On 4/27/2019 at 9:07 PM, Schwarz-Brot said:

Seems like spring is a squiggy-season. Love it!

Thanks, I really like squigs too but embarrassingly had never painted one until now! Although there's a box of squigs vs. tree-elves coming which looks promising, I could split it with my daughter who is into the woodsy elves :)

It's autumn here on the far side of the world but that seems very apt for squigs - the bush is full of mushrooms of all different colours so lots of inspiration!

W

• 3 weeks later...

That was rather a big gap between gitz, we've had a lot of orienteering stuff on and I don't always want to paint when I'm knackered. Plus I hit my head on a tree and had to get it glued back together!

Anyway, back in modelling world I've got another three gitz painted up and based. That completes the gitz except for Zarbag who I guess should be next?

40892774443_b055bbe206_b.jpg

The arrer git and net git are just making up the numbers really, but the git with the ball and chain is a goblin fanatic. Drunk on madcap mushroom juice, he whirls around smashing into friends and enemies alike and generally making a mess. The Shadespire card has him as "Snirk Sourtounge".

33982005068_a2181282db_b.jpg

I wanted to paint a spiral on his eye but knew it was going to be impossible, so I started making it into a starburst and ended up with a gem-like effect. I'm not sure it really conveys the drugged-up-ness of Snirk but I think it looks quite nice.

47069852334_40872525b9_b.jpg

They're starting to make a nice little posse really. I've also primed Mollog the troll but I suspect I'm going to leave him for last as a reward.

Cheers,

Will

• Like 7

I painted the penultimate member of Mollog's Mob earlier this week, I think it took two or three evenings although I tend not to pick up the paints until quite late. 

46980205465_85d99cfd67_b.jpg

It's apparently a Spiteshroom, which gases people with its cloud of spores. I found the cloud particularly hard to paint - I wanted to add some fine swirls but my brush control wasn't really up to it on the blobby surfaces so had to do various subtractive things to tidy up. It still doesn't feel quite right although the back is better than the front. I suspect that using the airbrush would've really helped this as I could've got more consistent shading on the rounded shapes.

40929868803_f777eaf921_b.jpg

I also had some problems with bitty paint on the pale areas, which isn't unusual with CItadel creams and whites but seemed particularly irritating here.  But I'm very happy with the blue mushroom cap where the blends and highlights came out really quite well. And he looks good with the rest of the mob:

46980209035_51cf8479ef_b.jpg

I've built some more goblins this week too, as my daughter and I split the Looncurse (goblins vs. tree elves) box between us. No pics of those yet but I'll try and add some eventually. I really ought to finish the two leader models first though!

Cheers,

Will

• Like 5

23 hours ago, AndyRM101 said:

They harmonise so well, despite being quite a broad range.

Thanks Andy, I was going to say something about using a limited range of colours but I looked at my paint tray and every inch is full of pots of paint so that may not be 100% true!

I have tried to be consistent about the robes, skin and little yellow ornaments across the models which may help tie them together - the squigs don't have any of that stuff but they do have yellow eyes and the mushrooms are all consistent with the others which helps tie them in.

I've made a start on Zarbag now, who has classic Night Goblin van art flames on his hood :)

Cheers,

Will

Zarbag is a couple of evenings away from being done I think. I've painted all the mushrooms on the base, blocked in the figure and done the robes and face bar a little bit of cleaning up.

47941678422_ebb91869d7_b.jpg

I still have the contents of the cauldron to paint properly, plus some other details like string, toenails and the like. But at the moment I'm most excited about his one big eye which appears to contain Da Bad Moon itself:

47940525593_c030e184e1_b.jpg

Will try and get the rest of the colours done tonight so I can varnish him tomorrow.

Cheers,

Will

• Like 4

His big eye has a suitably manic look to it. I think he needs some drool hanging from his mouth to finish the deranged look.

Any plans to do the Loonshrine to go with the figures?

Andy:cat:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AndyRM101 said:

His big eye has a suitably manic look to it. I think he needs some drool hanging from his mouth to finish the deranged look.

Heh, that could work. I've seen people do cool stuff with invisible thread or brush bristles and various transparent media. I used to like the UHU drool strings but I'm coming to think that it doesn't usually look like what it is, or in-scale with the models.

7 hours ago, AndyRM101 said:

Any plans to do the Loonshrine to go with the figures?

I really want one, I put it on my birthday list along with the new trolls :) Loads of mushrooms on the shrine!

I can't remember if I said earlier, but I bought Looncurse (new goblins vs. Sylvaneth) to split with my daughter so I have quite a few more squigs and squig-related models built up but not based.

Will

• 2 weeks later...

Not really any time for painting between last week's club night and last night, as we were away for three days of orienteering over the long weekend and there was a whole lot of packing/recovering on top of that. But I picked Zarbag up last night to have a look at his glowy spite (yes, without the R) and this is the result:

48015461501_c9e0206646_b.jpg

I'd already glued him to the base, filled the gap in the wrist and touched up the paint, as well as adding some basing stuff and giving everything a couple of coats of Dullcote.

I've been trying to paint glows as direct light only with hard shadows and gleams on the edges, but that was difficult here as the main light source can only shine forward through the bars. So I've added a bit more of a soft glow on top to try and blend things together and make it make sense.

The glow is a mix of glazes of Hawk Turquoise with some Baharroth Blue highlights.

48015475923_4a2663fbf7_b.jpg

It's mostly on a metallic surface (the coppery cage) but I haven't tried to add any non glow highlights to that so far. Instead I've been painting in shadows with thinned down black instead.

I think it looks OK so far, but I'm not wild about the bit on the red mushroom, where the colours don't really combine well.

Cheers,

Will

• Like 2

I didn't stop working on this while I was fiddling around with contrast, and Zarbag is almost done:

48032804823_c49e02678c_b.jpg

48032764311_2fede69fe5_b.jpg

I've since walked back the blue highlight on the blade as I thought it was just a bit much, that's hopefully the last tweak. RFI tomorrow?

Will

• Like 2