Hi all,

I've been painting fiddly tiny robots and thought a palette-cleanser was called for - this little chap is from Zarbág's Gitz (a Shadespire warband) and took about an evening's work so far, spread over a couple of days.

47417375661_787c4decbf_b.jpg

'Scuse the bad photo, too much direct light in the room. I was quite pleased with him before I took the picture, but he's messy in close-up. Not surprising, I suppose, given that he's not much bigger than my thumbnail...

Paint recipes for reference:

* Skin: Death Guard green highlighted in two stages with mixes of that and Averland Sunset, then washed with a 2:1 mix of Lahmian Medium and Athonian Camoshade. I added highlights after that with Averland Sunset and Scream Skull, washed some recesses with neat Camoshade, and glazed red bits with very thin Mephiston Red cos it was on my palette.

* Cloth: Incubi Darkness with 1 or three coats of Nuln Oil (headcloth vs. robes) highlighted with Incubi Darkness, Hawk Turquoise and Baharroth Blue.

* Bindings: Rakath Flesh with green + brown washes and highlights of Rakarth and Pallid Wych Flesh.

* Leather: Dryad Bark washed with Agrax and stippled with yellow-brown (forgot the name) and Zandri Dust highlights. Then glazed with Seraphon Sepia.

I think those are the main ones. I'll see if I can tidy up the face as it's a bit rough, the rest isn't bad though apart from the dust. Once the base is painted I might blend some green mouldy colours into the robes?

Cheers,

Will

• Like 4

Hi Will,

I really like it! I As you said, I probably would just touch up the face a liiiiitle bit. I would probably adding a little bit more green under the nose. It looks like a too different color. Other than that, a very nice paint job! 

Stefan

• Like 1

That's pretty much what I did - improved the blending slightly and cleaned up those weird dark areas. He looks much better for a couple of layers of Dullcote too, although possibly glossing the open mouth was a bad idea. I normally like to have different matt and gloss areas but it points out that the mouth is shallow. I'll leave it for now and see how I feel next time I have varnish in the airbrush.

46507155375_620513d9fa_b.jpg

I wasn't going to add greenery to the base initially - I quite like the idea of it being almost monochrome - but there were a couple of gaps with the sit of the figure and the base of the mushroom so some quick moss was needed to hide them.

46507155905_b4df3de16e_b.jpg

Not bad for a couple of evenings really, I'll see if I can do some more.

Cheers,

Will

• Like 6

I found a picture I took of the Gitz in their raw form. I had to prime them quite quickly as the bilious plastic was pretty vile!

43517219910_31974be918_b.jpg

I have just started on the arrer git visible above right with the mushroom on his head...

W

• Like 2

Yes! Now it's perfect. That is exactly what i meant with the shadow.

I know what you mean with the gloss. I too, like different top coats. You are right, on the pictures you see the back of the mouth and it takes away from the illusion of a deep mouth. I don't know how dominant it is in real life since he is so tiny. 

For the base, if you don't play with him and don't have an overall theme, I wouldn't mind, having the base like this. The only thing I might do in this case, is probably give some bright highlights to the wood on the ground, like you did with the stones. 

Hmm, they had some brighter highlights but I stippled quite a lot of thinned black over to make it look like a fire which had burned and gone out. Maybe not entirely successful!

I should probably add some ash or something, but at the moment he's in the cabinet while I do the face on the second grot.

W

I started the second one yesterday and got fairly far along.

47429451751_33d42cb866_b.jpg

I need to fix the wayward blue on the eyebrows and tidy the clumsy texture on the bow wrappings, remove some matting agent clumps, otherwise I'm fairly pleased. Oh, and I didn't highlight the fletchings yet.

More importantly I need to decide what colour mushroom hat. Red would be consistent as it's the same shape as the little one on the first git's base. Purple/white would be pretty but it doesn't really have an inkcap vibe. Sickly yellow-brown?

Will

• Like 4

I like him. 

For the hat, I would probably go with red so it matches the arrows and the other mushrooms. I hope you don't mind, I quickly painted over. Even though all your color ideas look somewhat cool, the red fits it the best (as you mentioned). 

Keep up the great work :) 

colors.jpg

• Like 3

Ha, a friend on Facebook was suggesting I do a digital test. Thanks for saving me the work! I think I'm committed to yellow-brown now, I want to pick up the warmth of the Bad Moon trinket on the first goblin as this guy doesn't have one.

Will

One yellow hat, with many small vertical striations. Once you've painted Tyranids all you can see is carapace...

40466435803_421ec037bd_b.jpg

I quite like the way the knuckles came out.

47432154881_64748c7498_b.jpg

Cheers,

Will

• Like 5

There are 9 in the band, so two grunts to do, three characters, and two squigs. I might give the squigs a go but I need to touch up some primer first.

Cheers,

Will

• Like 1

Had a busy weekend so no time for painting, but I picked up the tray again last night and made a start on the squigs:

32534347777_4743a8436e_b.jpg

The skin is a base coat of Squig Orange (what else?) highlighted with Averland Sunset and washed with Carroburg Crimson, Druchi Violet and Naggaroth Nightshade further down.

33599696508_6bcb1e4862_b.jpg

I blocked in the mouth with Screamer Pink, it's very hard to be sure I've hit everything between the teeth as they're so hard to get to - at least it's dark in there!

I'm currently highlighting the skin again with Lugganath Orange and mixes of that and Pallid Wych Flesh. The latter a bit messy but I've found something to try as a glaze medium to get a bit more control, so we'll see if that helps.

Cheers,

Will

• Like 4

The first squig is mostly done now, bar the base. I blended some lighter colours over the belly using ancient Liquitex pouring medium to create glazes. It works OK but it's just slightly too thick, as compared to the GW medium which is slightly too thin for good control.

33604587468_b5d9809a96_b.jpg

(click to embiggen if you want to see all my brush-strokes...)

I also painted the face and teeth. Which make up about 50% of the model :)

46565941895_da764c99ae_b.jpg

I thought the gums ended up rather messy and with slightly too much contrast, I've toned them down a bit here and tried to soften the lower lip. It helps that I looked back a the box art and the blob on the lip is another piercing, which will distract from the flesh colour.

47482612271_13069fb0ef_b.jpg

I did yet another pass over the gums with a warm pink midtone after that. I'm painting the base at the moment, so not far to go.

It'll be interesting to see what it looks like with a coat of varnish as the pouring medium is very glossy and makes it a bit hard to see exactly what's going on.

Cheers,

Will

• Like 7

Finished him off yesterday afternoon but didn't manage to take any pics until this morning.

46779581404_b36cb93977_b.jpg

I used the same green and yellow as the goblin skin for the little pool, but filled in between the ripples with several layers of Biel-tan green (the old blue-green wash). I added more layers in the centre to make it look a bit deeper, and then gave it a couple of heavy coats of Klear for the gloss.

33626581808_7e1892b182_b.jpg

His teeth and gums have also had a thin coat of Klear after the matt varnish, and I painted in the rings with Boltgun Metal shaded with Agrax and highlighted with Mithril Silver. The rust is some left-over squig skin tone from my palette :)

32561164287_9043c8a961_b.jpg

I think he came out rather well but surprisingly took a bit more work than the goblins - I guess it's all the highlights and blending over the larger skin area?

Cheers,

Will

• Like 5

I painted the other squig up yesterday. He was almost a one-day model but I did the base orange coat along with the other. But he could've been!

This is Bonekrakka da Squig:

47517068091_bd439e0faf_b.jpg

His skin's a tiny bit more saturated that Gobbaluk's because I forgot to let down the crimson wash with medium, but they're close enough.

47517069001_935c4e527e_b.jpg

His pose is a lot easier to photograph too, although I spent a while blending pale colours over the belly and they're almost invisible from sane angles. Ah well.

I need to fix a little bit of gum pink on one of the teeth, I'll do that before I clean up my palette. Painting the bone was a bit of a guess but I tried to make it look fairly fresh and added a bit of Clear Red and Blood for the Blood God to suggest that it had had some good eating on it.

40551068733_c6e931eb21_b.jpg

Five goblins left now.

Cheers,

Will

• Like 4

I've started the squig herder so he can keep Gobbaluk and Bonekrakka in line:

46622253975_7a58f5bed1_b.jpg

Early days yet, but I'm already pleased that I didn't fit the head in place as it's so much easier to paint. It took me three goes to get his left eye pointing the same way as the right, and then I repainted the right anyway as it'd lost definition from washes. C'est la vie!

47485040192_a7d0be9e42_b.jpg

The body is mostly just base-coats, I'll probably try and get the cloth finished and tone the skin down a bit more, then I can do the fun bits like the charcoal pot and branding iron.

Cheers,

Will

• Like 4

Had rather a busy weekend again but found time to work on Drizgit da Squig Herder:

40592985993_c4ea1fa7dd_b.jpg

I painted the robe and leather much the same way as the other goblins, added some faux wood grain lines to his brandin' stick, and then had to deal with the tricky glowy bits.

40592986993_90c7285703_b.jpg

Actually the glows weren't too hard (just work from yellow inside to black outside through red) but the smoke/steam required some thought to incorporate redness without being murky, and could do with cleaner blends. Not too much left to do now before varnish and metal armour, just the mushroom-onna-stick and anything I've forgotten.

Cheers,

Will

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Had another busy week so poor Drizgit didn't get any metallic bits painted until Sunday night I think. Took a couple of evenings and a bit of time today, but he's finally done!

46703682505_19ac49ec45_b.jpg

The armour is Boltgun Metal highlighted with Mithril Silver and a little bit of Stormhost Silver. I added quite a bit of shading with Agrax Earthshade, black, and Skrag Brown to try and sell the shapes and age it a bit.

The pot I decided to make cast iron so gave the black a very heavily thinned coat of Boltgun and then stippled it with different browns and black followed with a couple of glazes of black all over.

47566295162_f2a7e9c803_b.jpg

Not entirely sure the "magic knife" works - he's not really a shaman type, but it seemed like a fun thing to try. Maybe he found "Sting" lying around in a cave?

He definitely looks a bit world-weary, I think herding squigs is probably not the boingy fun we might imagine it to be

46703684555_045f9a0f9b_b.jpg 

Cheers,

Will

• Like 7

Thanks folks, I was very pleased with how the glows came out as I wasn't sure how to approach the smoke/glow transition at first.

Four more goblins to go then I can have a break, although I've spent the last couple of evenings cleaning up and building some other figures as a bit of light relief. I think I might try and put some paint on the fanatic (ball & chain guy) today though!

Cheers,

Will

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to paint more squigs so assembled and painted the two from Mollog's Mob. They're accompanied by a big troll and odd mushroom thing which I haven't started yet.

32757300857_4f274dd99e_b.jpg

The above is a Stalagsquig, which I basically treated as a rock with a little Squig Orange blended in to the grey around the face to give it a bit of a blush and a hint that it's not just a rock. The below is a Bat-Squig, which is essentially a mouth with wings. It's done the same way as the other squigs, but without the pale belly as there was so little space to fit it in.

32757301747_71b31c36d2_b.jpg

They weren't a whole lot of work but I've had to fit them in around other things, of which there have been a lot in the last few weeks! Now back to the goblins, probably, or maybe Mollog's weird mushroom friend.

33823200958_166ffa0f62_b.jpg

Cheers,

Will

• Like 5

Somehow I missed out big time on this thread, had a whole lot to look through. Seems like spring is a squiggy-season. Love it! Goblins and especially squig-herders and riders are an all-time favourite of mine. So cool, so crazy. And you absolutely get them right. Keep 'em coming!

• Like 1