Eduard Bell P-400 Airacobra

Hi all. Here is one of the two finished builds from 2018. 

It is Eduards rather nice Airacobra kit as a Weekend Edition build out of the box with aftermarket seat belts from Eduard.

My P-400 is finished in the colors from the 67th FS/ 347th FG on Henderson Airfield, Guadalcanal, 1942 using the decals from the kit and some from Hasegawa.

This was my last RAF aircraft type build using a blue tinted color for RAF Dark Green. I have also followed the painting instructions of Airfixs P-40C kit which recommends Humbrol HU 129 pale gray as Du Pond RAF Color.

The biggest error was to put not enough weight in the nose so my Cobra needed "wheel chocks".

Beside this i am quite happy with it and i hope you like this one as well.

titel86453

The photos were taken today between rainshowers outside.

Cheers

Bernd

• Like 53

15 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Beautiful work on your Airacobra. :thumbsup: ... The Cobra is my 2nd favorite WW2 type because of its overall uniqueness. Tricycle gear & mid-engined layout just makes them interesting. 

Thanks and that goes for me too. Great lines, sleek and completely unique and we as modellers can t complain about a lack of interesting marking choices.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Mark Joyce said:

Great looking Airacobra, Bernd!  I like the subtle weathering you achieved.

Cheers,

Mark

Thank you Mark. During the final touches and the little weathering i was wondering how a oil and dirt stained belly of the Airacobra would have looked like and where the oil is coming out.

Never seen a photo of a flipped over P-39 or in flight banking away from the camera ship.

Now that is really nice - love that weathering! I shall refer back to this when I finally get to painting mine!

ATB
Rick

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Spad said:

Now that is really nice - love that weathering! I shall refer back to this when I finally get to painting mine!

ATB
Rick

Thank you :). I am looking forward to your Airacobra. What kit is yours ?

22 minutes ago, russ c said:

Great looking `cobra there, really nice work

Thank you ! She was a little better before i knocked of the nose gun during the final touches.B)

12 hours ago, GREG DESTEC said:

Hi Bernd,

Nice to see you building aircraft again.

Great job on the airacobra,

Cheers Greg 👍👍

Thanks for looking matey. Aircrafts are never really far away but getting something finished is more my problem.

• Like 1

I think this is a great kit.  I have built several.  Profipacks and Weekenders.  Profipacks are really wasted on me as my skill level is not really up to it.  Also the base kit is so good that I do not really feel that I have lost out much.  And I have a soft spot for Airacobra's, especial;;y the P400s and D models.

Nice work.

I must get another.

Steve

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stephen Hawkins said:

I think this is a great kit.  I have built several.  Profipacks and Weekenders.  Profipacks are really wasted on me as my skill level is not really up to it.  Also the base kit is so good that I do not really feel that I have lost out much.  And I have a soft spot for Airacobra's, especial;;y the P400s and D models.

Nice work.

I must get another.

Steve

Thank you :)

The Eduard kit is indeed very nice and builds well. Hasegawa is a little better with sharper wing trailling edges and some better details.

I still have two P-400 and a mid production variant to build and plan to get me some more Eduard kits there are plenty of interesting markings.

Happy modelling.

Bernd

Hi Bernd!

Fantastic Airacobra! Great paintwork and weathering. Always had a soft spot for this airplane because of it´s unique design. As you already know, I have built the old Revell kit back in the nineties.  Additionally have a Toko P-63C Kingcobra in the stash as addition for my Indochina Collection.

Cheers,

Mario

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Mario said:

Hi Bernd!

Fantastic Airacobra! Great paintwork and weathering. Always had a soft spot for this airplane because of it´s unique design. As you already know, I have built the old Revell kit back in the nineties.  Additionally have a Toko P-63C Kingcobra in the stash as addition for my Indochina Collection.

Cheers,

Mario

Thanks for the kind words Mario :)

If i remember correctly Revell P-39 looked much better than their P-51, Spitfire I or the Emil.

Is the Toko Kingcobra a good kit ? 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, exdraken said:

Very nice!

The Airacobra is starting to grow on me!

Thank you. The Airacobra is a beautiful, sleek design.

My first aircraft from Monogram was their P-39 kit in 1:48 scale and it was a good build, making this type of aircraft special to me.

13 hours ago, Greg Law said:

That is a nice Airacobra Bernd. I hope to do one most likely next year. I think my diary is full for this year...  How was the build, any issues? 

Thank you Greg :)

The Eduard kit is a very nice kit with no real problems. The trailing edge of the wings are a bit on the thick side.

A highlight were the superb decals a completely trouble-free affair.

• Thanks 1