Clear Resin for River Water

Remodel_Remake

Hi Folks

Just starting a build on Tamiya’s Pibber boat & given that I like a challenge & trying new things was wondering about doing a small diorama of a dirty brown river with just a slight movement to it, as if the boat was just idling slowly.

Would it be sensible to try this with a clear resin poured in shallow layer that are tinted with either pigment or acrylic paint, never tried this before though I’m aware that the curing process generates heat, would this be too much for the plastic hull?

The base would be construction foam with a cut out for the hull & sealed with foam armour (just repackaged pva glue I think), or I’m I as well to just paint the foam a brown/green colour and use some clear acrylic paste to sculpt the water around the hull.

If the resin sounds like a sensible option could anyone recommend a tried & tested brand?

Loads of questions I know but any guiding voices would be greatly appreciated.

cheers

euan

Afternoon Euan and :post1:

To answer your question DON'T pour clear resin around the hull, as it WILL distort / destroy it, due to, as you say, the curing process generating heat.

Can remember a Work in Progress with a 48th Tamiya float equiped Swordfish, finished up needing new floats, as the originals were a total loss.

Only suggestion I can make is to cut an accurate outline, this for the width / length and fabricate a sacrificial hull from good quality thin cardboard,

and pour your resin round that.

As to which one, Woodland Scenics is generally available from railway modelling shops, as well as other vendors, and you have a choice of 'still water'

or 'flowing water'.

Hope this is of some use, best of luck, Paul

• 5 months later...

Hi,

I recently did a river crossing dio and found that the resin was ok to pour onto the tank in the scene and didnt cause any distortion or warping but i know some really can so would suggest a test piece first. In regards to the colouring i used artist ink a drop at a time and stired it and added more if needed. I made sure to completley drench my foam base in plaster then tonnes of PVA as resins can melt foam. The side barriers are important too if you want to see under the water, i only used tape and it buldged out and in hindsight i wish id used some perspex.

Hope that helps

Dniester River Crossing 1/35th

• Like 3