadline - hence the commander's glossy yellow/orange hand. Still - better than having a 'pointy-finger[ man...... ahem......

3DJdkzP.jpg

TFL

Better photos to follow at some point.

Rearguards,

Badder

ps. A final big thanks to @Ozzy  for the 'swap'.

Edited by Badder
  • Like 23

6 hours ago, bigfoot said:

The finished product is fantastic badder. Your layers of weathering add a lot of depth to the finish.

Hi Bigfoot, LTNC

Thanks for the 'like'.

I didn't mention at the top, but the whitewash was done with Daler and Rowney Acrylic Inks, either neat or diluted with water. They are supposed to dry 'water-resistant' but I found they can be re-activated with water and a stiff brush,  At certain points in time I'd add a whole new layer of whitewash and then remove nearly all of it in certain places, whilst leaving some of it untouched. When I finally had something I was happy with, I added streaks using a splayed stiff brush with barely any bristles then applied water to make the streaks run.   It was all a bithit and miss TBH - sometimes I'd have a finish I was happy with and then spoil it, then have to recapture what I'd messed up. But I always knew that this was all part of the technique - multiple layers until the desired effect is achieved - and not necessarily at the first attempt! You would not believe how many 'layers' there are!

Rearguards,

Badder

5 hours ago, Hairtrigger said:

Oh yes that you have really nailed.  I especially like the dio shots with the crew.    

Hi Hairtrigger,

Thanks for that. It's certainly better than my first Nashorn, which is probably 6ft down in some landfill site somewhere.

The 'dio shots' though aren't of an actual diorama. That's just loose snow on a piece of white paper and a bunch of twigs stuck in place with Blu-Tac. Meanwhile, the crew were rushed to meet the deadline, and aren't very good. They will be replaced by better ones in the future.

Reargurds,

Badder

• Haha 1

First class job all round. 

I tried a similar method for the winter whitewash using artist’s gouache. Tried to replicate the field applied look & was reasonably pleased with the result. 

Pete

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Very nice Rhino Badder, and well weathered.

John.

Thanks John.

The weathered whitewash was my main area of focus. I think I'd do it slightly differently next time and that would be to slip in a coat of varnish in between some of the layers- not all of them, but some.

Rearguards,

Badder

19 minutes ago, Buzby061 said:

First class job all round. 

I tried a similar method for the winter whitewash using artist’s gouache. Tried to replicate the field applied look & was reasonably pleased with the result. 

Pete

Thanks Pete,

Do you have a link to pics? I'd be interested to see the effect you got.

Rearguards,

Badder

17 minutes ago, Soeren said:

Glad spring time is starting. Your pics make me feel freezing cold. Stellar job :thumbsup:

Thanks Soeren,

Much appreciated. Sorry, but no DAK Panzers or Half-tracks in the pipeline, only more winter ones!

Rearguards,

Badder

16 hours ago, Badder said:

Thanks Pete,

Do you have a link to pics? I'd be interested to see the effect you got.

Rearguards,

Badder

Link as requested.

Cheers,

Pete

• Thanks 1

Hi Badder. Hope you are well.

I'm sure you are already aware that I think this is awesome!! Great modelling as always!! Superbly creative modelling.  :worthy::worthy::worthy:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 11:59 AM, FrancisGL said:

Despite all the problems and lack of time, you have achieved a great result, perhaps with more time, add more details or profiles some others, more to your liking. :goodjob:

Cheers Badder 👍

Hi Francis,

Yes, Nassy will get some stowage added, plus mud and snow on the tracks when she goes into a diorama. I didn't want to add mud/snow until then. I'm nowhere near as quick as you in muddying/leafing up my AFVs or making fantastic dioramas!

Rearguards,

Badder

33 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Badder. Hope you are well.

I'm sure you are already aware that I think this is awesome!! Great modelling as always!! Superbly creative modelling.  :worthy::worthy::worthy:

Kind regards,

Stix

Hi Stix,

Of course I am aware. And I'm very humbled!

I wouldn't agree that my modelling is great 'as always' though. In fact I've binned/broken up all of my previous models except the Sherman, Willys Jeep, Universal Carrier and Quad with 24pdr - the latter two only just managing to stay on the shelf. But as I said somewhere recently, I do feel as though I've made a sudden and large leap in the hobby - producing stuff that I can't believe I'm producing. Still, I'm overdue a disaster methinks!

Rearguards,

Badder

4 hours ago, bazer said:

Great work on detail  and whitewash brill.will make a note of how you applied it.

Thanks Bazer,

If you have any questions feel free to ask, but I think the 'how to' (or the 'how to make a long job of it) is all there in the PzIV STGB thread.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Kris B said:

Super winter camo. So many variations of colour. Good job. 

Thanks Kris.

I used MIG's '1945 Late German Set' for War gamers for the underlying camo pattern - although that ended up being a right hotch-potch mess as I was using it more as a practice than anything else. It didn't matter of course, because the whitewash was going to cover all of it, for some time anyway. I then rubbed back some areas to expose the colours underneath and then applied more whitewash - sometimes in streaks, sometimes as a wash.  I repeated this process 20 times or more. Inevitably, there were a few 'rubbed back' areas which didn't show the colour I wanted and spoiled the 'balance' of colour (because of the hotch-potch mess I made of the camo) For instance, the fighting compartment LH side panel was lacking in any green. So I simply applied a coat of the green MIG acrylic to the patch concerned and set about whitewashing/rubbing back that area again. In the same way I added red brown and green to the gun mantlet, and dunkelgelb to the gun barrel. The final act was to add streaks to the whitewash. This was either done with neat white ink, or with a wet brush which reactivated the existing whitewash.

Rearguards,

Badder

24 minutes ago, Hewy said:

All round splendid job badder, lovely detail painting, and a thoroughly entertaining journey with the build thread , I look forward to the next time

Thanks Glynn,

Much appreciated. I have been very humbled, again!

I didn't realise that this GB's poll would be broken down into 3 sections, but I'm classing the 1/35th section as the most important. 🙂 I refer to the comments I made early on in your thread, about how your Minutemunchyslipperslapper was going to 'win the trophy' and that will be the case barring a last minute rush of Nashorn fans whom I've, as yet, been unable to rally together.

Rearguards,

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Badder said:

I didn't realise that this GB's poll would be broken down into 3 sections, but I'm classing the 1/35th section as the most important

....and that's exactly the reason I split the poll the way I did! There's a lot of amazing modelling goes on in the smaller scales that would get overlooked by those that only model in the larger scales. I know you are only joking but I wanted to make sure the smaller scales got equal recognition as the larger ones.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

....and that's exactly the reason I split the poll the way I did! There's a lot of amazing modelling goes on in the smaller scales that would get overlooked by those that only model in the larger scales. I know you are only joking but I wanted to make sure the smaller scales got equal recognition as the larger ones.

Kind regards,

Stix

Hi Stix,

It was a VERY good idea, for the reasons you gave. Yes, I was joking, and I didn't bother with a suitable emoji because I thought it was obviously a joke. I know that you know, that I know, that you know that.

I have the utmost respect for, and am in awe of, those who work in the braille scales, so of course it's great to see the playing field levelled.

BTW I'm always losing small kit parts during my builds, I'd be quite capable of losing an entire tank in the smaller scales!

Rearguards,

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Haha 2

39 minutes ago, Hewy said:

I haven't voted yet so you can count on at least 1 other nashhorn fan when I get round to it

Glynn 

You haven't voted yet? What are you waiting for? Don't vote for my Nashorn though. I wish to donate your vote to one of the 100th scale models of your choice!

40 minutes ago, Hewy said:

I reckon the panzer gb as a whole was the best  yet to participate in, great fun!

Indeed it was. I still giggle over the SS trialling a war-pogo stick!

Rearguards,

Badder

• Haha 1