NZ Tour 2019 Pt.3- Omaka

Paul J

No Lodestar or Lexington /Ventura on view at any of the places I went to unfortunately.

Some more pics but of OMAKA :

OhhzCL.jpg

Outside at Omak museum airworthy pleasure flying DC-3/C-47
CiBG2l.jpg

Pleaure flying Stearman 3 seater!! Two up front and the pilot behind! ZK-KJO. Not sure whats going on with the upper wing centre section... looked rough to me...
CClOKG.jpg

A coupleof Nanchang CJ-6
shtu9Q.jpg

B64nZc.jpg

Interesting mix in the only open hangar. Fleet Finch at right, Argus to the left, Aeronca in middle in yellow, A Niueport just visible and a wing that looks like it belongs to a glider. Hanging from the ceiling what looks like a Jenny. Not sure though.
 xLybSz.jpg

Airco DH-4M The only one around it said on the sign On loan from the USA.
3RaBmn.jpg

ITbWJN.jpg

Bof B airfield hut
465VMb.jpg

RE 8 replica
sajv1I.jpg

Se%a with pilot jumping out. One of the many 1:2 scale dioramas within the building
4n02aK.jpg

In the WW2 section and separate hangar. Airworthy Anson 'K6183'
BAwnaQ.jpg

yEfaqH.jpg

1ks0KR.jpg

Yak ZK-VVS A former reno racer. Now does rides in the bak seat fro $2,500 NZD!
zAywqy.jpg

Nice Ryan. It replace a P-40N that was on show which had to be shipped back to the US for soem legal reason.
7ym6tf.jpg

Curtiss Hawk 75 tail belongs to CU-552, a Finnish one. I understand the rest of it is there somewhere. The swastika is a remnant from when it was captured by the Germans from the French and sold to Finland!
pzs4ht.jpg

arQtAy.jpg

zCpDLM.jpg

Replica Stuka
xfgS68.jpg

1Ok9Ok.jpg

Spit XIV NH799.   Saw this one at Duxford in primer  a very long time ago around the 80's before it went to NZ. I think its the one Tim Wallis crashed in.

I have more of the collection consisting of all the other replicas if you want to see them.

• Like 6

On the flying club of the airfield at Omaka:

aZJYXo.jpg

Another Nanchang ZK-KWI with Airtourer. and a glider.
X0JJIh.jpg

Bristol Freighter ZK-CPT looking looked after well.
c3yXhy.jpg
8SKyGh.jpg

And down the road just past RNZAF Woodbourne / Blenheim airport is the Argosy cafe and... an Argosy!!
xyNrXT.jpg

Ex BEA G-ASXN ZK-SAE
9mcDQh.jpg
kuxRZ1.jpg
nUpzHa.jpg
2lTQS5.jpg
m134ZL.jpg
15c6lj.jpg

Thats it from the South Island.   I do have more including helicopters but they are all As350 Ecuriels in varying schemes.  Next lot of pics will be from the North Island.

• Like 5

OK Then. Some more of the WW1 exhibits...All replicas.   ( a bit like 1:1 scale Wingnut Wings models 🙂 )

5gp3nm.jpg

Not a brilliant pic but the best one of this type. Caproni.
mjHwmn.jpg

eO6RYy.jpg

zcErdF.jpg

DH-2 A flyer apparently.
nOMkUE.jpg

MS type ?
0LvVOh.jpg

plNy7J.jpg

2TZyba.jpg

Intimate view of the underside of the Eindecker.

if4ns8.jpg

bXGrrI.jpg

Thomas Morse. A post war mod to take passengers evidently. Not a lot of it but not a replica.
XDbDr7.jpg

Breguet XIV
Ks5fpy.jpg

RE.8
Qp8Bch.jpg

Curtiss.
W54Aej.jpg

kaO6j3.jpg

bPaowz.jpg

Bruno Stachels Pfalz in@ The Blue Max'
cAS94q.jpg

All flyers! Fokker Dr.1 Four of them!!
JZUnm1.jpg

Kqj7Sh.jpg

Replica Hurricane. Depicting an event involving New Zealand pilot who landed in a garden in London... Sounds familiar... B of B film and Edward Fox crashing in to greenhouse.
b2a9wa.jpg

Anson view. Note the framework to the inside of the windows but not window framiing.
ifDoLl.jpg

Models by POWs. Wonder where Peter Jackson got these and how much.?/!!
G8I2zL.jpg

End of the Red Baron scene.
mvyNT9.jpg

Stick-y end for Nieuport. and the Siemens Schukert victor!
aIkKwL.jpg

Thats it. The above are the better ones I took some of the displays featuring uniforms but are not very good to post here.

Next instalment North Island sightings...

• Like 5

Nice those Paul, I'm due another wander over the hill & visit to Omaka. I like it that adjacent to the End of the Red Baron scene Paul has listed above is a display case with the actual fabric panel cut from his aircraft by an Aussie soldier, as depicted in the scene. I imagine Mr Jackson paid a sizeable lump of cash for that.

Steve.

9 hours ago, Silver Fox said:

Fabulous and I am soooooooooooooooooooooooo jealous. More please.

Not got any more thats worthy posting here of Omaka but possibly a couple of the amazing display cabinets with hundreds of artefacts of the Great War air war: uniforms, bits of aircraft, weapons and so on.

The only thing I was least happy with was the darkness in  the display halls.  Could do with a bit more light.  Mind you I was and am  still getting the hang of my new camera I bought in Blenheim earlier that day.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 3/20/2019 at 9:20 PM, Paul J said:

The only thing I was least happy with was the darkness in  the display halls.  Could do with a bit more light.

Agreed - it’s an amazing exhibit but you do feel you’re missing out on so much detail due to the “dramatic” lighting... spot the modellers 😀Here are some shots I took while visiting at the weekend: 

ExhibitExhibitExhibitExhibitExhibit

Exhibit

Exhibit

i didn’t include the shots of things already shown here / the ww2 exhibit was closed due to the air show - I’ve posted the airshow photos here. They’re planning a massive expansion there - with 2 new buildings so it will be even better in a few years time - something to look forward to..

• Like 4