Revell Messerschmitt Me 262 B-1a/U1 nightfighter

JOCKNEY

This is a marker for this GB, as I have multiple unfinished builds all over the place at the moment. This kit will make a pleasant change I hope, as it's much newer than the ones I normally build and as it's sealed in the bag hopefully complete ! :winkgrin:

IMG_4317

So just an FW200 Condor in the Maritime GB, and 3 trainers in the Trainers GB, then I will be back ! Meanwhile please drop in on my daughter Rose with her Arado 196 in this GB as I'm hoping to encourage her in our great hobby.

cheers Pat

• Like 11

welcome along Pat......finally! :D

You do seem to be a busy man and am glad to have made you even busier now. Glad to see a Me-262 in the build, always nice to have one of them in any build.

Good luck with the build, just remember sleep is an option and over rated, look forward to seeing her in the gallery.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Col. said:

Interesting subject choice Pat. Am I correct in thinking this was the first jet nightfighter?

Hi Col

I believe so but if it isn't someone will correct us !

cheers Pat

8 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Hi Col

I believe so but if it isn't someone will correct us !

cheers Pat

is that a cue for me to butt in!! :D

The first proposal to use the Me-262 occurred during a development meeting in Sept44 (the Ar-234 around the same time).

ok, V-067 (the single seat test mule) first flew with FuG-220 Lichtenstein setup in around Oct44

Construction?conversions of the first Me-262B-1a U1's (2 seaters) Night Fighters occurred around end of January, beginning of Feb45.

The first Me-262B-1a U1's (2 seaters) became operational April 45 with 10./NJG11 (these were modified 2 seater aircraft into Night Fighter config), maybe a dozen or so were eventually received but unknown how many ever carried out operation.

The first Me-262B-2b (these were designed from the offset as Night Fighters) started test flyings g around Mar45.

The Arado Ar-234B2-N, only 3 were ever made, the first one flew December 44 (maybe Jan45) but crashed in Feb45, Feb/Mar45 the second aircraft started flying with an operational test unit on evaluation mission followed a bit later by aircraft #3. There is no mention if they ever shot down any aircraft. (These two aircraft are the focus of the schemes in the Hasegawa 1/48th beasty).

So technically the Ar-234B-2N was the first jet powered Night Fighter, but the Me-262B-1a was the first operational one.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

is that a cue for me to butt in!! :D

So technically the Ar-234B-2N was the first jet powered Night Fighter, but the Me-262B-1a was the first operational one.

So technically I was half right :lol: That single-seat 262 with radar sounds interesting though...

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Col. said:

So technically I was half right :lol: That single-seat 262 with radar sounds interesting though...

Single seat 262s without radar operated in the night fighter role with Kommando Welter at the end of the war. I don't know if this was before or after the Arado jets. The Luftwaffe needed some sort of defence against the Mosquitoes that were to fast for any of the other conventional German fighters. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks gents

By the way the actual kit is still sealed in the box and therefore I can state with confidence has not at this stage been either operational or shot down anyone else !

cheers Pat

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Col. said:

mmm it is, that aircraft got used for all sorts of stuff, I think it was finally used operationally towards the very end.

3 hours ago, GREG DESTEC said:

Single seat 262s without radar operated in the night fighter role with Kommando Welter at the end of the war. I don't know if this was before or after the Arado jets. The Luftwaffe needed some sort of defence against the Mosquitoes that were to fast for any of the other conventional German fighters. 

Gosh I'd have to look that up, the Arado's got off to a bit of a slow start due to low fuel reserves, but they got a boost in supplies early 45 (??? have forgotten for now), but they got to prove themselves as bombers (sort of, not enough to be even slightly significant) and fine Recon birds, as Night Fighters they would have been formidable. The 262's under JV44 proved the concept beyond a doubt, things may have been a wee bit more interesting if Galland had been listened too right from the start of the 262's operations!

3 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Thanks gents

By the way the actual kit is still sealed in the box and therefore I can state with confidence has not at this stage been either operational or shot down anyone else !

cheers Pat

Come on Pat break the seal, you know you want to! :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The Revell Me 262 kits are pretty nice builds and the misshappen clear parts is more a problem on the single seat fighter/recon kit.

Kommando Welter had indeed some two seaters on strength but it is doubtful if they saw combat because the unit had no radar operators.

The unit flew sorties using the "Wilde Sau" tactic that means they were guided by ground operators and using searck light from the ground as guide.

Greg is right in this point i think.

The first daylight hunting missions were flown by test pilots of Kommando Thierfelder based at Lager Lechfeld against incoming Mosquitos in summer 1944. The aircraft was designed to be a figher but it was an order by Hitler that the aircraft had to be used as a fighter bomber so the development as a true interceptor had not more the needed priority.

The first unit using it as a bomber was Kommando Schenk formed by crews from KG 51 Edelweiß. It was a quite rushed attempt and there was no clear tactic no knowledge about to use the aircraft properly in the fighter bomber role and it was difficult to hit something on the ground. The lack of success brought them the nickname "Flurschaden Geschwader"

Later on this improved and KG 51 was the sole operator of the 262 as a fighter bomber during the retreat in 1945. Some of their Aircraft were later used by the Gallands JV 44 based at Munich.

The first use of the Arado was in July 1944. It was a dedicated recce bird with cameras and no undercarriage. It was brought in the air using a starting vehicle and the landing was on a slit similar to the Me 163. 

Pretty perfect for this GB but i don t think there are kits out maybe vacu kits.

It was first used as a bomber at Christmas 1944 by the KG 76. It took a while to design an undercarriage to the sleek airframe. 

The Ar 234B-2 nightfighter was tested by the Kommando Bisping at Oranienburg in late 1944/1945. After the death of Hptm. Bisping during a landing accident with one of his aircrafts in February 1945 the unit was renamed in Kommando Bonow. It is unclear if these aircraft ever had some success. At least one of the gun packs with two Mg 151/20mm was used by a recon unit in Italy. 

• Like 3

Hi Pat,

this should be interesting. I have heard a lot of good about this kit. Hopefully it was not fake news!?!!

I am sure the surface detail is way better than the "older" Heller kit. 

Anyway, crack open the cellophane bag and show us what's in it!

Cheers

JR

The Ar 234b_2 was used as a bomber of the bridge heads in 1945 by kg 76. It was tried as a nightfighter, but didn't do well. I believe it didn't have any success at all. There are several kits out there on the market or eBay for purchase at the moment one is the 1/48 scale Hasegawa kit and the other is the Gomix kit. The Gomix kit is under scale I understand. I have both kits on the way and will do a comparison in my bridge project thread.

Ok now back to the Me 262. Nightfighter. I have one of these in my stash in 1/48 as well.

mmm I have both as well, avoid the Gomix one like the plague!!!! There's more wrong with it than there is right! If I had to guess where it came from then I suspect it's a re-box of the old Hobbycraft model. 

I've built 2 of the Hasegawa ones and have 2 more (I think) in the stash. They are such a nice model and are pretty much spot-on accuracy wise, I may even get a couple more.

For AM bits you need to be very careful when buying and if it's for the Hasegawa model then make sure the AM bits say they're for that model. I learnt the hard way! All the Unicraft stuff for the project Arado's are for the Hobbycaft model, same with the Cutting edge stuff. Antares (they have a cool crescent wing conversion among other things) as made for the Hasegawa mode.

Plus there is on the horizon (like really way off) the prospect of a Zoukei-Mura Ar-234 coming in 1/32nd!!!

Sorry guys I will just answer Rich's post. Then we should get back on topic.

Rich the cockpit I have is the Aires one with the wheel bay. I notice you mentioned not to bother with the wheel bay after I bought it. The the rest is basically what you used in your nightfighter version. If the Gomix is the hobbycraft one it will be terrible. I have their Do 17p which doesn't look all that good, but it is the only 1/48 on the market.