French Hussars

Ratch

Thanks Jim, I hadn't done a 54mm figure for a while and thought it would make a nice change. It all went together very well. Just a little filler, bits from the spares box and a little scratchbuilding (the sabretasche on the 5th) and they were complete in a couple of days. I also tried something new with the black ink wash and I was quite pleased with the result.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Ratch said:

Thanks Jim, I hadn't done a 54mm figure for a while and thought it would make a nice change. It all went together very well. Just a little filler, bits from the spares box and a little scratchbuilding (the sabretasche on the 5th) and they were complete in a couple of days. I also tried something new with the black ink wash and I was quite pleased with the result.

With the filler and scatch building it turn out very well,see why you would be pleased,I've read a little about the ink washes,do you think they are better than a watered down acrylic wash,and do you thin the inks down or staight out of the bottle?,Cheers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I tried an acrylic wash some years ago and it didn't work for me. For the ink wash I used Games Workshop 61-75 Black Ink. I have a small brush that is nice and soft. I pick up a little ink and transfer it to a pallet, then dip the brush in water. It's difficult to describe but I just want a small amount of ink and not too black. Its a bit like putting a filter over the model, manipulating the effect until it looks pleasing to you. If it looks too black add water and spread it about to thin it out, or little dabs of black onto a pre-watered area and the ink will dissipate and emphasise the moulded detail. So really, most of the thinning/manipulation I did on the figure. Be brave - nothing ventured....

HTH

• Thanks 1

Great figures, really love them.  Could you perhaps take a couple of pictures that are brighter lite so we can see the figures better?

I love the variations of uniforms for the Hussars and the way the uniforms evolved throughout the period.  Once you add in the factor of campaign dress as well it can make for great variation - even within the same troop.  I have not done a Hussar figure less than 90mm though (and I did that well over 20 years ago) which was a Poste Militaire figure and particularly nice and completed it as 9th Hussars in the Peninsula.  I also did a larger resin figure which had odd proportions and completed that one as a Major of 3rd Hussars (same uniform as in the Duelists) - where ever that went to - I don't know..

• Like 2