A colourful Thud - Trumpeter conversion F-105B Thunderchief 54-0107 1/72

Hi all,

Another off the production line, and this time it is my conversion of a Trumpeter F-105D to a B-model, allowing me to build another test machine, F-105B-5-RE 54-0107 (the 3rd F-105B built). She is built to depict her when she was operated by the ARDC as part of the Wright Air Development Center. At that time she was used for, at least, cold weather trials in Alaska in the late 1950s, and went on to spend her entire career as a test machine, finishing her days as a preserved machine at Lackland AFB, Texas. I recorded her there during a repaint in May 1979. She is still there, as far as I know.

Lak1

My build WIP is here for the background on how I got to where I am now with her.

What did I do/use? Well:

1.       Kit – Trumpeter F-105D 1/72 and nose from Hasegawa F-105B (thanks @rossm)

2.       Aftermarket – Aires seat and wheels, pitot from a Master MIG-21PF

3.       Paints – All Humbrol - 27002 Polished Aluminium, 155 Insignia Red, 60 Scarlet, 3 Green, 130 Satin White (I had not Matt at the time), 140 Gull Grey, 33 Matt Black, 155 Olive Drab, 191 Chrome Steel, 121 Stone, 27003 Polished Steel, 226 Interior Green, plus ModelMaster International Orange. I have to thank @Giorgio N for his help producing the paint masks.

4.       Decals – Xtradecal National insignia, a mix of kit and Microscale stencil and warning markings, Home printed the lettering and numbers (many thanks to @Rob de Bie) and the unit badges. Black walkway lining from Xtradecal.

5.       Panel lining and general dirtying – Tamiya Weathering Powders and Flory Dirt.

Again, like my Voodoo, I tried to dirty the NMF to show use and the grime picked up over time. Certainly there is one image on line showing her polished for an air show, but I wanted to show her as she would have been day to day. I’m not convinced that I got there, with the Flory Dirt adhering too much to the NMF in places. Unfortunately once done there is no way back other than a repaint! I guess I’m never 100% happy! ;)

DSX_0618

DSX_0608

DSX_0616

DSX_0610

DSX_0615

I hope you like her. Certainly for any of you wanting a B-model this is an easy way to go.

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 62

Another great looking Test bird Martin. Very nice - and I like the red.

Incidentally, I have found that staining a silver finish simply with pencil graphite gives a grubby used look - might be worth a try? I usually do over a varnish coat.

Cheers

Malcolm

42 minutes ago, Baldy said:

Another great looking Test bird Martin. Very nice - and I like the red.

Incidentally, I have found that staining a silver finish simply with pencil graphite gives a grubby used look - might be worth a try? I usually do over a varnish coat.

Cheers

Malcolm

Ah ha, thanks for the tip, Malcolm. I think I skimped on the gloss layer post-decalling. ;) The Flory washes need absolutely gloss in order not to be absorbed. 

Martin

31 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

You're on a bright red phase aren't you? :D It looks brilliant, & very nice as well. ;)

Steve.

Just wait until you see my next F-104 and F-101, Steve :)

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

a really nice thud great to see one in nmf for a change , you can't beat some century series planes i can;t wait to see whats next 

ian

11 hours ago, ijs302 said:

a really nice thud great to see one in nmf for a change , you can't beat some century series planes i can;t wait to see whats next 

ian

Absolutely :). What great machines they were, Ian! Thanks for that.

10 hours ago, Vultures1 said:

Really nice Thud, and a great job on producing a B-model

Thanks mate. Much appreciated.

3 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Nicely done Test Thud :worthy:

Thanks a million, Dennis

38 minutes ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

Looks great, Martin! 👍

Cheers! 🙂

Appreciated, as always, Nikolay

Martin

• Like 1

Martin,

Another awesome Thud! Been following the build since the beginning and she turned out great! How about a photo of your Thud lineup so we can see all of them again? Can't wait to see how the Voodoo turns out, if this one is any indication. As @Baldy said, you might try using a drafting pencil to do panel lines/riveting on nmf models. If you get the sharpener that is used for drafting pencils, you will get an incredibly sharp point that can be used in panel lines, control surface gaps, etc. One of my best modeling buddies uses this technique on all of his models, and it looks very realistic, especially after the clear topcoat seals it all in. Also works great for shading the structures, stringers, etc. in cockpits, gear doors,  and flap/wheel bays. Keep 'em coming! (Yes, she is still at Lackland- will take some photos for you the next time I'm out that way.)

Mike

@phildagreek @72modeler @David Womby @modelling minion @Mig88 

Thanks a bunch, chaps. 

Mike, I will look in to that pencil idea :). thanks. Yes, if you are out LackLand way I'd love to see how she is now :)...

best to all,

Martin

• Like 2