Italeri 1:72 C-47 "Tropical Tilly" from "The Thing", Lone Star Decals

Yes I now - I wanted to reduce my shelf of doom before I through in another kit into a GB. But hey-so what!?

So please pardon my mistake self control: Here is "Tropical Tilly" from "The Thing" (Howard Hawks). I still like this movie a lot since I watched it as a young boy with verrrry wide eyes :yikes:

I got some decals from Lone Star Models some years ago and had a Italeri C-47 in my stash. The Italan kit comes without skis but Jason from sunny Swansea was so generous to part from his Airfix parts (Thanks Jason!). So this was the starting point:

C-47 STGB 2019 1

There are a few still picts which can be found on the web of the "Tropic Tilly":

C-47 STGB 2019 2

My initial idea was to do a simple diorama similar to the picture above but with open cargo doors: Some figures, dogs, a sled with a big chunk of ice to be loaded into the C-47. All ingredience for missing a GB deadline. The good point was that I could not find suitable figures so second idea was almost as fancy as my first: To build this (almost) OOB.

As nothing can be seen through the tiny windows once the fuselage halfs are puttogether I avoided any additional detailing inside. Infact I even avoided to paint some areas:

C-47 STGB 2019 3

Ups- spotted some typos in the pics... Sorry.

More to follow soon. I need to work on the pics I took (the build is a bit further by now).

Thanks for watching,

Rene

• Like 6

Some more pics of the progress. The fit is actually quite good for a kit of this age. As written above I closed up the fuselage without further detailing inside:

C-47 STGB 2019 4

Same super detail work did not take place on other parts:

C-47 STGB 2019 6

In fact I still wonder if I put covers over the engines as visible in one of the real deal pictures in my initial post. But I am not sure yet.

So after the lower center section of the wing was fixed in place I added the rest of the wings:

C-47 STGB 2019 5

There was a gap in the upper port wing and on in the lower starboard wing, which had to be filled. As well as the fuselage seam on top and bottom. Maybe I could have avoided this with a bit more care. :shrug:

C-47 STGB 2019 7

Thats it for today. And maybe the next couple of days 🙂

René

• Like 6

Started to spray some paint on:

C-47 STGB 2019 10

Going along the easy road I just grabbed two spray cans for the NMF/aluminium. I once had a nice spray for aluminium car rims that could actaully be polished almost like real aluminium. Surely the company closed 😞 But the spray used above is not that bad for a start. I will try some techniques to make it more NMF-like, without the workload needed for an Alclad finish. Let's see...

• Like 5

Some more paint added the last couple of days:

C-47 STGB 2019 11C-47 STGB 2019 12

C-47 STGB 2019 13

Some more touch ups and I can start decaling. I am especially thrilled about the yellow fuselage band and if it makes a nice parallel match to the red tail. To be honest I fear it will not and I will have to paint it.

Looking at the screen shots above I realized that the Red Gecko decals from Lone Star are not correct regarding the wing decals. There seems to be a USAF and Stars'n'Bars on top and bottom - outlined with silver. So I will have to cut masks for these or find some spares in my decal box which would surprize me.

Rene

Edit: I watched the parts of the movie showing the Tropical Tilly again and at least the insignias are not outlined in silver. The USAF is not so clearly visible but I assume it unlikely to be outlined if the insignia is not.

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

A bit slow on updates... Some stills from the movies (real screen shots - taken with the camera :banghead:)

C-47 STGB 2019 14

They show some issues regarding the aftermarket decals, which I will have to deal with.

I have some trouble with adding pics here today. New content is alreay uploaded to Flickr and tonght I hope to post more.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks. A bit late with the update. Actually I tried to post them last night but the servers was already down. So now just quickly theprepared pics without much aditional text:

C-47 STGB 2019 20

C-47 STGB 2019 21

C-47 STGB 2019 22

The weathering and tonal variation in the NMF panels were done with Tamiya weathering sets. I put a post-it on the panel line and applied the weathering with the small sponge included in the Tamiya sets. No pics of the procedure - just the result. The post-it was also the reason for the damaged tail number 😞 The decal is ioncorrect anyway so one day in the future I will print a replacement.

C-47 STGB 2019 23

Thanks for looking,

Rene

• Like 7