FRADU Canberra T4s

Pat C

Would I be correct in thinking that the FRADU Canberra T4s were painted in all over Light Aircraft Grey? Was looking on the FRADU Canberras website and one of the machines appears much lighter than the others (almost white) and wondered if this was just due to the lighting conditions or if it was in fact, a different colour.

Pat

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Pat C said:

Would I be correct in thinking that the FRADU Canberra T4s were painted in all over Light Aircraft Grey? Was looking on the FRADU Canberras website and one of the machines appears much lighter than the others (almost white) and wondered if this was just due to the lighting conditions or if it was in fact, a different colour.

Pat

Hi Pat 

Yes by and large Light Aircraft Grey, with the odd (rare) High Speed Silver one. no white or exotic colours.

John

• Like 1

John - sorry me again. Any idea where I can find out what the top of the wing looks like in terms of roundel placement and day glo strips for the RN T4s? I can see underwing the roundel is situated towards the wing tip and sits on 4 day glo strips than run front to back. Does the top wing roundel do something similar I was wondering?

Pat

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pat C said:

John - sorry me again. Any idea where I can find out what the top of the wing looks like in terms of roundel placement and day glo strips for the RN T4s? I can see underwing the roundel is situated towards the wing tip and sits on 4 day glo strips than run front to back. Does the top wing roundel do something similar I was wondering?

Pat

No problem Pat, I've closed the laptop down for thd night, I'll dig some info out tomorrow for you, unless someone beats me to it that is.

John

• Like 1

OK Pat, here we go the answer is, no idea! I have photos of the top side of the TT.18 and T.22 but nothing for the T.4! Now there are two possibilities some definitely follow the RAF standard, and some follow the FRADU pattern no fin flash and Royal Navy on the fuselage and number on the nose so I would venture that the top of the wing would follow the same convention as the TT.18 and T.22 with the small roundel, in the back of my mind I think we've been down this road before on another thread, sorry not to have conclusive answer.

bG5zv6.jpg

I'm guessing this one is ex RAF with fin flash and big roundels?

bG5QED.jpg

Another ex RAF but with what looks like a replacement tail unit painted white? 

bG5U85.jpg

This one looks like full FRADU mode

bG5XdP.jpg

John      

• Like 4

On 3/20/2019 at 7:48 PM, canberra kid said:

OK Pat, here we go the answer is, no idea! I have photos of the top side of the TT.18 and T.22 but nothing for the T.4! Now there are two possibilities some definitely follow the RAF standard, and some follow the FRADU pattern no fin flash and Royal Navy on the fuselage and number on the nose so I would venture that the top of the wing would follow the same convention as the TT.18 and T.22 with the small roundel, in the back of my mind I think we've been down this road before on another thread, sorry not to have conclusive answer.

bG5zv6.jpg

John - that is one interesting photo you have put up.  All RN aircraft, including Canberras, were restricted to a roundel size of 36 inches yet that aircraft has mainplane roundels smaller than that.  Further more all FRADU aircraft had initially dayglo bands on fuselage and mainplanes and yet this aircraft does not.  Puzzling !.

Not quite T.Mk.4's, but in the April 1985 issue of Aircraft Modelworld, there was an article of FRADU Canberras with some very useful and dimensioned drawings.  I have attached the centre spread from that article in the hope that it provides some assistance particularly in roundel/serial position and band width.  : -

zM4swAg.jpg

Hope this helps

Dennis

• Like 4