Dapol Rocket - Green Flag seen - full steam ahead

Paul821

It is a number years since anyone has posted this venerable model onto BM,

DSC00875

so I thought I would give it a go. Venerable indeed as shown by the copyright date

DSC00877

Now on its third manufacturer this sprue shot

DSC00876

shows a significant amount of flash, but luckily none of it is near delicate parts. I have purchased Dapol kits with significant moulding errors, this one seems OK.

DSC00878

Dapol's warranty makes interesting reading. Especially as it would cost me most in transport costs & parking, to get to my LMS to return it than the kit cost.

Will make an interesting build as Yellow and White are my two least favourite colours to brush paint. Airfix used to mould it in yellow plastic which actually was not much help if you primed the kit prior to painting.

On with the build...

Edited by Paul821
  • Like 2

I always like to prime my kits before assembly - I know some people feel this makes construction harder but in my opinion it eases painting overall.

DSC00881

Both Halfords primers, the yellow one should make painting the yellow much easier.

The kit is well designed as all the ejector pin marks are in unseen areas - except

DSC00882

Now being addressed

• Like 3

Current progress

DSC03620

I know many of you dislike the small pots of Airfix acrylic's that come with starter kits, but the first coat of yellow was using Revell Aquacolor. When I opened the pot it was thick s I thinned it with Revell thinner but I was not happy with the brush finish. I then recalled that I has a pot of Airfix from my YellowJack Gnat which went on well, so used that for the second coach with better effect.

The chimney will not let out much smoke!

DSC03624

it will need drilling out - macro photos can come in use , I had not noticed the seam with the naked eye.

• Like 4

The change in title to add stalled, has nothing to do with "leaves on the line", or the "wrong kind of snow" it's just that all of the Roket's pipe were copper and I do not have any copper paint available.

This is where the loss of L in LMS really hits home. It now takes around one hour each way to either of my LMS's - so I cannot just pop out for a pot of paint. the good news is that Mrs 821 had already scheduled a visit to the town where on said LMS s located for Saturday for another purpose. So this build should be back on the rails by Saturday evening.

• Like 2

Great to see  Robert Stephenson's masterpiece come to life Paul,I alway's fancied building this kit over the year's,I built a few of the Dapol kit's

as a kid in Airfix boxes and just building the footbridge and engine shed for a small layout the molds ofwhich seemed to have aged better than 

some of the engine's,I'll follow along with this.

I built one once when my children were a lot younger and gave an Airfix moulding. I once saw one at a model railway exhibition that had bee motorised. I would love to know how it was done. 

4 hours ago, Mr T said:

I once saw one at a model railway exhibition that had bee motorised.

This may well have been the Triang OO model,  as I think that motorising the Airfix kit would be practically impossible. In view the only way of doing it would be to attach it to a motorised van. The reason being getting the valve gear moving freely. There was also a Matchbox box which being diecast did move freely and again cold be propelled.

I am looking forward to getting the paint tomorrow and moving on.

• Like 1

It was definitely not a Triang one. On a railway modelling forum I have come across some discussion as to how it could be done and the valve gear on the one I saw was metal. Some railway modellers do build their own from scratch. 

Finally reached a model shop today, with the intention of buying one bottle of Copper paint. Came out with that and two other posts.: old brass and burnt iron. The reason for these is that I found a picture of the replica Rocket after a full days running and there were significant sign of heat which I will try to replicate in this build.

The paint costs for this build are now over 200% of that of the original model.

• Like 1

One hour on, and thanks to quick drying acrylics, the funnel seems to have achieved the look I was after. That is that the white paint burnt off to show copper underneath but the copper was burnt at the bottom. The problem is, as usual, macro photo's show up flaws elsewhere that will need addressing.

DSC00885

The white rings on the water barrel are masking tape.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

looks a well made model,  Battling my way through the Dapol Battle of Britain Class and first time using an airbrush.   will have to learn how to add photo

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This tool will play a significant part in the next stage of this build

Hammer

@Herbert

Thanks for the comment and by the way, welcome to BM and good luck with the Dapol BoB - good see a fellow railway modeller here.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Probably the most enjoyable modelling for some time, using the hammer to make this

DSC03631

One of the harder things to reproduce through painting at 1:76th scale is coal. The best way is to reduce 1:1 coal at 1:76 scale, using the aforementioned tool. One thing I discovered was that full size coal is actually fairly clean, reduce it down and you have to be vary careful as fingers soon get black.

I used PVA glue to attach the coal with the following effect. PVA - sprinkle - shake off

DSC03633

• Like 4

Great to see it finished Paul,it would never get through in a million year's but it would be nice to have a static railway GB taking in all aspect's

of railway modelling locos,rolling stock,building's etc,anyway back to the model in hand superb job done!