Matchbox A.W. Meteor NF11

This is the Matchbox A.W. Meteor NF11 built as WD642/A of RAF 256 Squadron based at RAF Ahlhorn, Germany in 1952.  

256 Squadron had been a night fighter squadron in WW2 but were disbanded at the end of the war.  In 1951, they were reformed with the Meteor night fighter and served in Germany until final disbandment in 1959.  I chose to model their aircraft as it was the only jet they ever flew and so the only aircraft that I could apply these squadron colours to.

The old Mbox is a fairly easy build with no major fit issues and no trench for the panel lines!  I left off a couple of antenna from under the rear fuselage after knocking them off twice.  Decals are a combination of Matchbox, Modeldecal and homemade serials.  

s1.jpg

p1.jpg

r2.jpg

s2.jpg

u1.jpg

I am not sure why the serials have such a sheen in that last pic.  In most lights you can't see that decal film at all!

Here she is with two of her older sisters.

g3.jpg

David

• Like 33

Very nicely done and an uncommon squadron as well. I've built 7 or 8 of these and each one has had its own fit issues so you must have been lucky with yours. The decal film is probably only visible due to the shallow angle

Looks good with the sisters - Frog F4 and MPM F8?

Steve

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, BritJet said:

Very nicely done and an uncommon squadron as well. I've built 7 or 8 of these and each one has had its own fit issues so you must have been lucky with yours. The decal film is probably only visible due to the shallow angle

Looks good with the sisters - Frog F4 and MPM F8?

Steve

Thanks, Steve.  Yes, I've read of fit issues but I used only a  little filler.  The worst spot, of course, was the insert on the fuselage top.

Yes, that's the Frog F4 but the F8 is a kitbash of Frog F4 wings and Merlin F8 fuselage and tailplanes.

David

That's just lovely David - has there ever been a better set of Squadron bars than 256's double blue curves? I think it's the best. 

Really nice collection of Meatboxes, which all look really nice posed together in fine flying fashion. 

Cheers and well modelled.. Dave.